1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SI - Banks: White is 2009 draft's most intriguing player

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Agua, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
  2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Great read, thanks!

3. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yeah, I 'm not nearly as upset as some here are.
    In fact I think the emotion I was/am feeling is shock, not disappointment.
    It's not the same feeling as when we drafted Ginn. That was complete anger and bitterness.

4. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Those who are opposed to the Pat White pick will eat crow.

Trowa, New Era, sking29 and 2 others like this.
  5. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I think there will be alot of crow eating around here with all the poster poo-pooing this draft so far.

sking29 and Larry Little like this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't judge a draft when it happens as much as I draft it a few years down the road.

Much like presidency only cooler.

sking29 likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I'm still torn on this pick, on one side he is a freakish athlete who can play QB/WR/PR maybe DB. He'd make the Wildcat dangerous, but on the other side he is a luxury pick who is adament about playing QB, Both Jaws and Mayock love him as a QB. He wont be used as such outside of the Wildcat.

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    His 6ft tall, 200 pounds, runs a 4.55 and has some good athleticism. I keep reading "freakish" athlete and don't exactly understand what people are talking about.... Larry Fitz is a freakish athlete. Calvin Johnson is a freakish athlete. Ray Lewis is a freakish athlete. What exactly makes White freakish?

gunn34 likes this.
  9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He plays quite a bit faster than that. He runs more like a 4.4ish time when you watch him on video. He really takes off once in the open. He'll play Wildcat for now, we'll see how much more he can do after that.

By the way expect a tight end with this next pick.

10. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    It all depends on your idea of "freakish".
    If I were to borrow from your terminology I would say that Fitzgerald and Johnson are "freakish" WRs or that Ray Lewis is/was a freakish LB.
    Difference being Pat White's role is less defined because of his versatility. That he can play several positions is clearly defined, however. The same can't be said about the football players that you mentioned.
    So to me when White is referred to as a "freakish" athlete it's because he can do a lot of things and do them well.
    C'mon let's be fair. There's much more to the guy than his height, weight and 40 time.
    I'm up in the air concerning the pick myself, but I do believe in giving the devil his due, so to speak.

11. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    From what I've read, Pat White has been tremendously humble, and has said he'll do whatever is asked of him, including a role in the Wildcat, as a WR, or as a returner. He's just grateful to be able to play.

Can you show me where he is quoted as being 'adamant about playing QB'? I haven't seen it.

12. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    We all need to chill out just a bit, Parcels knows what he is doing. Many of us had questions last year, but Bill drafted and signed Fa that turned a 1-15 team into an 11.5 team in a year. I have trust in Bill, he didn't draft this guy just so he would standing around doing nothing, as a matter of fact Ginn should be nervous.

13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

i think the ONLY thing people really questioned about last years draft was the 2 RBs....and where are they?

Clark Kent likes this.
  14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah all I've ever read was that he sees himself as a QB, however he will line up wherever he's asked to.

Larry Little likes this.
  15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    OK. So Kordell Stewert is a freakish athlete in the same way Pat White is?

16. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i think he's freakish b/c he only has one speed, (high speed) from the moment he takes off to the moment he scores. some people start off slow and get faster and faster until they reach their peak speed, pat white is always at peak speed and he makes nice cuts. not to mention that he can play several positions and add a legit passing threat to the wildcat. all that = freakish.

djphinfan and cnc66 like this.
  17. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Myself I wouldn't use that same terminology for any of the above mentioned. As I said I only borrowed from your use of the word.
    But yes, that's what I take it to mean. I can only speculate when it comes to what someone else is thinking when they call White a "freakish athlete". However, I think it's fair to say that they must have a thought process behind their words.

18. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    That article got me all jizzed up for the pick now! I didnt know he lead the NCAA with rushing yards as a QB! and the Only player to QB and win 4 Bowl games, also that at the combine he was the best QB out there...

Looks to me like if he can play some real QB we will have a Major wildcat offense and a super fun team to watch!!!!

