1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherman believes in the Wallace affect.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Nov 19, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    There were some reports from posters who said that they isolated him and he was doggin it on some plays.

While I do believe the style contrast between Qb and Wallace's skillset is not the most symbiotic relationship, maybe the adaptation of Wallace can still happen, maybe he can continue to learn the position, learn this style of Qb, and adapt, he's going to be here another year at least so I'd like to see if he's going to submerge himself into his craft,and maybe have a few sleepovers with Ryan and Lauren to improve that chemistry.

And maybe Ryan needs to study some film of Ben Rothlisberger and see just what it was about his game that he could implement to his..I'm sure they've talked about that, and I know what it is, I'm just not sure Ryan knows how to do it, he seems unable to understand the line of when to see that it's not there and scramble..

And just in case Ryan has been brainwashed as to where that line is, maybe Sherman can unbrainwash the guy this offseason so we can best utilize one of our weapons, and not run a timing based offense 100 percent of the time..

Is that possible, is there such a thing as a switch of philosophies on offense during a game?

Is it as simple as this was the way this Qb had to be trained first, and now that he has been engrained, we will start to branch out from that philosophy ?

Sherman's reasoning as to why it hasn't clicked..

Could it be as simple as that???. Well, if they can click and he could explode somewhat and help us complete this run at that playoffs, that would certainly help justify the salary.

ToddPhin and GridIronKing34 like this.
  2. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Ryan needs to hire qb coach guru, George Whitfield Jr., stop working with Chris Weinke (lol), and learn to throw an accurate deep ball. Also a new offensive coordinator who knows what the hell he's doing would be nice too.

Chemistry fixed!

Phins_Fan_87 likes this.
  3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    *effect

:shifty:

4. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think a major reason they haven't clicked is because Tannehill just can't throw the ball deep on a consistent basis. In the past two games, Wallace was several yards behind the defensive back and Tannehill missed him by a big margin both times. It has got to be frustrating for Wallace, who was signed to bring the big pass play back to this offense and the QB doesn't have the arm to get him the ball when he is wide open down field.

This offense has not scored a single TD in the fourth quarter of the past five games. That is when the top QB's are at their best. I haven't given up on Tannehill for the future, but he needs to step up and show a lot more than he has so far. At this rate, it won't surprise if the Dolphins aren't looking to draft another young QB of the future in the 2015 draft if Tannehill doesn't show drastic improvement over the remainder of this season and in the 2014 season.

Fin-Omenal and finwin like this.
  5. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    The effect being that teams have to prepare for him as a deep threat, which may open the underneath routes. Gibson, Matthews, and Hartline have done pretty well this year, and not to forget Clay.

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What a boatload of b.s. from Sherman.

Kind of like Philbin's espoused team culture and values he preaches but doesn't instill or implement.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    How is it a boatload of BS? Even the announcers noticed Wallace drawing coverage and made it a point to convey this to the audience on a replay from above.

cuchulainn and MrClean like this.
  8. Bpk

Reflecting on it, it doesn't surprise me that htis problem is lingering... because in all likelihood it is being avoided and explained away, instead of the root of the problems really being confronted.

Classic Philbin leadership model: ignore it and it will resolve itself over time.

****ing seriously?

We are 5 MONTHS into these guys getting to work together. Someone, or several someones, are NOT putting 110% effort into sitting down and honestly getting to the point about what wrong, then busting their asses to fix it. More time? Great, get the **** out on the practice field for extra work together. Hell, ****, sleep, eat and breathe together until this gets sorted out. Or maybe, Sherman, look at yourself and your part in this. Could you design plays better to increase the window fo time between the moment Wallace comes open and the last moment Tannehill has to deliver the ball before it's too late. Design bigger TIME windows in which Tannehill can hit Wallace.

Wallace is going to post a career low in TDs here... but nothing's wrong. Maybe another year and something will spontaneously change and resolve itself.

No wonder Sherman got fired. And no wonder this lockerroom runs amok. The staff buries it's head in the sand and hopes problems will solve themselves.

