1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SF area jobs?

Discussion in 'Jobs Forum' started by daphins, Nov 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Hey all,

I graduated last may with a degree in Architecture. Needless to say things aren't going to well in the job hunt. I spent some time in Chicago right before the bottom fell out, but failed to scare up a job. I've REALLY wanted to move to SF for years, but haven't been able to get a foot in the door in the area. At this point I've moved back home (the middle of nowhere Iowa) and am getting really nervous about being "trapped" here. I've spoken to a few firms in the SF area and they'll speak to me if I come to town but I haven't gotten any solid leads. There's no jobs for my career here and it seems that I'm just waiting out the economy at this point, but that doesn't do me a whole lot of good. There's nothing in the area that will help me build my resume.

At this point I'm strongly considering just biting the bullet and moving to SF, living in a shack and finding a part time job doing whatever for however long it takes for this to blow over. Per my contacts in SF I don't stand a snowball's chance of getting a job unless I live in the area witih this current economy. They suggest that I just move out and subside while i look for a foot in the door.

Does anyone have any contacts for any job whatsoever in the SF area? It can be Starbucks, a fish market, whatever it takes.

Thanks

2. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

A lot of firms are laying engineers and profesional designers off right now. I am surprised you are even able to snag an interview. I deal with architects and S.E.s for a living so I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for anything that may come up.

Does it have to be in S.F? Would you entertain offers in the East Bay?

3. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I know of nothing in the bay area currently, but I tell you the closer you get to S.F. the more outrageous that shack is going to cost you. Unless you're independently wealthy or have one hell of a savings it's going to be tough to live in S.F. without having a foothold first.

Best of luck.

4. Samphin

Tis very true, If you head east from San Francisco for about 30-45 minutes on 580, you can probably find some reltively "affordable" housing in the Livermore/Tracy area I say relative because everything out here is still more expensive than what you are probably used to.

I tell you this not to discourage you form coming out here. It is a great place to live. But I would hate for you to make your way out here and either end up in a terrible neighborhood (The Tenderloin, Hunter's Point etc.), or too far away from where you want to be and leaving.

I assume you have done your research on what to expect out here price wise.

5. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    For sure. I've been looking anywhere on the west coast, it's just that if I had to pick a place to move to the SF area would be easiest. While it costs more overall I can do it without owning a car (which would be a big help), and I've found housing for 500-600 a month with a roommate (which sucks but you have to do what you have to do) if necessary. The move (unless something comes up) will be a few months out, so thanks for the heads up on areas to live. It helps having input since I'm not out there.

6. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    living with others isn't so bad. I live with my brother and another friend (our rent is still kinda rediculous at 900/mth each) but we have a good amount of space and we have a good time--i too haven't found an ideal job yet but have been kickin it with part time jobs, etc. so far. so if you found something for 5-600 its definitely very doable. heck, you could make more than that donatin' sperm 3 times a week :wink2:

i know what you mean though about wanting to move away. I'm from rural PA and certainly did not want to go back there after school, so I moved to LA to be with my bro and be in a city, and I'm loving it. If you decide to move out west, best of luck to you bro

7. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    you work for james hardie?

8. Samphin

No, although I come across their products all the time. In fact, one of our divisions makes a fastener for their backerboard material.