1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shermans play calling

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finfaninilinois, Nov 4, 2012.

1. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I just dont understand his play calling on the final drive - routes over the middle (especially short) were open all day. There was plenty of time left he could have nit picked all the way down the field. They had the 1 in route to gaffney but that was it.

Seemed the rest were out routes and I dont think many of them were completed all game. If they were gonna give those completions then take um. Sometimes i think Sherman outthinks himself.

And why in the hell doesnt Reggie get 5 or 6 catches a game, he's great in space so utilize that.

That last drive i would have thrown to Bess short over the middle all the way down the field and to Reggie in the flats.

thoughts

2. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    With the way Andrew Luck was passing the ball and we were defending the pass, as well as with the lopsided time of possession, the biggest mistake Mike Sherman made IMO was coming out in the second half and not trying to establish the running game. Clearly that should've been the halftime adjustment IMO. It was only too obvious.

Berezo and MikeHoncho like this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You're complaining more about Tannehill than Sherman.

A play-call is not a throw to a specific player, it's a series of routes that the quarterback generally speaking is making a decision on.

felly smarts and MikeHoncho like this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Just take a minute...

[​IMG]''

Now, what is it you were complaining about again?

5. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't understand the personnel decision out the gun so much. Daniel Thomas was back there a lot in the gun with Tannehill today. Why not use reggie back there and use him in the flats instead of thomas? I thought Reggie was underutilized this game.

6. dont fumble

dont fumble Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Germany
    I think we are missing some plays in our playbook (or gameplan) that would help our offense, especially Bush. I don't think we attack the flat the way we should be. Get Bush the ball there with some screen plays, especially against a team with DEs who are storming down the field and are giving our OTs trouble.
    We also ran just one draw play, IIRC. That again is not often enough against an aggressive defense. How about some delayed runs?
    Also, we ran 3 or 4 toss plays and didn't do too bad until we had the holding call on Fasano. After that play, we went back to runs between the tackles which you just don't work very well for us lately.

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    That thing that gets me is why they don't roll Tannehill out more. He is very athletic, and generally throws the ball on the run with accuracy. It would give him more chances to make plays with his feet whenever he can't find/hit an open receiver.

8. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I honestly didn't read the thread,but I saw the title. I do know that the pass D gave up a boatload of yards all day long.
    Sherman wasn't to blame for this game .Maybe Croyle and his play calling?

9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Tannehill can only throw to guys who are open, and one of those plays WAS to Bess, a deep out.

Until the Dolphins get a playmaker at WR and Tannehill progresses, they're going to have trouble in those situations.

10. dont fumble

dont fumble Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Germany
    Just because the pass D sucked doesn't mean the offense didn't have it's flaws. IMO we still have more problems on offense than we do on defense.
    In our last six games, we gave up 23 (OT), 24 (OT), 13, 14, 9, 23 points. We played bad offenses, no question, but that's still pretty good.
    In these six games, we scored 20 (OT), 21 (OT), 17, 17, 30, 20 points.

The defense has won us at least two games, the offense hasn't won us a game yet (though it hasn't lost many because they take care of the football). Today, they had a chance to help out a struggling defense which still only gave up 23 points. They failed. Looking at these numbers, it's seems pretty legitimate to question the offense and therefore Sherman, even after the performance of our defense today.

11. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    That is what happens when you have no #1 WR's, marginal pass receiving TE's and a LT that has turned into a turnstile. we have a lot of personnel holes on offense… but didnt we know that coming in to the season?

12. PhinsFan93

PhinsFan93 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Abandoning the run after halftime was the biggest mistake imo. ONE rush in the 4th quarter smh.
    I noticed a trend also; if Reggie/DT doesn't get 5+ yards on 1st down they pass on the consecutive plays. Not saying that I want a run,run, pass offense like Sparano but it has worked before.

13. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

How do you distinguish between what Sherman called and what Tannehill changed it to?