1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shouldn't we make some headway on the QB situation sooner than later???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finfan, Feb 17, 2012.

1. finfan

finfan New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    I see that there are many, many teams who are supposedly in the running for Matt Flynn and honestly we don't know all the truth about the whole Peyton thing (how many more surgeries or procedures did he have done that no one knows about?). I've read alot of the posts on here and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut man that any of us can decide on, so where do we go with this? Should we still with the Matt we have now and draft a good QB with our regular pick or do we try to move up to get one of the top 2 or 3 QB's? Just wondering if everyone else is going nuts about the whole QB thing? I've been a dolphin fan since 1970 and I just want to see us get back to respectability.

2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

That's the great thing about a forum. Everyone gets to offer their own opinion on what the Dolphins should do about their QB issue. The reality though is that what the Dolphins do in regards to this situation comes down to Ross, Ireland , and Philbin.

I know I would personally love to see the Dolphins do anything they have to do to trade up and select RG3. I think the only two QB's in this draft who will be a success at the NFL level are Luck and RG3. The rest of this class of QB's will be backups in the NFL or mediocre starters, IMO.

Of course, in the end it really doesn't matter what I think or what anyone else on here thinks in regards to the future QB of the Dolphins. It only matters what Ross, Ireland, and Philbin think and we will all find out in the next few month exactly what that is.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    He's right. It's fun to all debate the differing opinions. For example, I think trading up for Luck would be one of the worst moves this franchise has ever made. I think there are at least 2 QBs in this draft that could be long-time starters, and RGIII isn't one of them. Luck is the automatic. I believe one of two, either Tannehill or Weeden will be a really good QB. Cleveland takes RGIII and continues their disaster of an organization.

[EDIT]. Oops, meant to say trading up for RGIII would be the worst mistake this franchise ever made. I'm fine with trading up for Luck, I just don't see it happening in any way, shape or form

smahtaz likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [​IMG]

Cloned Marino will be popping out of that egg and throwing for 385 and 4 Td's by 2014,

5. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    You say potato, I say potato. IMO Luck would be the best thing to happen to the Dolphins since Marino.

PhinPhanatic likes this.
  6. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    You say potato he says potato I say orange and think Marino would be the best thing for the dolphins since marino

Aquafin likes this.
  7. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    you say tomato hesays tomato but I say okra so lets just call it a week and bring back Henne .

MAFishFan and Jcouch1021 like this.
  8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think there are a couple of things that have all of our dander's up about the QB position...

1) We haven't had one since Marino. Penny was the best of the rest, but not enough. Fiedler has the best stats, but combined with Wannstache, they couldn't get things done. The rest have been....well, you all know.
    2) Ross has mandated we acquire a 'franchise' guy.
    3) All the media has swarmed around Ross' proclamation and whipped us all into a frenzy about the QB position.
    4) Ireland and Ross' machinations have indicated they are less than confident that MMoore is the able to break out.

The problem is timing. Timing of who will be available when we draft, when one of the guys that look to be available will actually be ready to work with the team, is this the 'time' that MMoore breaks out...

There is Luck, Manning, RG3, Flynn, Orton, Tannehill and a couple of others at the next level down (Weeden, Osweiller, etc).
    There are other teams that need a QB, like Cleveland, Indy, Wash, Seattle, maybe Jax, maybe Arizona.
    Each of the candidates has some sort of issues as it relates to us getting them...Luck, RG3 probably out of our draft reach. Manning, health. Orton, lack of upside. Flynn, not enough to go on. MMoore, upside is a question still. Tannehill and the other draft choices...unproven and definitely appear a step below the franchise level.

What this adds up to is first, anyone we likely can choose from (taking Luck and RG3 out) has flaws that we'll have to consider before acquiring. Some have more upside than others, some have more ability than others, Manning first has to be healthy, but his flaw is that he only has a couple of years left, even if healthy. It's all a crap shoot. For all we know right now, MMoore may end up being our answer. But as was said above, everyone has differing opinions and it's why we are all reading this 'dribble' and bantering back and forth about who to take or not take... (I called it dribble because my wife just leaned over my shoulder and asked me what all the dribble was about as I was typing).

Do we upgrade via the draft, FA, or combination of those ? Which basket do we put our eggs in ?? Its all just fantasy football for us right now. It's also a lot of fun, too... So, I don't have the right answer, I only have my opinion of what that right answer should be...as is every other poster here...There is risk in every choice out there even the ones that 'look' very good...the decision for Ross/Irish/Philbin is to come up with the best option for this team for now and for the near future...

EDIT: I say tomahto....