9. Bpk

First of all, Wallace is clearly NOT playing all out. To say otherwise is spin, otherwise known as bull-****.

This what really pissed me off, though...

Or it takes doing something differently than the approach that isn't working to CHANGE the results, Sherman. Ever think of that? Naw.

Pariah likes this.
  10. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Armando on Twitter:

11. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    tannehill cant throw deep and wallace gives up after bad throws they're both at fault

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    how bout actually throwing the deep ball, in various ways, on various platforms, more than once a game..even if it's on purpose, without the pressure of having to make it work..how bout when you see Wallace one on one on the outside, it's an automatic check to Wallace on a quick drop and chuck.

Bpk and smahtaz like this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That requires trust in the receiver. I've yet to see anything from Wallace the would facilitate trust from Tannehill.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh my Deej, never bother with what the Staff has to say, they blow nothing but smoke like mini Baghdad Bob's.

I'm happy with Wallace and think we see a payoff in 2014, would like to see THill hit him on some deep stuff to keep Defenses honest, also think Tannehill is slow to adjust to new guys coming into the System.

Why take a shot at Wallace deep when Bline is open for 14 yds on the sideline?

shula_guy likes this.
  16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If Wallace broke off a deep route and turned it into a "in" we'd see a 35 yd completion easy.

Cb is pissed scared of the deep ball, it should be open all day in man to man coverage

17. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Ryan can deliver a deep ball he isn't Pennington.. he isn't accurate enough with it.. his touch is way off on the deep stuff but he has plenty of arm for it.

18. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    He needs to be coached when Wallace has the DB toasted to throw it hard and bring it away from the sideline so Wallace can get under it....throwing it short or out of bounds is unacceptable.

Pariah likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Only way to get better at it is to throw it more often, BUT, usually the offense is in 2nd and 8's or what have you making the underneath stuff more attractive.

Personally would love to start out a gm with Thill just tossing it 60 yds in the air trying to hit Wallace

MAFishFan and mullingan like this.
  20. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    How about hitting Wallace on a 20-30 Yd go and stop. They only use 10 yards or Go that 's the only two plays I've seen Wallace run. The coaching is embarasing and it's a down right waste of talent.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    You guys keep using "trust" as an excuse. Please explain why.

If RT didn't TRUST Wallace to fight for a ball and could result in an interception, then logic says he would be overthrowing him so the defenders have no play on the ball. That's clearly not what has been happening.

Fact is Tanny struggles with an accurate deep ball, like it or not.

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    That's not true, though. It seems to only be a problem with Wallace. I don't see an issue with deep passes when it is to Hartline or Clay.

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Yea those guys catch a ton of deep balls...:up:

We have a WR who's consistently open for TDs, and our QB isn't getting him the ball. Just because some of you hate Wallace doesn't mean you should ignore the obvious.

24. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Hate Wallace?? Who said I hate him. I'm just stating facts. Last season, he was a very good QB with the deep ball. With receivers not named Wallace, he's still very good this season. When he throws the ball deep to Wallace, he's not very good.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I said some.

And in Pittsburgh Mike Wallace was a big play machine who scored double digit TDs. He just needs to put some air under his deep ball and let loose, 11 will get to it.

26. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013
    I can't wait until they hook up, just so the hater's lone argument will be gone.

27. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Go look at some of those deep balls in Pitt and see how many were under thrown. You'll be surprised.

I won't say Tannehill has poor deep accuracy. I would say its middle of the pack. What I do notice, however, is the poor design of our deep passes to Wallace. With all that went into that deep pass against SD (play fake and wide to the far sideline), there's little question as to why that pass failed. Wallace is too fast for these play fakes as he's too far downfield by the time the QB is ready to throw. As well, almost all of our deep passes are along the sideline so Tannehill has to have pinpoint vertical and horizontal accuracy. These are low percentage passes for any QB.

