1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we get a Ford Explorer?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dolpns13, Jul 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    My Fiance and I are talking about what type of SUV we should get when we have a kid (Cause we also have a 60 lb pitt boxer mix). We were first leaning toward an explorer because they are a nice size without being too huge. Im not too big on American cars but I havent heard many bad of things with the explorer.. But in thinking more, and having another discussion with someone, IM not sure if its such a good idea to go with a Ford.

Help please?

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i got a 2003 explorer.....it drives well, we havent had problems with it....its just gas is herrendous right now, depending on whether or not you got the money where gas wont drain your bank account....it should be fine, i just know that for me, its tough....im trying to get rid of it if you want it.......lol

dolpns13 likes this.
  3. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I've heard good things about the Mazda CX-7. I've also known lots of people with Explorers and everyone really likes them. Good size without being too big.

4. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    I heard good and bad things about them.. I think that Mazda would be too small... those new Saturn and GMC arcadia's are sweet..

5. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I had an Explorer.

In a 4 year period it took me from Miami to Seattle Washington and I drove it to death at stops along the way. (Traveling job).

I never had a problem with it.
    Ford's vehicles have closed the gap with the Japs on reliablility.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  6. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Ill have to check them out I think.. They are PERFECT size for what we need.

7. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Get the Ford Exploer my anut has had on for 15 years and they have beaten the $&^* out of it and they have never had a problem with it

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Is your fiance pregnant? If you're planning ahead for when you might have a kid, there's really no reason to get the SUV now, or ever for that matter. Get something that will save you money on gas. A big car that will get decent gas mileage. Trust me, there will be more than enough room for your dog. If you need to haul stuff, then I'd recommend a club cab Tacoma. They get decent gas mileage and last forever.

I know this might be unsolicited advice, but it sounds to me as if you're trying to come up with reasons of why you need an SUV, but fact is you probably don't. There are many larger cars than can contain your dog and your child whenever that might be.

Good luck!

9. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    No, this isnt going to happen for like a year, but I wanna start researching now so I dont make a bad decision. The thing is Im from The Cuse so we need a roomy SUV for the travel. I dont wanna get something too small because I dont want Timmy (our dog) in the back seat with a baby and in its face. Probably the smallest we could go is a Morano, although I just saw the new ones and I think they took a step back.. they look smaller to me.

10. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    explorers are ok, but you should look at the Saturn Vue Green Line. similar pricing with better gas mileage :up:

if you have to stick with Ford, i think the Flex is a better vehicle than the explorer....

Kanye West likes this.
  11. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Arent those smaller? I dont think I could buy a GM

12. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    not at all.... the Flex is built on a car chassis while the explorer is on a truck chassis..... that means the Flex rides better, plus IMO it looks a lot better.

the Saturn is actually an Opel (GM Europe), and is worlds better than domestically-originated models. at least check it out, you might be pleasantly surprised.

dolpns13 likes this.
  13. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    That flex looks like a huge Scion. Looks kinda cool though... I didnt know that about Saturn... I love that Saturn Outlook

14. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I have owned 2 Explorers.
    First was a 92, got 175,000 out of it, never even a lick of trouble and still got 5,000 trade-in value.
    Second was a 96, had 125,00 on it, and got almost 12,000 trade-in. Also absolutely nothing went wrong with it.

I had to go to a full-size pickup due to my side-job of hauling LOTS of crap around.

Loved the Explorer, was perfect for everything. Gas mileage wasnt as horrendous as some make it out to be, but wasnt a Toyota Prius either. I did get tired of trying to load a couple hundred bricks at a time in the back..but that's another story all-together.

The 4x4 was very decent, had it in 30" of powder with no problem (Had brand new BFG- AT on it) and spent much time going to ski-slopes. Good size for camping, and rides very comfortably on the highway as well.

All in all a very good vehicle, and very robust for what it is. :up:

Coral Reefer and dolpns13 like this.
  15. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro here is a site to help with your research. Also check consumer reports as well. Good luck.

http://autos.msn.com/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm

dolpns13 likes this.