1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shockey very interested in joining the Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GISH, Feb 24, 2011.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
  2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nice. I'm guessing they'd have to view him as a better version of David Martin circa 2008. I think he'd only help out, especially if we do end up with a young QB.

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ireland said he will look into it because of a TWEET?

That is scary!

4. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    You can't possibly think that's really the case.

I'll guarantee you Ireland was probably prepared in advance for the possibility of Shockey being released, and most likely has already has made contact with his agent if there's actually interest.

5. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Wait, I thought we were a train wreck and no FA would want to come here....

unluckyluciano likes this.
  6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nothing in that post is a revelation to be blunt.

Of course Shockey is extremely interested in coming here , he just got cut. Worse places to play than a team that lacks a receiving TE , needs a second TE , the same city you played in for college and warm weather and no state tax.

Pandarilla and MikeHoncho like this.
  7. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I imagine Shockey and Drew are expressing interest in joining several teams rosters. Shockey is no longer what people remember him to be. People forget all too soon. When things are going good Shockey is fine, when they go south a little, Shockey is a headache. Shockey and Marshal on the same team if the season goes south a little or a lot ? BAD.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I think he meant to say "Now that NOLA wants nothing to do with my presence, I am extremely interested in being on Miami Dolphins payroll"

gunn34 likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Marshall and Shockey...
    [​IMG]

jetssuck and mommabilly like this.
  10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We are a train wreck. FA's will want to come here if no one else offers them any money or a contract.

This

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    For me it's about price tag. If he's expecting about $5-6 million a year, I just don't want to spend that much on the Tight End position knowing full well that those dollars COULD be spent somewhere else. It's one thing if we don't have other options at other positions but I mean if you're going to spend that kind of money on two Tight Ends, at some point you have to say to yourself "OK, I'm totally cool with spending this money on him rather than going for Carl Nicks or Logan Mankins on the OL". You have to boil it down like that, it's too easy to make a mistake when you consider the decision in a vaccuum.

phineas64 and jetssuck like this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Dolphins sources would neither confirm nor deny that Shockey, who is based on South Florida, took a physical for the team this week, which is the rumor throughout the league.

Shockey, who was released by the New Orleans Saints earlier this week as a casualty of his high salary, played at the University of Miami, lives in South Florida during the offseason, and has openly expressed a desire to play for the Dolphins.

Dolphins tight end coach Dan Campbell played with Shockey during their days together with the New York Giants. Coach Tony Sparano’s also Sean Payton are close friends and it’ll highly likely that his coaching buddy has given him the Shockey lowdown.

On Thursday Ireland admitted the Dolphins are looking for a seam threat tight end to complement Anthony Fasano.

padre31 likes this.
  13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah, he was due 4 million in NOLA, and was waived because of it, if anything his deal would start at 3 million per and just go down from there, wouldn't be surprised if an offer was a 2 million something with incentives.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If you can get Jeremy Shockey at $2 or $3 million per year, I think you DO IT...without question. Scratch a position off the Draft board. There absolutely some TE prospects I like in this Draft but grab one undrafted to be our #3 TE. You have to marry the FA and Draft strategies.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As deej posted:

He did take a physical, but the team did not wish to make it known, which sounds very much like the Dolphins.

But, he is coming off of leg injuries and Ireland is very particular about signing guys coming off of injuries, so it all hinges on the physical.

As for Ireland saying "there has been no contact"..this time last yr Ireland was talking up Gibril Wilson.

Interestingly, Adam Kuperstein's interview with Rosenhaus brought out the fact that Shockey lives in the same building as he does and he saw him last evening..in Miami...and the physical was this morning.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think hes pretty much toast physically, {Pat ryan and Tim Kirwan agree} but our stadium needs all the help it can get..I could get on board with that mother grabber comin home...ive always said we should make it a priority to recruit from our university if the variables lined up....which we've never done.

17. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    At the right price you absolutely have to bring Shockey in. Him nor Fasano are #1 TEs. But together they make a very good 2 TEs.

Grab him...a RB. Fix the OL. Get some better depth at WR and let the offense rip...oh ya. Different QB of course but for different thread.

gunn34 likes this.
  18. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think a $2-3 million deal could be done. But IMO, we need to move fast before other teams start asking about him and drive up the price. If that happens, he would likely play where he has a chance to win something.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't, to me he is another one of the Vets who could use the lockout to heal up his body by the time the CBA is finished he will have had almost 10 months for his body to recover from his nagging injuries and heal naturally without the additional stress on it from the "voluntary workout/OTA's/training camp" grind.