Most deep passes to Wallace should be exactly as it was against Cincy. Check out to a 3 step drop against man coverage and toss it deep. That was a perfect pass and if it wasn't for the PI call we wouldn't be talking about this issue.

rafael, cuchulainn and Fin D like this.
  28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I dunno if I totally buy that, it's not like RT doesn't have the arm strength to lay it out there.

I would just assume he doesn't miss him anymore and we won't need to discuss it. The day someone says "ha ha! Told you Tannehill has a good deep ball" I'll be a happy man.

29. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    It's coming and it will happen. Both Jerry Rice and Cris Carter said it takes about a year for a QB and a WR to develop chemistry. And I think that's what the core issue is here.

I would like to see Wallace moved around like Steve Smith or sent deep from higher percentage spots on the field like TY Hilton. I think the frustration we heard from Wallace today was due to how he is being utilized. His speed is such an advantage and it is just being wasted stuck out on the right and with the odd WR screen (that has worked once).

On the bright side, he could have gone full on diva today but didn't. That's a good sign.

30. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I said before I would love to see all of his deep balls this season. Several times I wondered if he was able to completely follow through because of the rush. I don't know but it makes me wonder. Time to throw is obviously related.

31. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I agree with Fin Omenal but I won't be happy just because they connect once or twice when T'hill inaccuracy with the long ball and Sherman's terrible schemes have left so many points off the board and cost us games that shouldn't even have been close. Even if Wallace gets 4 TDs, we go into next season knowing Tannehill has a weakness with accuracy on the long pass.

Why did it take Sherman 10 games to roll T'hill out more and have him run it once or twice? Why did it take so long for Tannehill to learn to step up in the pocket a skill he seems to be improving on but should be instinct at this point. Why hasn't he figured out when it's time to tuck the ball and run yet? If something doesn't click soon with this team, specifically improved offensive performance, then Sherman and Zack Taylor need to be gone before the end of the season.

phintasmic likes this.
  32. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Ben hit him a ton off playaction. Maybe Wallace ran the routes differently or something, waited a beat to get to top speed. But saying that you can't throw to Wallace off playaction makes very little sense to me. Pittsburgh also used him deep middle a lot, not just tightroping the sidelines.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08f3uKVpebA

Playaction into a 7-step drop, steps up for a beat, ball goes about 55 yards on the money. I think you're right that using the middle may be good because the ball doesn't have to travel so far a distance to get upfield.

This one's about the same thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twz6SH0ylpk

And this is the play that got me hyped for signing him. I mean, christ them's some wheels right there (excuse low quality): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1nV6xcXyQ

33. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Tannehill and Wallace are 3 of 17 for 129 yards and 0 TD's going deep. Tannehill is manning up and taking the blame and responsibility. Wallace is pouting over something that all 3 parties, including Sherman, are involved in.

Last year, 2012, Rothliesburger connected with Wallace deep on just 6 of 31 for 263 yards and 4 TD's. Wallace missed 1 or 2 games I think.

In 2011, Rothliesburger connected with Wallace on 10 of 27 for 478 yards and 5 TD's.

So far this season Tannehill is 9 of 34 deep, and has connected with Wallace on just 3 of 17 for 129 yards. That's actually a better completion percentage than Rothliesburger's, and about the same in throwing to Wallace without the TD's.

Rothliesburger also had a couple seasons to mesh with Wallace. Tannehill has had 10 games, and almost no preseason as Wallace had an injury thru most of it.

Tannehill went 20 of 51 last year, which was better than Rothliesburger's percentage over the last two seasons. I think the issues this season tie into what CK was saying about the play design and the timing affecting their synchronizing on the deep pass plays. We know Tannehill has the arm, but what he hasn't had is the time in the pocket and not enough roll outs to extend plays. A primary reason Wallace was more successful in Pittsburgh was because Rothliesburger could extend plays with his legs and wait for Wallace to beat the coverage downfield on busted plays.

We saw Tannehill rolling out against the Chargers. They're going to have to do more of that against Carolina's stout DLine. I'm hoping things get better with Wallace in the next 6 games as hitting him deeper will be more vital to having success.

34. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, that's all it takes for you guys, a one game sample size is enough to shut up the "haters". I'll need Desean Jackson production from Wallace to get me to shut up about how much Wallace sucks. And Desean makes less money than him. Hell as of right now I would like Wallace to be as good as impactful as Ted Ginn.

35. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I have a tally of deep ball action to Mike Wallace this season:

15 Total Deep Vertical Throws
    -2 Hail Mary Passes
    -2 Holding/Pass Interference Penalties
    -1 Arm Hit as Threw

+1 Catch for 49 Yards (Ravens)
    +1 Catch for 46 Yards (Bills)
    +1 Catch for 34 Yards (Colts)
    +1 Catchable but Caught OOBs (Bucs)
    +1 Drop (Saints)
    -1 Overthrow (Browns - 55 yard throw)
    -1 Underthrow (Ravens - 45 yard throw)
    -1 Bad Decision (Browns - WR stumbled but poor decision regardless)
    -1 Bad Decision (Patriots - Didn't look off safety)
    -1 Bad Timing (Chargers - Questionable play design)

Conclusion:
    Pretty much the law of small numbers in action. A few poor circumstances result in low percentages in a small sample pool, creating a crowd perception which feeds on itself through confirmation bias. This is enhanced by poor body language from Mike Wallace who is clearly frustrated with a number of things in Miami, not least of which is UNDER-use.

You only have 10 deep balls whose accuracy is gradable, and 5 of them were perfectly catchable. Two more were issues with decision-making, not necessarily accuracy. On one of them the receiver stumbled as he passed a DB (could've been flagged illegal contact easily) and so it's impossible to tell if the ball was accurate or not. However, it was a bad decision to throw the football to the inside where the safety could get into the play, so that makes it a bad decision. He overthrew one ball by only about a yard on a 55 yard throw. However, he underthrew one against the Ravens very badly as he only got 45 yards of distance when 52 to 55 would have done the trick. The Chargers throw I insist was as much an issue of play design as it was Tannehill not throwing far enough. The design and timing built into that play dictated that he needed a 60 yard throw to hit someone as fast as Wallace in stride. No play should be built into the playbook expecting the QB to throw 60 yards of distance.

36. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Those are decent numbers, but like you say just not enough of them. Five out of the fifteen are positive plays.

It seemed like there were a couple of more plays where he couldn't step into the throw more because of a defender rushing up the middle?

And thanks for doing the work.

37. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Personally I look at it as 5 good outcomes on 13 plays because I strongly disagree with counting Hail Mary plays. When you consider that 2 more of those plays didn't work due to receiver error, I think that's an acceptable percentage. I'm not saying there isn't a lack of chemistry between the two players. There is. But the overall effectiveness is there, regardless of the chemistry not being quite what it could be yet.

38. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    As always, I appreciate the clear cut information you provide.

this is where people who say "Can Tannehill even overthrow him?" bug me

The answer is yes, Tannehill can hit that mark, but can you actually expect him to do that, behind our line, while pinning it right on the sideline? It's a crazy request.

39. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Limbo - I stand corrected that you cannot use play-action with Wallace but from those clips, it appears as if route selection and timing is crucial. What is noticeable is that Pittsburgh attacked the deep middle of the field. This is essential as there has to be room for error. Note the adjustment made on the second clip (picked up by the commentators as well). That pass here sails out of bounds as Wallace is pinned along the sidelines.

This is what amazes me. We have visual evidence of how best to use Wallace yet we refuse to. I do not know why our coaches wouldn't because, you know, it's only their careers on the line.

I have a little more sympathy for Wallace' plight now because if we are picking up on it, you can be damn certain he is.

Fin D likes this.
  40. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    This is just people using twitter and the media to make assessments regarding players. Nothing like letting the facts speak for themselves.

We have quantifiable proof that Tannehill is not a poor deep thrower but why let the facts get in the way of a wonderful narrative?

Of the issues though, I keep coming back to the sideline throws as the biggest impediment. Those have to be absolutely perfect to be successful whereas the middle of the field allows for significant error on the part of the QB.