1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Clay Get Extension Now?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinFan1968, Jul 18, 2014.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    the thing you fail to understand is that giving Ireland credit for Clay doesn't make him any less of a failure.

lol I'll be damned if I'm about to waste my time arguing about a guy who was compared to Matt Millen in league circles and had those same people literally baffled as to why he kept his job for so long, which plays into why our dumb *** owner has such little respect around the league. and the fact that the most Ireland's best friend could do for him is offer him a temporary consulting gig is the cherry on top. maybe if he hadn't burned bridges with Parcells Bill could help find him a job.

It's really time for you to move on.

jdang307 likes this.
  2. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This is the time to take advantage of a teams ability to negotiate with their own players, not half way through the season, not after the season is over but now is our opportunity, and only opportunity to get Clay at a good price. This is where a GM has the opportunity to separate himself and make a difference, he has to use his foresight to determine if Clay will be good. Thats it. The going rate for a TE should be a nonfactor, if you believe he's going to be good then extend him right now. The wait and see approach is akin to a bad poker player calling to see what the river brings before he goes too crazy. Go ****ing crazy. When you're at a crossroads between being aggressive and passive you should always choose aggression.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Your really making me think here and I'll tell ya why, your thoughts on his game is what I thought of him his first 2 years in the league, but I'll be damned if he didn't shut my *** up last year and make me look stupid..maybe there are some talents he possesses that while isn't in a measurable form, have great impact when on the football field.

I think the eval comes down to what you feel is the prototype in today's game?

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree, this is where you separate yourself from stats and robots choosing players and real good GMs.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I wouldn't of selected Tannehill or. Miller but we'll see there..

Last year however could be what your talking about..

If Dion becomes the player we think he can.

If Dallas Thomas solidifies a position on the starting front.

If Jamar Taylor is as bad of man that I think he is.

If jelani Jenkins continues to ascend his play like he did at the end of the year

If Don jones continues to be effective on special teams, maybe even captain.

There will be credit due if. Those things happen..really have to give it the whoe year, because all those players are trending up imo.

PhinFan1968 likes this.