1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should this be a concern??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by miamiron, Sep 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Joey Porter's play in the last 5 games

10 tackles
    1 sack...in 5 games

Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil
    7 tackles
    4 sacks...in one game

Is Porter starting to show his age?
    At what point does his lack of production become a problem?

Dumervil will not put up these numbers on a game by game basis but this shows that
    a player can put up numbers in ONE game that takes Porter 5 games.

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Is it fair to find the OLB who had the best game in week 2 and compare his play to Porter?

When you have a track record like Porter does, offenses will gameplan around him to shut him down. The same thing will happen to Elvis if he continues to have success like he did this week.

late again likes this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the only concerns in order of importance:
    1) the Offensive Line plays like they're paid to play
    2) that the ST's can hold their own

Miami tonight by 7pts

4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Dumervil had a good game, but in reality his career has been a bit up and down. He had 5 sacks in 08, 12.5 in 07, and 5 in 06. So in yesterday's game Dumervil managed to get 80% of his sack total from last year, 33% of his total for 07 and 50% of his total for 06.

I would also caution anyone who thinks that Porter will be close to that form again. Last year was a big aberration from the rest of his career. Before last year Porter had double digit sack totals twice, and both times he notched 10.5 sacks. Porter had his career year, so to expect anything close to that is a bit much. Porter has never been a great sack artist, he has been good, but never great.

Stitches likes this.
  5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I understand your point, but there's no reason to bring Elvis into the equation.

Now, to address your point: you are wrong. I understand the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, but Porter had 17 sacks last year!!!!! Jeez, sacks aren't easy to come by. I disagree that there has been a lack of production.

6. miamiron

Jan 4, 2008
    I asked if Joey Ps game should be of concern...nothing else

7. miamiron

Jan 4, 2008
    And Ted Ginn was the best returner in college football
    how does that translate to his play today...

so he had 17.5 sacks last season ...what have you done for me lately(previous 5 games)didly squat,zilch,nada

So we should just say you get a free pass Mr Porter since you had-HAD 17 sacks last season but the last 5 games you stunk...Whats more important..I'm sorry but if you don't see his last 5 games as a concern then you are blind!

8. miamiron

Jan 4, 2008
    So will you be satisfied on the track he is going with 3 sacks this season and 30 tackles...is this the type of production you want to pay millions of dollars for???

Obviously we don't know what production he will have but in the last 5 games it has been a dramatic drop off to say the least

9. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Yeah I said I'd be satisfied - just let me know where I did. I just said that people shouldn't expect a repeat of 08 based on his career stats. How that relates to being satisfied with the pace he's on I don't know. The numbers are what they are.

10. miamiron

Jan 4, 2008
    I asked you a QUESTION...Would you be satisfied with that production...I'm sorry you read my post wrong as I never SAID you would be satisfied I left that to your own decision.

11. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    You have too short of a memory if you question Porter's ability on a scant 5 games. And your Ginn analogy is flawed: 3 years versus 5 games is not equivalent.

I'm not giving him a "free pass", whatever that might entail. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his total performance from one year ago. He earned that benefit.

12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't care how many sacks he has, if he is garnering attention thats good enough for me.

13. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I think if Porter doesn't pick up some steam pretty soon, then yeah, it's deff a concern.

14. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    No.

Vengeful Odin and Stringer Bell like this.
  15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sacks and TFL's tend to happen in bunches as the offensive protection scheme adjust to what a player has shown they can do, last season for example JP had 3-4 against the Pats in the Wildcat game.

As protection schemes shift to deal with JT and Merling, JP will produce more sacks and TFL's as unless an offense goes into max protect and three step drops, there are only so many blockers to go around.

16. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I know you asked me a question. But the way in which you phrased it indicates that I have answered in a certain manner already.

If you want to break down those 5 games, yeah I'm fine with it. 4 were from last year when teams doubled him down the stretch, we had no threat opposite him and Porter wore down. It also has the first game of the year included. Taking stats from two years and joining them together is a bit hard considering the distance between the two.

Do I want Porter to be productive every game? Sure. I doubt it happens though. I'll give him some time in this season before I worry about it. Last season the issues were known and addressed with the aquisition of Taylor in many ways. If he hasn't gotten a sack in the first 4 weeks, I'll be concerned, but it wouldn't be a shock if you look at his career.

17. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    In a word, no.

Porter has been very consistent in his career in terms of his pass rush. I don't expect him to net a total of 17.5 again, but he should easily approach double digits again, especially since he's playing opposite of Jason Taylor.

But to quell your concern, I strongly believe we're going to be going OLB in next year's draft. Porter is 32, JT is even older, and we don't really have anyone on the team behind them that has shown they can be a quality NFL starter (Wake is a bit of an aberration, we still don't know what we have there).

18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not 100% on going OLB next draft VO, we could use a quality #1 Wr or Te, especially a Te, and we do have Wake and Moses playing second and third fiddle, they could start for teams in the NFL Wake at DE in a 4-3 but still.

And NT is also on the list unless Soliai really comes on this season.

But worried about Joey Porter?

Nope.