1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Athletes be Forced to Take Harder Classes

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by finsincebirth, Mar 29, 2011.

1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    This is a piece that I just finished writing for my new blog. Please read it, comment on it and let me know what you guys think as it would be much appreciated.

http://suitsandsports.blogspot.com/2011/03/should-student-athletes-be-forced-to.html

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Like any other student, they should be allowed to take whatever classes they wish.

3. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I think that you're not giving college athletes much credit when it comes to evaluating there own professional future. There are exceptions but for the most part, they know if they have a chance or not. I speak from experience as a baseball coach of a 17u showcase team. Players looking to play college ball always go to these camps and showcases and it's generally the best way to compare your ability with others. It usually only takes a game or two for my kids to see the difference between your division one, division two, and professional prospects.

It doesn't mean that they stop trying to achieve that goal, because they don't. It just opens their eyes to what's ahead for them. The majority of college athletes are playing their respective sport because they love it, and because it helps pay for tuition, they shouldn't be forced to take any courses that they don't want.

I think there's more to it than that. The players who choose those majors are generally players who wouldn't have been accepted into the school without athletics. It would be unfair for those players to place them into something much harder if they simply don't have the mental capacity to do it. You would be setting them up to fail.

Desides has it right. They should be able to choose like everyone else.