1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i accept this trade?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by RAS25, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    hey guys, need some help on deciding if i should accept this trade in my main FF league.

here is my team now:

QB: Schaub, Flacco
    RB: Gore, Shonn Green, Jonathan Stewart, Cadillac, Maroney
    WR: Brandon Marshall, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Chambers, Sidney Rice.
    TE: Tony G, Kellen Winslow
    D:Bengals
    K:Carp

i have been offered a trade of:

I Recieve:
    QB - Eli Manning
    WR - Steve Smith(CAR)
    RB - Cedric Benson

I give up:
    QB - Joe Flacco
    TE - Tony Gonzales
    WR - Percy Harvin

I am leaning towards accepting it, but im not %100 sure. I dont think i downgrade at TE that much cause i still have Winslow and i can pick up Fasano as my back up, but Smith worries me especially since CAR hasnt scored a TD all preseason. I just think a starting lineup of:
    Schaub
    Gore
    Green
    Benson
    Marshall
    Jackson
    Smith
    Winslow

will be tough to beat.

Any advice?

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You don't need the RB help from Benson (though Maroney won't do a damn thing this year), going from Flacco to Eli is a downgrade, and with Sidney rice out, Percy Harvin should be a solid option. Gonzalez to Winslow is a serious downgrade in production, too.

That trade offer is an attempt at theft. Decline immediately.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yes I like it...there are so many TE's out there, so if Kellen doesnt do well you could just get another...

you can flip Eli, or Schaub for really good players after the trade, although I would keep Schaub...

and to have the option to run either Benson/Stewart or a WR as a flex position is awesome as well....

4. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    does Harvin get points for KR/PR??

i totally agree with Desides. Dont do it..i think its a downgrade at every position.

5. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    only for a TD

and my biggest reason for wanting to do it is that i cant get winslow and tony G in the lineup at the same time. i would just rather get some better firepower in my starting lineup.

should i try moving winslow or tony G by themselves?

thanks for the responses btw!

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You're overrating Winslow. He's talented, but he's really only had one good fantasy season, and that was in Cleveland. "Firepower" is not a word I would use to describe his fantasy impact.

It's generally considered a waste to have two TEs on a normal (15 slot) roster, but IMO it's fine. The decision should be personal preference on your part. I don't know which week the Falcons have their bye, but if it's around halfway into the season, you can afford to move Winslow: by week 8 you'll have a good idea of whether or not you can make the playoffs, and then Gonzalez's bye week becomes a non-issue.

7. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    what if i got him to take winslow instead of tony g? do u think that would be worth it?

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like the trade. I think Benson is a big upgrade at running back. I think Flacco and Manning are a near wash. I don't place much value on TE's and last year Winslow scored 111 fantasy points compared to Gonzalez' 117 fantasy points according to ESPN, so starting either of those guys is probably a wash as well. I see Smith as an upgrade over Harvin who will probably miss some games. And the worse part is you may not know if Harvin's going to play until kick-off.

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Gotta disagree with you on a couple of points, raf.

He's already stocked at running back. Cadillac's value went up the second Derrick Ward was cut. If he gets Benson he'd have to trade Stewart, which could be a tough sell given Carolina's inability to score preseason TDs.

Careful with that sort of evaluation. Every league's scoring is different, and each site publishes their fantasy points according to their standard scoring. Also, comparing production last year doesn't really matter when looking ahead at production for this year. People have been burned badly thinking that last year's production will carry over from season to season, and likewise, people have missed out on great fantasy players by assuming that a guy who wasn't great in the previous season would continue to do nothing into perpetuity.

Harvin is the default WR1 on the Vikings with Rice out for at least half the season, and his QB is more likely to be better than Steve Smith's. The Vikings are also more likely to pass than the Panthers.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I really don't see any of the guys you'd get as an upgrade.

Steve Smith could be, but you might already have 3 WRs on your roster that'll outproduce him.

I like your current RBs. Benson doesn't seem necessary.

Flacco is also much better than Manning.

So, no.

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Caddy is still an injury prone back behind a poor OL. I don't see him anywhere near as valuable as Benson.

Under most any scoring system TEs outside of the to tier that perform like WRs are roughly equal.

Cam was targeted more than Harvin in the one game they played together so Harvin may be a co-number 1 for half the year and then a c0-number 2 for the second half. Steve Smith is far more likely to play all 16 games and he'll be the unquestioned number 1 all year.

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Caddy isn't as valuable as Cedric Benson, but Cedric Benson has no place on that team. Why trade for a top 15 RB only to keep him on the bench?

Depends on the scoring.

The difference between Harvin and Smith in 2009 was 200 yards and 1 TD.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's about talent acquisition. First of all, I can play three backs on my team so I'm not sure why you assume he'd be on the bench. Second, Shonn Green is an injury concern.

Regardless of the scoring system these two TEs were nearly identical producers. Gonzalez had one more TD and Winslow had 17 more yards.

Another difference is that Harvin looks more likely to miss time this season.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Not every league has flex spots.

Winslow is also a big injury concern.

16. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    thanks for all the replys guys.

i still have the trade on hold.

and btw i can start 3RBs if that make a difference?

what do you guys think about jonathan stewart this year? i have people asking if he is available, but i dont think i can move him unless i get benson.