As for the Stewart comparrisons forget it White outdoes him by a mile, Faster, Better arm and a real 4 year starter as a QB! Not a gimmick.. In the Wildcat I could see him lined up as a reciever drop back and pass the ball deep (because hes a QB)

19. kthurmus23

kthurmus23 Canada's #1 Fin Fan

Jan 5, 2008
    Regina sask Canada
    Nice read, thanks!

20. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    He threw for 4000 yards and ran for 4000 yards in WVU. He is the only starting QB to go to a bowl game and win ALL 4 seasons. What an exciting player! When I watched him play, I was chatting with a friend of mine and told him how well he would fit our Wildcat offense. I told him that we will draft him, and he didn't believe it. I nearly fell out of my bed when I saw his name appear when we made the pick. Let's just say I called my friend right away when I saw that. :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  21. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    i think hes the only QB to WIN 4 bowl games. cuz im pretty sure there have been others. i think philip rivers was an MVP of 4 bowl games, but only won 3 of them.

Dolphin1184 likes this.
  22. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    (On if he thinks he will be utilized primarily as a wide receiver or quarterback, and at which position he worked out most) "I can play multiple positions, so I'll see where I end up. I'm ready for anything."

(On if he wants to play quarterback in the NFL) "I just want the opportunity to play, and now that I have it, I will do what the coaches ask me to do."

Pat White Q&A

Doesn't sound very adamant to me... :up:

late again likes this.
  23. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    pat white was a reach to me, but im not going to hold it against him. pat white is a great person. ive followed WV a lot. hes a good kid definitely.

24. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Reach or not, I love the pick. Do I like the fact we have taken a "QB" 3 years in a row in the 2nd round? NO! However, this one is different. He will be able to be a Randell-El type at WR. He won't be a game changer, but you will have to account for him on the field. Especially with reverses and the quick slants. However, the wrinkle he brings to the Wildcat is where the true value in the pick is held. Now he can come in and run, hand it off, or pass the ball from the Wildcat formation. Last year we threw the ball 2 times, maybe 3, out of the formation. 1 was for a TD, but that was it. The threat to throw with Ronnie never existed. Aggressive D's, like the Ravens, could load up to stop the run because they knew we would not pass the ball from that formation. Now that all changes. Pat White can not only throw the ball...but he can throw the deep ball well. Is he our future at QB? Who knows. Can he be very productive right off the bat getting 10 touches a game in the Wildcat formation? You better believe it and that is what you expect from a 2nd round pick....production!

Georgia Fin and Dolphin1184 like this.
  25. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    He has "freakish" ability in short space. There are certain aspects to a player's game that one cannot measure with a tape or stopwatch. Short area quickness and cutting ability are one of them. You either have it or you don't. And once you see someone with it, you can't deny it. White has that sort of ability. He's no Barry Sanders, but combine an arm with that kind of burst and you've got something quite dangerous. I wasn't crazy about the White pick myself. Would never have done it myself. But, that's why I'm typing and Parcells/Ireland are picking. Although I do have a sneaking suspicion I'll feel differently about that pick in September.

djphinfan, Clark Kent and Dolphin1184 like this.
  26. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I liked this draft.

We got players that were needed. They just need to pan out...

White (as I said before) will either be a great pick or a bust. No he's alright or any of that.

He is a player that you can put in as a WR to start and move him around and see where his talents let him fit best.

They picked him up because he's a gamer and they hope to use him...somewhere... as they see him as someone with exceptional talent to play a position...just don't know what it is yet.

Anyone remember Scott Frost?

Parcells grabbed him as a QB in the 3rd round and turned him into a career DB. That's why I wasn't surprised to see this from him.

I see something similiar here although I am leaning towards WR for White.

I just hope that he is better than what Frost turned out to be.

27. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

His combine and Senior Bowl showed his QB skills. He also has awesome tenacity. I think he has a shot at beating Henne.

28. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    to get drafted where he got drafted, mid 2nd....they must really like him and have a plan in place. I'm already pumped for the season!

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    We got strong, physical, athletic skill position players, for the offense, and the defense.The the addition of pat white is simply sublime. To the ' Wildcat... and Beyooooooooond"..

Vontae Davis, Pat white, Derek Wake, Sean Smith, Patrick Turner, Chris Clemons..Theres alotta talent, strength, and size in that group..great draft imo.