1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we sign Pennington to an extention after this season?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Nov 19, 2008.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    I think we need to. He is a free agent after next season under the current deal. He is our MVP this season. I think we need to keep him around for another 2 seasons, health permitting.

Hand over the reigns to Henne in 2011. And perhaps we could trade Pennington for something at that point, or if he has regressed, he could become a great backup.

Thoughts?

2. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Yes. He deserves it. Henne is going to be a good QB, but theres no rush to throw him in. Pennington, unlike our other temp. vet QBs weve brought in, is playing well and has us in position to make a run at the playoffs. you cant ask for much more when youre coming off a 1-15 season, id say hes been just short of spectacular. He hardly turns the ball over, thats a big plus. If only he had a better WR corp, imagine the damage he couldve done this year with us. And he didnt really know the playbook until week 3.

late again likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Still early to talk about this as who knows what can happen between now and then but I wouldn't give him an extension unless they feel he can be a capable backup as you say and I don't think he would have much trade value. I know Pennington has said that he is willing to be a backup on this team so that may be not be a problem. Only thing is that he'll be 33/34 years old after next year or around there and he will have had one 16 game season in his career, hopefully two or three after the next two years. Keep him as a backup on the team or make him a QB coach or assistant. He has the intelligence and knows right from wrong when it comes to executing on the football field. For now, let him play out his contract and then when it runs up, make a decision.

brandon27 and FinSane like this.
  4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

If Henne can't prove himself in the next year, we're back in trouble again, even with Penny... We have him for another season...an extension can be worked out next season if needed...right now, we have several guys that need extensions and re-signing first...

5. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Every bit of yes. I figure he could be at the helm this year and maybe next, then if he will take a deal he would be an amazing backup. I'd like to see him finish his career in Miami.

calphin likes this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Pennington deserves to go into next season as the bonafide starter, he deserves to have better players around him {mostly defense} to make a run at this thing.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He may deserve it but I don't think he should get it just because of his this season's performance. Have a Quarterback competition between him and Henne, whomever wins it is the starter.

Jackson likes this.
  8. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    YES! :yes:

Sceeto, baboo72 and Jt0323 like this.
  9. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    you dont think hes earned it already?

why would an accomplished vet in Pennys situation have to compete against a rookie/2nd year guy?

Celtkin likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think that he has had a stellar season so far but I don't believe that he should be a starter next year just because of this year. I would hold an open Quarterback competition and let them battle it out, regardless of the experience factor. If the accomplished veteran can not beat out the second year guy, then he does not deserve to be a starter. That's just how I would do it. Every position is up for grabs if I was a HC.

11. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    yes definitely re-sign him. i do NOT want to go into a season with an untested 2nd year guy, john beck, and likely a journeyman josh mccown quarterback. i dont mean to kiss penny's jock or anything, but do people really think we'd be 6-4 with josh mccown at the helm? i highly doubt it.

and like was said, if pennington doesn't mind competing for the job and is willing to be a backup, he deserves to stay. he helped us get out of the rut of the 1 win season and he should be here when we win the SB :)

12. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Yes !!! I'm 100% on the Penny bandwagon. In my eyes hes the man unless Henne can beat him out next year (By a mile!). We make it into post season this year after all the bad years and the mess we've endured from a 1-15 record. How long has it been since we've had a chance to play for the AFCE title, or even sniff it? Do you not think that when we play the Jets again, in NY, just how badly Penny will want revenge for his treatment there. I hope he plays a perfect game and is the reason the Jets tank. I'm not trying to look ahead but my mouth just waters at the though of Penny in front of his old home crowd blasting the hated Jets into the ground. The look on his face...... Priceless!!!!!!!:up::up::up:

Larryfinfan and padre31 like this.
  13. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Not that his Jet past will ever allow me to be a real fan of his but I'm not stupid enough to ignore that he's a solid QB.

I think we've all witnessed first hand exactly how important the QB position is to a team. Especially this team who without the direction of a good GM decided that bargain basement QB prospects were the way to go for the past 10 years. Never again thankyou.

Sign Pennington to an extension. We'll know we have the QB spot covered and Henny or Beck (if he's still around) can progress at their own speed and take over when they earn it rather than being thrown in to sink or swim.

padre31 and funkdat like this.
  14. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    So are you here just to be a troll or do you plan on contributing?

