1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheldon Richardson won DROY, Kiko Alonso in 2nd; Did the Dolphins make a huge mistake

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hidden202, Feb 2, 2014.

1. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Not too sure what you mean here, but Ronnie was destroying the league before his injury...he was #1 in yards from scrimmage in the entire league. That injury was devastating to the team for that year and down the road.

Did Ronnie have injury concerns in the draft like Jordan? I don't remember personally.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I've said it before and I was a big fan of the guy coming out of college, but it's hard to project lazy and dumb from where we sit.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ill take that point a step further, we basically traded a 2nd for the action to move up 9 spots in the first round..

Richardson was one of the top 5 players in the drafts..blue chip all the way..special football player and the safer pick..

Jordan was as well..they were in a dead heat on my board..

4. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Its way to early to find any conclusion on Dion Jordan. He hasn't justified the moves we made to draft him so far but he could turn into a special player. He wants to play and seems to have a good attitude, in saying he knew he had to put on some bulk while maintaining his speed. Didn't we have a real versatile DE/LB who provided a strong rush but could drop back in coverage? AJ Duhe I believe?

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sheldon has just scratched the surface..he can line up anywhere on the from 7.. His movement skills are that agile and fluid..he also had two tds.lol

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    DJ has way more athleticism, imo. A guy that can rush the passer and cover the best TEs in todays game is very rare.

RB finally worked himself to his best but never had anywhere near the ceiling we do w DJ.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lets hope he has the right attitude..during the offseason.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe Dion Jordan has as much talent as any football player in the league at his size..I just hope he knows what to do with it, and his coaches know how to use it.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    12 th Man gettin shout outs everywhere...must be nice.

Smart franchise..

10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I love how people want to discredit Olivier Vernon's 11.5 sack season. Was he a dominant pass rusher in 2013? No. But he also didn't just luck into 11.5 sacks either. He improved.

And yes, I agree that there is a lot of good talent on the defensive line, but it's also been a strength of our for years. So when was the last time a player not named Cam Wake had double digit sacks? I certainly can't remember.

Instead of looking at Vernon and seeing a young guy who showed good improvement from year 1 to year 2 and thinking that we have a solid player blossoming, people are finding ways to tarnish him. I guess that's just par for the course for Dolphins fans these days.

Sceeto, DPlus47, Ohio Fanatic and 4 others like this.
  11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Shoulder injury set him back but we didn't use him nearly as much as some other guys.

12. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    2nd year 3rd round pick? I can't complain about Vernon's year.

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If that's the point then it's a pretty dumb one. Richardson would have been behind Starks, Odrick and perhaps Soliai as a DT for us. Alonso would have been behind Ellerbe. Neither guy would have started or been in consideration for DROY.

Even Jordan wa behind Wake and Vernon at DE and Wheeler/Misi at OLB an when those two were out the coaches often went to Jenkins/Trusnik, especially in the base D. Had Jordan gone to NY he would have started at OLB and probably would have produced a lot more than he did here. Same players, different situations, which is why it's usually not a good idea to play the what if game with draftees.

DPlus47, gunn34 and TopLoader like this.
  14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Great point but Its not all Dolphin fans, just the ones who are smarter than everyone else.

15. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    The only mistake was on the DC for not getting him on the field later in the season, when I assume his injury was healed or not near the issue at the start of the season. When that kid was on the field he made plays pure and simple. I am so excited about our young kids. Get that Oline fixed and we will see Tanny and Lamar explode and inturn the WRs will explode giving the D more rest during the game and welll............we need some LBs too lol

gunn34 likes this.
  16. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    This coaching staff has showed me nothing to feel confident that can develop jordan.

17. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Like many have said earlier, it's way too soon to call it an overall mistake. Immediate mistake? Yes, but hopefully Jordan will have a long dominate career. While we're talking about defensive draft selections: Earl Thomas is the "leader" of the best D in the league and a world champion. Good thing we still have odrick & misi.

18. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    He can't be productive at any position on a front 7... that's crazy talk DJ.

19. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Don't know who is tarnishing him but they are silly if they are.
    Yes he benefited by Cam Wake being on the other side.
    That said, he still had to beat the one on one match ups on his side and he did a pretty good job of it.
    There are teams that have a stud pass rusher on one side that gets all the attention and the other side of their DL still does not produce squat.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well, I've seen him play outside linebacker, middle linebacker, d-tackle, and defensive end, and make plays at all four, I'm not saying that they should stick him at outside linebacker I'm just saying that he's one of the most versatile defenders in the league, I do think you underrated him with the comment that he can't rush the passer..

He can rush the passer, he can play in space..this is a very large man that can move like one who is a lot smaller.

21. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    It's not about tarnishing him... It's about who the best player at DE is going to be going forward in the long term. Vernon did improve from year 1 to 2. His 11 sack season doesn't negate the Dion Jordan pick because I think Jordan is a better pass rusher. Despite having 9.5 less sacks, he still graded out higher than OV in pass rushing. Calling like it is, isn't an ******* maneuver. weak sauce.

22. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida
    I don't mind the drafting of Jordan, but the fact that this team gave up a chance at acquiring Albert to move up and get Jordan is what killed everything...

Albert protecting the backside (which has been reported as a move Philbin wanted to make) would have paid huge dividends.

23. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    What makes you say he can rush the passer?

24. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    WAY too early to tell for sure. Sure some other rookies made bigger impacts in their rookie seasons but you can't tell if a draft pick was a bust off of one season. I actually liked the move when Ireland made it, I thought it was a out of character risk/reward move and I was fine with it. Now would I like to see Dion make a much bigger impact? Sure. If we are sitting here next offseason talking about a 2-3 sack season with minimal impact then we can start assuming that the pick was awful. I think Dion is a very unique talent and I hope he's on the field a lot more, he can't make plays from the sideline, he isn't Mike Tomlin.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    For a 300 lb man, I would say his talent, power, hands, agility will bode well coming from the three technique.

26. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Are you projecting for future ability or do you believe he's already a good pass rusher?