1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

serious question

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by unluckyluciano, Apr 9, 2009.

1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    So I've heard people mention him, I've seen the shows talking about him, from your personal experience or thoughts, who was RFK and what made him special to america?

2. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

To me Jack and Bobby were two sides of the same coin, more than brothers, confidants, I think Bobby knew every move Jack would/did make. Even more so than LBJ and the rest of the cabinet. There was a joke when I was in the Navy about Bobby, Jack, and the Bay of Pigs. The President gave Bobby a note about air cover during the operation, Bobby put it in his pocket and promply forgot it. True or not, I don't know but the air cover was no show, ok.

When he desided to run against LBJ in 68 IMHO he really became his own man (out of Jack's shadow) and he changed into a much better, more caring person. You could see him grow as he made his whisle stops, he would have made a great president IMHO.

I was as hurt by Bobby's death as I was by Jack's. What a loss, so very sad. I was sitting and watching him speak after winning in Ca and still remember him wiping his hair back from his forehead and saying "Now lets go to Chicago and win this thing!" the crowd roared and the next thing you know he was dead.

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    thanks bro. I appreciate it............. bumping for my own selfish purposes.....

gafinfan likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, what sticks in my mind about RFK is he ordered wiretaps on MLK's phones, the fact that is "lost" to history is mind blowiing to me.

It's a key compenent of the times, yet is rarely mentioned..if at all.

gafinfan and unluckyluciano like this.
  5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    and ol J Edgar didn't have them first... rightttttt. He hated King nearly as bad as he hated the Kennedy's. He had the dirt on the Kennedy boys and the instant Jack's death was announced he pulled Bobby's car and driver.

I have to think about this lucky, I will return.

gafinfan and unluckyluciano like this.
  6. gafinfan

I'm glad you brought that up, among other things, Bobby was just another polition playing the game until he desided to run for President. He "found" himself if you will. That superior "I know whats best for you" feeling that most of the DC crowd think of us common people was replaced with someone who really cared about people. He was speaking at one of his stops, I don't remember where and a black woman handed Bobby her child, maybe 2 or 3, and the change was amazing in his speech and body language. He held this little boy for about 10 minutes (unheard of) finished the speech, kissed the boy and handed him back to his mom. He got my vote on that very day.

AS I said he would have made one hell of a President. JMHO:up:

cnc66 and 2socks like this.
  7. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I'll bet a million dollars RFK's assassination had something to do with the shared desire he had with JFK to end the Federal Reserves strangle hold on the US Economy..................................:wink2:

gafinfan likes this.
  8. gafinfan

I've thought that for about the last ten years! With all due respect to all of you grunts out there even if Oswald was a Marine. A $39.00 rifle with WWII ammo, give me a break!!! First of all if, and thats the biggy, he was THAT good he would have been on the Marine Rifle Squad firing 5-6 days a week. No Way he makes that shot with that gun, Hathcock I could see (MAYBE) but Oswald, are you kidding me! Thats the kind of luck you have when you win the Lotto for 350 Million or so! Oswald was a loser, not saying he wasn't the fall guy but he was not the killer, no way!

As for Bobby way to many questions and way to many bullet holes in walls. The Kennedy brothers were marked because they wanted to do the right thing. Teddy is a different breed of kitty, no guts IMHO, so sad.:pity:

9. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    RFK genuinely cared about the poor. he was to the left of JFK, but his arguments carried more weight and had more meaning in that era, imo.

i think that it cant be discounted though that there is some romanticism tied to him because he was killed. he get a pass on some things because of that. same with JFK. the fact that JFK got into vietnam is little more than trivia

unluckyluciano likes this.