15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't understand why the jets seem to despise penny?

16. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    hes the bionic QB. and he just so happens to use his powers in miami because being a jet is hell

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    well I could see most hating on him if they stated as such earlier, or he left in a bad way. But seeing as how the majority defended him and he got kicked out. Again I don't understand the hate. Seems like some sort of psychological detachment mechanism :lol:

18. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    bro, its like us and wes welker. personally, i have nothing against the guy. he just so happens to be playing on a team full of cheaters.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  19. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I know not saying we don't do it too. I don't understand it either way.....

And wes welker was at least mildly controversial with his exit...........:shifty:

20. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    im still think that quote was bs. probably made up from someone on the bleacher report

21. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    well given welkers past of kicking puppies I believe the quote...

22. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    lol kicking puppies?

23. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yup apparently he went to a dog pound all coked up........ :pity:

24. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    :pity: what a loser. what a joke. what a c*mmuffin.

thats it, i hate wes welker for now on. little punk

25. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah I won't even tell you about the seau gerbil smuggling incident.....

calphin and FinSane like this.
  26. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    No. Players usually suck after signing extensions. :)

Let him finish a year, maybe halfway through next.

like2god likes this.
  27. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

I would love to see us sign Pennington

How great would it be to see chad win a S/B here in Miami after all those years in N/Y

funkdat and gafinfan like this.
  28. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah! What he said!!! =D

29. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Keep him around in one capacity or another, player or coach, either way he is an asset to this organization.:up:

padre31 likes this.
  30. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    Absolutely we should. Maybe he only has a year or two left after this one, but he would still be extremely valuable teaching the next QB for the team. Not only teaching him how to be a QB, but from the article I just read, how to be a leader.

31. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nope, not at this point in time anyways. Lets see what happens the rest of this year, and into next year, then make that decision. As Alen stated as well, it should be an open QB competition next year. Lets not kid ourselves, Henne was drafted to be the future of this team. He should be getting the chance to prove he can be that next year. He performed very well this year in the pre-season, and theres no doubt he's getting better sitting on the sidelines learning the position as this season goes on. Let next year start with a QB competition, see who wins the job. Even after next year, i still don't think i'd want to sign Pennington to an extension, he'd be 34 then? The time has to come at some point to see what we've got in our draft pick Henne...

like2god and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  32. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    when was the last time we asked ourselves this question about a QB?

33. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Just my opinion but I think this is a discussion better left for after the season is over. Seeing how Pennington plays down this stretch run while in the playoff hunt will answer the question.

34. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Take a look at the starting QB's doing very well, than check out some of the ages. 34 is not to old, and it took how many years for us to have two good QB's on the roster, why wouldn't you want a guy that said he would have no problem helping Henne in the future. Pennington starts for two years than is our backup, its a win-win.

mullingan and FinSane like this.
  35. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pennington is a one year up, next year down sort of player throughout his career, in 2006 the Jets had a turnaround season and Penny played 16 games and had his best year, the next season, he was on the pine midway through the year in favor of Kellen Clemens.

So let's see how he does the rest of the year, whether he stays healthy, and play 2009 by ear, I'd love to keep him around as a sort of Don Strock Jr for Chad Henne.

I don't think he is too old by a long stretch, I do think as long as we have him, Chad Henne will sit and he or "maybe" John Beck is our Future at Qb.

How long has it been since we had a solid starting Qb and two really good Qb prospects behind him?:hi5:

like2god likes this.
  36. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL

I agree 100%

37. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Beck? :cry:

38. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    John Beck dies harder then Bruce Willis baby!:lol:

Ehh...keep in mind Tony Romo was tucked away on the practice squad and was a conversation away from being out on the street, Beck is a project, but he was supposed to sit down for a year to learn the nuances of a NFL Qb anyway.

We know Penny is IR prone, and one year on, one year off, Henne and Beck both are learning from the sidelines and Beck had to redo his throwing motion, so who knows, it is far to early to give up on him.

39. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been screaming from the hilltops for months now that we should extend Penny's contract.

The guy gets it done and needs to be extended!

40. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, even if all we're doing is playing spoiler, I hope we whup up on the jests for Penny........................and us Fin fans...