1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherman says Tannehill 's tipped passes on him

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jpep13, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
  2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Glad to see Sherman doing this publicly and not babying a rookie QB as to not hurt his feelings. Also shows that Tannehill can handle the pressure and there is no need for them to wonder about destroying a rookie qb psyche.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I said in the the other thread I think that he was playing at a 100 mph, and when your playing like that your not thinking to much, your just trying to execute your responsibility (drop, aim, release), he's going to have to be able to shift his upper body and adjust the platform for which he releases, the game has to slow down for him so he can think about those things as there happening..he's not there yet where he can just relax and play ball and bring some improvisation to his game, there was none of that against the texans, let's hope the kid is a fast learner and just needed to feel the tempo improvement from preseason, adjust his time clock, and go to the next level.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  4. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'd ask for apologies from the 2 individuals who called me out in the game thread and claimed I knew nothing about football, probably never played and was just a stupid Canadian.....but I'm not that type of guy.

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Game threads are the spawning grounds for idiocy such as you describe. That's why I tend to avoid them, most of the time. What was your stance that got them to call you a stupid Canadian?

6. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Completely disagree on the bolded part. He did a pretty good job improvising in the early part of the game. I remember two plays that stood out. An ad libbed shovel pass to Reggie after scrambling, and then the play where he was trying to avoid the blitz, was falling away and threw a side arm pass to Davone.

jazz, Trowa and Hiruma78 like this.
  7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I would have called you much worse things than Canadian :tongue2:

MikeHoncho, Rocky Raccoon and PSG like this.
  8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Not apologizing. I could really care less what Sherman says in public, Philbin already stated there were other factors than Tannehill including some of the ones we pointed out.

Article actually made me lose respect for Sherman because he fails to even recognize there is a problem even though the problem dates back to his coaching in college.

Though I never called you a stupid canadian....that was the other guy.

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If you really could care less, maybe you should apologize. :shifty:

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Couldnt care less :lol: happy?

Anyway to further my point PSG I actually am sorry I said the know nothing about football line...that was over the top. However I stand by my personal analysis. This is from the Philbin show.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    "none" was a poor choice of words, from a totality standpoint, I think he didn't feel comfortable enough thor those skills to kick in.

12. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    It was pretty obvious they were on Tannehill. Specifically the one slant to the right. Like Keith Sims pointed out, it was an awful job by Martin to not engaged the DL quicker and keep him at the LOS. However, Tannehill should have seen that, should have reacted and either should have gone to his next progression or should of quickly found a passing lane to throw it in. Because a pop warner QB could of told us that wasn't a clean passing lane. You can't make that throw.

So yes, the OL had some issues with that, but ultimately RT threw the pass that shouldn't have been thrown.

djphinfan and Bpk like this.
  13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Dude, he mentioned this AFTER saying the primary issue was Tannehill not using his eyes, and locking onto his first read.

But yeah, he acknowledged that OL can help a bit. Mainly it's a Tannehill issue though.

14. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010

I'm glad he finally explained it to the entire free world. I was sitting here lmao at all the " experts ' former Oline broadcasters( Keith Sims) and talking heads included on how to throw a " well timed punch " or " hit the defender just at the right time " on how to stop Dlineman from jumping up and raising their arms.

Amytime a ball is swatted its 100% ON THE QB, everytime. He or no one else can stop a Dlineman from jumping in the air. When Sims played they did not have many 6'5" lineman that ran 40s in the sub 4.7 or were even a smidgeon as athletic as they are now.

I said it before and people mentioned these folk lore " well timed " punches or a well timed shove. LMAO as I said, now you have heard it from the horses mouth. A QB has to get used to their athleticism, make better decisions and find the open lanes. Tannehill is going to be fine as soon as he adjusts to the game. And no, there isn't a man on the planet earth that can give a " well timed punch " to neutralize an athletic Dlineman from jumping in the air. What a crock of BS folklore that was.

What really needs to be done is the NFL changes its antiquated rules on Olineman cannot hold their opponent. You take anyone you wish and let them grab you, shove you, tug on your shirt and you attempt to hold them back just by pushing them because you are not permitted to grab them ? Yeah I guess if you are a black belt in Karate its possible.

Olineman should be allowed the same freedom Dlineman are allowed. Would make for a much better football game period. Its not rocket science on why you cannot find too many good Olineman these days. Allow them to do what the Defense could do and magically good Olineman would appear again.

15. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

I never said none of it was on Tannehill though. The context of the argument was that in the game thread PSG was placing 200% of the blame of Ryan, where as I said there were other factors to consider.

You know I never said Ryan was faultless. You read the other thread I'm pretty sure, we named a bunch of stuff Ryan could do better himself. The point is just that its not squarely on his shoulders.

CWBIII and Bpk like this.
  16. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Its ALL a Tannehill issue. Do not let the keyboard bangers bother you. Half of them have a hard time walking up the ramps to the upper levels. Tannehill had a problem with it at ATM, he has a problem with it here. I would love to demonstrate to all the board experts on these well timed punches out in the parking lot at Sun Life. I will be there for the next two home games. I am a bit older but in pretty good shape. 6'4" 220 lbs. 62 years old. I would invite any of them to show me personally how they would stop me from jumping up in the air with my arms raised, would love to see this explanation/site.

Isn't a person on this board that could stop me. Well of couse if you sucker punched me in the stomach I would go down but know what ? My arms would still be up and you would have a 15K personal fould called on you. In short, nobody can stop a D Lineman from jumping up in the air.

Would love to see Keith Sims stop Howie Long in real life from jumping up in the air. Love Sims but he would be very embarrassed, very embarrassed.

17. Bpk

Fair enough.

