1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shula & Ditka Talk Football & Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/21/3297676/don-shula-mike-ditka-raise-a-glass.html

Good to see the two of them together.

The Don has really aged (as the pic indicates). And, at 83, as the article noted, he needs a motorized scooter.

It is really hard to believe. For you young guys on here - you have no idea how fast the years go by. I vividly remember Shula as an icon even before he won the SB because he was all business on the sideline - as if it were last week. "The Jaw" was just such a "Man" walking up and down; disciplined. A Man's Man - just like Ditka only significantly more stoic.

(One game that really doesn't get enough credit in Dolphin lore and still arguably - and is imo - the greatest Dolphin game ever was the 1971 Dolphins-Chiefs OT game - longest in history - on Christmas Day. Vividly remember watching every minute. Ed Podolak of KC had a game for the ages but Miami won).

Shula won't be around much longer. But, he's a giant among coaches. I think his teams were arguably the most well-disciplined teams in NFL history. Wasn't the innovator that Landry was. Nor the fundamentalist offensive mind that Lombardi was (no one will match him - it's why the trophy was named for him). But, he made his unique mark.

There will never be another like him. Will be sad the day he departs.

Similar feelings I have about Jack Nicklaus another SoFlo transplant who won't have a lot of years left.

RGF, MrClean and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Funny, That's what I said in the thread I made first about the new rule change. Love the Don.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Saw Shoes on the award show the other night,he was sharp and bragging his *** off on that 72 team, but you could tell he's enjoying his final years..#1 offense..#1 defense.#1 passing game..#1 running game..#1 in lack of turnovers...gang tackling defense, punishing run game with Zonk, Warfield deep..great uniforms, great coach, great stadium..

Remember when Timbo used to salute Shula after a play.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

All I remember was him doing the slice across the throat motion after a sack, that was later outlawed by the league.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yes sir, he used to salute the jaw, can't believe you don't remember?.. Midfield, he'd turn to the coach and bam.

6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

After every play, or just certain kinds of plays? Like I said, I only remember the throat slice motion.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Special plays, like when he use to knife thru the gap and stick the back behind the Los, then the best part, he had this way of discarding the running back like he was a rag doll, get up and would do it.

I thought he was a great player, but I also thought he could of even been better.