1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Share with us, how to read the read option..mike backer style.?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Apr 30, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    In watching these middle linebackers, it makes me even more adamant that if we have a Qb who can run this formation, we should, because these middle linebackers in college haven't figured out a way to stop it, the Mosleys and shazier's are just guessing and it's not working, their getting gouged..

My question is for those who really understand schematics from that position, and what a player playing that position has to do, what keys he has to read to make him more effective?, or is it simply an innate instinctual sense?

The read option is very real at the NFL level, it isn't and shouldn't go away because what it's all about is creating hesitation, and when you can get defenders to think and hesitate, you have already gained an important edge in winning the play.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  2. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    You're referring to these rookie linebackers that hesitate and can't stop the read option. But what about these intelligent vets that can and do often. I think the read option works but only when the execution is perfect and it's called at the right time. Look at guys like Kaepernick and RGIII who struggled to keep it going with the read option once everyone started to catch on.

Unlucky 13 and Larryfinfan like this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Linebackers aren't asked to actually read the option as much as people tend to believe, I don't think. I believe they're supposed to prioritize one or the other based on the scheme or play call and then once they've verified that their top priority doesn't have the ball, flow as best they can to the secondary option. One of the nice things about Ryan Shazier is that where most linebackers get out of the play once they've respected that top priority, Shazier can still speed his way out to the ball carrier and nail him. You see this happen a fair amount.

Boik14 and ssmiami like this.
  4. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Auburn's offense embarrassed Mosley and Alabama. Their QB and RB were threats, and the O had the whole year to perfect their hurry-up scheme. Part of me was angry with Mosley at how often he was fooled (for big gains) and Bama's inability to adjust. The game did come down to a fluke play, however.

5. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    An MLB is generally assigned to a RB. Thus, it is normal that MLBs hesitate, that is part of being disciplined.

ckparrothead likes this.
  6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This is the kind of situation where someone needs to light the Dumonjić signal, but in lieu of him gracing us with his presence.

To my understanding, the 101-level concept in defending the read option is the scrape exchange. Basically instead of the backside edge player being forced to make a correct decision, a scrape exchange dictates that he attacks the runningback(which theoretically prompts the QB to tuck and run), and the backside linebacker keys on the quarterback.

Beyond that point, there's a whole lot of wrinkles and defensive counters. You get the Pistol offense trying to defeat scrape exchanges with a fullback who swings from the backside of the play to seal the linebacker keying on the QB. You have midline read, where you block the end and linebacker involved in the scrape exchange but leave the backside tackle unblocked and read him. Etc. and so on, there's a lot of stuff.

I don't know it's a middle linebacker specific issue, though, or that it's the position you need to beat a read option. I don't think at this point there are any defensive coordinators who are treating it as arrogant college bull**** anymore, but I think you definitely need a defensive coordinator who is going to arm himself with the appropriate weapons and knowledge to defend the various wrinkles. Players with remarkable physical attributes certainly help, and let you get a bit creative with it- A guy like Dion Jordan might be able to athletically compensate for being put on an island. Ryan Shazier is another guy you could maybe put in that category.

GMJohnson, Boik14 and djphinfan like this.
  7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You make a good point about the vets learning as they go, however, the read option is rampant and successful throughout the league, Kaepernick and Wilson run it consistently and there is much room for it to evolve, hell the times Ryan has run it his average is well over 7 yards per carry..

If you remember the bills game two Years ago he ran for about 100 yards on 10 read option carries..

My point remains, these kids cannot stop it at the college level, were seeing results at the NFL level, the formation when run by a Qb who is a legit double threat has infinite possibilities, the only concern I see is not wanting your Qb to be susceptible to injury..

From a pure football standpoint, just watch these ends and linebackers, they are clueless if the Qb is good, maybe a defense can get lucky from time to time but I believe the formation is still in it's infancy stages, and what I'm seeing from projected first round draft picks, is that unless you have some sort of innate sense, it will continue to shred defenses at all levels..

Don't watch CJ Mosley against auburn..that's a nick Saban defense.

8. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure quarterback rushing meaningfully declined last year. RGIII was hurt, but other than that?

http://pickingpros.com/nfl/quarterback-rushing-leaders.php

9. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    True, also have to factor in the HB's getting stuffed as well because D-Lineman and LB's aren't being fooled. I just think teams are preparing for it more so it's not as effective as it was in the beginning. I do like running the option play call but I think defenses are starting to catch on.

10. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Kill ball.

Kill anything holding the ball.

I that that about covers it. Next question?

11. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think you're dramatically overrating the trickery aspect of it. An unprepared defense is in a terrible position, but it's football. It's as legitimate and as fundamentally sound as football gets, treating it as if it is a fad waiting for a silver bullet isn't something that passes the smell test for me.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That was part of the question..so it's basic innate ability and instincts from a defensive perspective that has to stop it, so basically they can be fooled, they can get caught up in hesitation, and when you have players with the talents of a Wilson, Kaepernik, Luck, RG, you have win matchup from the Qb, also, while they may be a good linebacker, they may lack in the dept of reading this specific trait..

Take Mosley for example against his arch rival auburn, against a Qb that is not as good as Kaepernik or Wilson, just schooled by the formation, couldn't guess right thus neutralizing their best defender.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm glad you feel this way, it gets annoying defending the formation..

Take your athletic Qb who an run, take his intellect, and I'll take the skillset and his reads over the linebacker or end most of the time..

Mariota will be the next big star, his film is littered with up the gut chunk runs based on completely outsmarting the defense individually.

14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    To Con's point, its basically disciplined aggression with an ability to make the proper read. I know that makes no sense but in football it does. You have to stay aggressive yet stay in the proper lanes and stick to the proper assignments and techniques. You cant over-pursue the play or you'll be wondering why the play is still going and youre tackling a guy who doesnt have the ball.

15. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Whoever is covering the RB, and that is usually MLB but it could be OLB, has to hesitate, will always hesitate. It's different then play action pass in a sense that in play action pass there are only 2 options, hand off, pass. In play actoin, MLB can blitz and cover the run and QB. In read option, there is hand off, pass, run. Whoever covers the RB must hesitate, or gamble.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    sounds like a serious advantage for offensive football, I hope Lazor believes.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and I've watched the all American middle linebacker get beat over and over again, might as well eliminate the defender on the field, that has to account for something right.