Besides, I get the sense that Philbin and Dherman are playing the tough-love card on Tannehill by making him take the greatest part of responsibility. That forces him to improve, and teaches him that you start by looking at yourself, not blaming other parts of the team.

My sense is that the tipped balls thing is 75% Tannehill, 25% OLine. They are failing to do what they can to help a guy who has a batted balls problem.

HULKFish likes this.
  18. Bpk

Philbins interview strongly and clearly states that the OL can affect keeping a DL's hands down by doing specific things.

CWBIII likes this.
  19. Bpk

I, for one, wouldn't want to tangle with you. Lol.

I agree that it's mainly a Tannehill problem. Ting is, the OL can do some things to help him with his issue.

Ideally, Tannehill fixes it, but in the meantime he needs the OL to do a bit extra to help him.

20. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Nice, its the QB dude. Sherman has a TAD more experience with them then Philbin. Like I said, grab any big HS kid and stand him in front of you and prevent him from jumping up. Without fouling him its impossible.

21. Bpk

Lauren Tannehill on the radio. Said Ryan gets his balls batted at home all the time.

22. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Wouldn't holding within the frame of the body work as a strong arm tie(like hockey fighters) be legal and effective? TIA

23. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    A canadian........ouch!

PSG likes this.
  24. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Name two things the Oline can do once a Dlineman goes in the air that would help please. Punch him ? foul. push him back ? He would still be up in the air. These guys are all 6'4 or 6'5 do you realize how high that is once they raised their arms and jump ? Unless your QB finds the right place, the ball will always be tapped.

Like I said, until the stone age NFL lets the Oline the same freedom the Dline has nothing can actually be done to prevent a Dlineman from going up in the air, nothing. Believe me on this one amigo LOL.

25. Bpk

Joe Philbin came up as an OL and TE coach who focused on blocking. He knows his OL. You can disagree with him, but I'm gonna believe him.

Maybe you can dust his jaw for him to stop his lying ways. :)

Btw, I thought you were a hot chick for months because of the name mommabilly. Figured you were a single mom or something. Now I find out you're a burly brawling dude. Imagine the disappointment. Lol. Nice avatar though.

MrClean likes this.
  26. Bpk

Watch the Philbin interview. He goes through it.

Like I said, you may disagree with him, and that's fine. I mean, he has beady eyes. I wouldn't buy a car from him.

(kidding)

27. Bpk

Mommabilly. I know you feel strongly about the OLine not being able to knock a DL's hands down, and you asked how they could possibly do that.

I would honestly be curious to hear what you thought after listening to Joe Philbins explanation here : http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...w_Week_1/2f44757c-b96e-4147-a3e9-49179d179fdc

It sounded plausible to me, but if you have another take, I'd like to hear it. For real.

28. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012

You wouldn't get one from me. Your post saying Tannehill isn't very good was shortsighted and showed a lack of football knowledge. I just call it like I see it. You can't make that determination after one game against a top team in the NFL.

29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I remember five batted balls and my breakdown of them was:

2 - Tannehill
    2- OL
    1- Amazing defensive play, I believe it was a blitzer and his head wasn't even up. He just sensed the ball and stuck his arms in the air.

The two on the offensive line were : One by Watt. Martin didn't engage at all after the initial hit. He dropped back which is a no-no on three step drops. Watt disengaged, stood there for a half second and times his jump. My issue with the offensive line is that it's one thing for a player to jump you simply can't stop that, the problem comes when the guy is standing there clean with his arms ready. You at least want his arms occupied so that the timing is off and he has to bring his arms up from a lower level. The second was near the goal line on that fourth down. It was basically the exact same concept.

The two I had on Tannehill were the INT to Cushing. I think that was a case of poor drop depth. The ball doesn't have the proper trajectory from his spot in the pocket. You want the ball at a higher level than it was when it reached the line, but his motion is pretty textbook and so I can't say it's that. The other he threw into the helmet of Watt I believe again I think it's because of the trajectory of the ball.

Then the last one I mentioned was just an outstanding defensive play.

30. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thought she said she keeps them in a locked box on the night stand?

:lol:

Cure is to have the OL cut block the DE, but that takes timing between Qb and OL.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You don't think coaches have told their olines to cover for him?, it's on him to manipulate the lane, onlineman have enough to worry about, are there instances where the onlineman should be engaged rather than disengaged, sure, but RT has to play with more awareness.

32. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

Sherman would certainly understand that the tipped passes are Tannehill's fault, because Tannehill had the same problem at Texas A&M, last year. He threw 15 interceptions and of those 15, 8 were caused by tipped passes. Until Tannehill learns to move in the pocket and look off his primary receiver, I see him continuing to have a problem with tipped and intercepted passes.

jdang307, Bpk, maynard and 1 other person like this.
  33. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Sherman may be correct, but ultimately it is up to him and his assistant to make sure this does not become a recurring theme with his young QB. It is what they get paid to do.

34. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

MrClean, I read your posts just to see the pix you put in...sorry, but I couldn't tell you what you say most of the time...

HEHEHE.....

Just kidding about not reading the posts, but I do like the pix...

MrClean likes this.
  35. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    She mention if she ever gets just the tip?

36. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Just the

37. Bpk

Just for a second.

38. Bpk

Whether they have been told doesn't matter. It's whether they do it.

39. Bpk

which also means Sherman failed to help Tannehill improve in that regard.

jw3102 likes this.
  40. toto

toto Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    While Sherman said Tannehill needs to work on the tipped balls he also mentioned that it's tough to look off defensive players in a three step drop with quick passes. And all of the tipped balls came on 3 step drops!
    Additionally Philbin said the Texans DL played it to perfection raising up their hands whenever they realized the 3 step drop back...

MrClean and Bpk like this.