This idea that if you keep popping tendons and ligaments that then weight lifting on the injured area will improve it is one of the odder ones I've heard, imho a player needs to rest the area and work on keeping it flexibile and to do so for months, not the usual "be back in 3 weeks" way the NFL does things.

20. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    no...

21. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    It may not be surprising, but it takes the speculation out of the equation, making it official.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Rosenhaus also believes Shockey will sign before the lockout.

23. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    If a rapist can win 2 out of 3 Super Bowls for the Steelers, I think we can handle a few guys with attitude. Its football.

24. dolfan22

Well I guess for me there was little if any speculation from Shockey or Drew's point , just more interested to see if Miami shows any tangible interest back ?

25. dolfan22

Sign somewhere? or with Miami?

Makes complete sense to sign somewhere asap.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I guess it might be time to renew my NFL Replay subscription, and watch some of him in New Orleans. I could see how he could get kind of lost in that offense. Brian Daboll made interesting use of Ben Watson in Cleveland, had a career year.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Rosenhaus mentioned the Dolphins "no public negotiations" policies, that could be just a convenence.

I'd guess, with Ireland in Indy for the Combine, Shockey more than likely came in for a physical and the Staff formed a medical opinion on him and now Shockey is being shopped elsewhere, and next week he picks through the offers.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I watched a couple, maybe 3 NOLA games and Shockey was more or less an afterthought as they were using Jimmy Graham more down the field, when I saw Shockey he was catching underneath stuff.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    When you draft a Jimmy Graham, you train him on, so that doesn't surprise me at all. Shockey was always a RAC type player anyway.

I like guys in Shockey's position. He's a hard worker, always has been. He once was DOMINANT. Now he's been knocked down a few pegs. There's a good chance that there's a fire in that guy's heart to come back and be the man again. If you can't find physical reasons for him not to be able to reclaim that former glory, then that's a good star to hitch behind.

dolfan22 likes this.
  30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well that and there is something to be said for 1 yr rental players with something to prove, the way the NFL works the future is now and we could use the help, and granted he is not 24, but with our needs you just cannot draft guys and then expect them to come in as a 6th rd pick and play like a 8 yr Vet, that is why he makes sense for us.

We would be leasing, not buying.

31. Ricky'sBong

Ricky'sBong Reborn

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I see Shockey being redundant with Fasano on the roster. If you get a TE, for the love of god take a chance on an athletic seam busting one. Enough is enough.

32. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
    Former Saints TE Jeremy Shockey took and passed a physical today with the Miami Dolphins.

dolfan22 likes this.
  33. dolfan22

Would LOVE a seam busting TE , hmm kind of like Jimmy Graham whom we passed on for John Jerry ughh...

The point is Shockey probably still has value , maybe more so that is indicated by his recent production and it costs NOTHING to acquire him. If physically , the Dolphins don't see concerns , an incenntive laden , team friendly contract is very very palatable imo.

Signing him would not preclude drafting a TE with speed , but passing on signing Shockey at a good price for the possiblity that we may draft a TE is not prudent imo.

It doesn't have to be Shockey , but any TE that comes for zero acquisition cost , and can upgrade the position and produce works for me.

Shockey has maybe more incentive to do well in Miami than others perhaps, no?

34. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If he signs with us, how will we ever tell him apart from Dan Carpenter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unluckyluciano likes this.
  35. Ricky'sBong

Ricky'sBong Reborn

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Ya, you make a good point. Hes better than any number 2 on the roster. If its a incentive laden as you said, then very low risk. But given how he plays and how banged up he ususally is, thats the only type of contract Id offer him. Just the chance to see him scream at Chad Henne might be worth it. lol

36. dolfan22

Tatoos?

37. dolfan22

We could use some emotion , couldn't we?

Far less talented players have resurrected their careers , and like I said the synergy may be a real plus .

38. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    You honestly want this guy? You guys should stay away from him. All the top notch free agents want to go up to the Big Apple... :)

39. mcioci

mcioci New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I think you should change that picture of yours. Taylor? Did you watch him last year when he played for you guys? The guy was jogging out there 10 yds behind the plays. He is washed up. I felt sorry for him. He looked terrible out there and got you guys what? 4.5 sacks. lmao.

40. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    That wasn't anywhere near the point of my post.

Shockey is a douche, so yeah, he belongs in the Big Apple too. I would much rather go through the draft.