9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    It seems bit by bit more info on Manning's recovery is coming out and its not all positive. It seems word has come out that he had a 4th procedure done on his neck during the Lockout. It also seems that he has developed Bone Spurs above where the fusion was done on his neck and is going to need another procedure done on his neck.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jim-irsay-says-talks-with-peyton-manning-have-begun-021712
    I don't think this makes his signing if released out of the question but I just don't believe he should be counted on as an immediate starter with the Dolphins if signed. At 36 years old, how long can we wait for his recovery and how close to 100% can we expect. I am just not sure about what to expect from Flynn, just as I am not sure about Tannehill, Weeden or any of the others that might be available for us to draft.
    I do think this is a year we should double down and pick up two quarterbacks whether it be Flynn and a draft pick or two quarterbacks drafted somewhere in the draft.
    We all know it would take a kings ransom to have any chance to trade for Indianapolis 1st pick in the Luck sweepstakes, and probably less than that for RGIII but not by much.
    Things might change after the combine because it always seems that someone climbs to the top after the combine that wasn't there before.

10. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I might be one of the few who isnt really worried about it THIS year. It all comes down to Flynn, IMO. If Philbin wants him, it will get done, PERIOD. If he does NOT want him, we wait for the draft.
    I will be SHOCKED if we sign Manning...........or draft Weeden. After all is said and done, behind closed doors, I think age will be the deciding factor for those two. I am also on the record as not believing Peyton will play again.
    So, IF........................ it gets this far..................... we are taking Tannehill in the draft. But from the get go, I say we sign Flynn and we are done with the QB drought. If Philbin wants him, he just makes to much sense. He can start RIGHT NOW and be productive in a system he already knows well.

MAFishFan likes this.
  11. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Ross may want a "franchise" qb and a "name" to fill seats. But if he's so gung ho and blind to Manning and Ireland and Philbin say "No" I hope he doesn't force their hand. Look, a "name" may fill seats, but if that "Name" is sitting on the sideline in a neck brace, looking like Steve Grogan's twin, no one is going to come watch. Ross needs to understand that WINNING fills seats. Matt Flynn/Brandon Weeden/Matt Moore/Ryan Tannehill and a 10-11 win season, that fills seats. Don't fool yourself Ross, Manning is a name and will fill seats, but what if his seat is on the bench and this team is 6-10 again? You'll only have yourself to blame for being infatuated with stars and fairy dust. A real owner wants wins, not shiny objects to appease the masses. 11 wins, playoffs and consistancy for years to come keeps the people coming Steven.

12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    We can't do anything until free agency begins around the end of the first week of March. We should see if we can get a private workout to see if Manning's arm/neck has healed. Obviously you never know about his neck and whether it will be close to what it was, other than talking to his doctors, and maybe checking x-rays. But I'd see if he can throw the deep routes, slants, throw some lob passes, make sure he can throw to his left and right....maybe than do some strength tests in the locker room. We were in this same position about five years ago when trying to decide between Brees and Culpepper. The Miami Dolphin's doctor didn't feel Brees would recover from his surgery and we took Culpepper. Horrible move. I just hope we make a better decision this time. If we make the wrong decision it will likely be another five years or more of problems at the QB spot.

13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Just say no to Manning, Philbin knows Flynn and Sherman knows Tannehill, hence I really see this as being where we get our QB, I would like Weeden included there but don't know the draft day variables i.e.: reach? trade down? how far and still be secure in getting him?

I also can't ignore the value in signing Flynn allowing us to draft the pass rusher we desperately need to take this team t the next level. Now, factor in Ross' statements about getting a "Name" & "Franchise" QB, and (hopefully he's not crazy enough to get Manning) the only name that seems to fit The dictate for Ross has to be Flynn.

This is going to be a VERY interesting FA/Draft period this year, moreso than any I can remember in 11 years (11 because that's when I moved here from CT and became a devoted Dolphins fan).

Between Philbin's knowledge of Flynn, his connection being likely an advantage in signing Flynn, and Ross' dictate of a Big Name, I just don't see how anyone else fits the bill beyond Flynn.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree that Flynn and Tannehill are where we likely get our QB, but either one provides the opportunity to add other pieces. If we go with Flynn then we can use our 1st rounder (not used on Tannehill) to fill another need. If we go with Tannehill then we could use FA dollars (not used on Flynn) to fill another need.

15. finfan

finfan New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    If we do go for Flynn and have the money then maybe we can go after Umenyiora, Osi ? He should be available, and he is at least the last time I looked a pretty decent pass rusher, isn't he???

16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    lol!

17. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    "Oh no, this clone has T-rex arms" Dr. Stimpy
    "You eediot!, you cloned Brandon Marshall" Dr. Ren

18. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Again, one of the greatest things about these boards....the ability to debate. While I respect this opinion I couldnt disagree more. I feel this is one of the only teams that may be a QB away. What does a great team need besides a franchise QB? Good line play on both sides....dominant WR..... solid RB.... good defense....? With the possible exception of OL play and pass rushing I cant find a sig hole outside of QB. Therefore we would be a great fit for Manning or Weeden and vise versa.