1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SI.com 2012 Draft Re-do:

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ray Lucas, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Member

Apr 19, 2012
  2. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    My concern with that is... what do we do with Kevin Burnett? He was one of the best 4-3 OLBs last year, and yet.. he's being BENCHED? REALLY?

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Kuechly was the guy I wanted..even if I cannot spell his name..:lol:

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

List Invalidation: Jonathan Martin moves UP to the 18th pick

5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Dude clearly didn't look very much at these players actual performance if he thinks Martin should have gone at 18 overall based on his atrocious year last year. He was picked exactly where he should have been, played liked it, and like most second rounds, you hope he develops and plays better his second season.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Precisely.

Martin looked like a steal on paper, but turned out to be a Runtime Error.

smahtaz likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As I'm one of the few JMartin fans, I thought he did fine.

Not #18 overall fine, but about as well as I expected him to play as an under developed physically as he was.

mroz, maynard and Larryfinfan like this.
  8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

404: Ability Not Found

9. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    you expected him to be one of the worst tackles in the entire league?

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    From my pov, he was far from the worst tackles in the league.

He played better than Jake Long imo, he showed good quickness, good ability to make up for getting beat off of the line, did not see to many Rookie mistakes like false starts and holding.

11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    this is the 2nd time I've seen you make this statement and it's completely false. like i said before, if Long played as bad or worse than Jon Martin, not one single dolphins fan on the planet would want him back, and Miami wouldn't even CONSIDER paying him anywhere near his asking price. Long was far from his prior elite self but in no way, shape, or form was he as bad as Martin, who sucked on the right and the left side. Martin gave up almost 5X as many hurries as Jake Long dude.

I'm not ready to give up on the kid because we've seen tackles struggle mightily their first year and then eventually blossom into good players (Duane Brown, Bryan Bulaga, Anthony Davis etc) ... but Martin needs to improve significantly just to become a decent tackle.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    *yawn*

Gotta love the haters. Same bullcrap they spewed during Carey's rookie year and he was solid for us for many years.

FYI Mike Pouncey was a negative rated player to his rookie year and made significant strides in year 2.

RevRick and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  13. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    Yea lets all assume because a few players improved after bad rookie season that Martin will do the same. Also, Pouncey did NOT have a bad first year.

Also spare me with this hater bull****. Martin was bad last year plain and simple.

14. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You failed to mention that Wilson moved past Tannehill on this list. Wilson had a much more productive year than Tannehill. What would have been great is if the Dolphins had selected Kuechly with the eight pick in the draft and Wilson with their second round pick. This would have been more of an upgrade to the overall team.

As far as Martin being a first round pick. He was average at best and I don't ever see him developing into anything more than a very mediocre offensive lineman in the NFL.

15. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'd spare you if you didn't retort like a hater ;p FYI Pouncey was rated negatively by PFF his rookie season. Unlike you I don't speak from my butt. I also gave you 2 examples from this team alone. How about Duane Brown who was rated pretty much as badly as Martin is now whose now one of the best tackles in the game.

The simple fact is that rookie centers and tackles do struggle in their first year. Hence why such a fuss is made when guys come in and hold their own or look like studs early on. There is a reason they say it takes 3 years to properly evaluate a draft class. Guys start off raw and grow. Other guys start off strong and fade. Pouncey was a -1.9 for his rookie year...but lauded for taking on the tough challenge of a rookie center. Now he's a whopping 17.6.

With Martin a lot of it had to do with strength. An offseason in a strength building program will do him wonders. If he comes into camp and is outta shape..then jump on him. Also our OL will look better as Tannehill gets better and as he gets better weapons to work with. The ball will come out more quicker.

Otherwise it's just typical rookie pains.

16. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    I agree with most of your points. I disagree that saying he had a bad seasons makes anyone a hater. I disagree that it is a forgone conclusion that he will get MUCH better.

17. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I'll take Tannehill over Wilson all day. And I'm a big fan of Wilson, was rooting for him to succeed all year. But I think Tannehill will end up being the better QB, even though Wilson was more productive in his first year. Both are gunna be great though. So glad we sacked up and took a QB from this class. It's gunna be a special one...

18. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Fireland!! How come he didn't have the #1 and #2 picks up there? He sucks!!

Larryfinfan likes this.
  19. Finsanity247

Finsanity247 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Way to reactionary to think Jonathan Martin is a bust or not even a very good football player. He swapped positions in the middle of the season and if you think playing left tackle is the same as playing right tackle then you are wrong. Martin played fair in 2012 but I expect him to play much better with a full season on the left side.

cuchulainn likes this.
  20. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He also wrote that Quinton Coples could play 3-4 OLB...

21. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't see how Andrew Luck can be #1 on his merits relative to the performances of RGIII and Wilson.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  22. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    This especially considering Martin came out as a junior. He will definitely mature more physically.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, to hear some post one would think he was Marc Colombo Jr, in fact he looked fairly much like an avg NFL LT.

And no, I do not always agree with PFF based on what I watched for myself.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't want to retain Jake Long, not at all, especially not for 10 million per yr.

Watched Jake just flat whiff far to often the last two years, did not see the same from Martin, very few Ole! missed blocks from him.

Thought he could be overpowered at times and played high a bit, otherwise, once again, he was fine.

25. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Martin led the league in hurries. I'm not sure how you can look at that and claim that he was anything but bad. When he moved to left tackle his hurry rate actually went up.

He can still develop into a good player but I'm not sure how one can argue that he wasn't bad. If Tannehill had led the league in interceptions I think it would be pretty easy to claim that he'd had a bad season.

26. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Lettuce be Reality. The list is B.S. because Russell Wilson isn't #2. I'll accept the argument that Luck still goes #1. But RGIII > Wilson? No. Wilson outplayed him and didn't have his knee held together by elmers glue, resulting in an ACL tear on a play where he didn't even get hit in the knee (the first time he got injured, not the playoffs).

I accept RGIII is a very talented kid, but despite his great play, I'm glad we didn't sell out the future of the franchise for him.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Fairly easily, b/c I've been around long enough to know a Qb is also partially responsible for hurries.

Pure whiffs are what get a Qb killed, hurries are a product..at times..of the Qb not getting the ball out of their hand..

Which could also be a part of:

-the "slow" Wr corps being constantly complained about "not creating separation"
    -For whatever reason, not using Reggie B as a check down valve..they tried to use Fasano
    -Rook Qb slow to read the field quickly

I did however watch Jake Long get Tannehill killed on several occasions just on whiffs.

Nah, bang the pff drum..yep, those brilliant football minds

28. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    To me a hater is someone who just rips on a guy and doesn't really give any reasons. Like I can't stand John Jerry...but at least I give reasons why (fat...lazy outta shape..not a fit for zone blocking etc) instead of just going "that guy sucks!".

29. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Disagree PADS- When facing the blitz, Tannehill reacted quickly.

However, his season started to decline when the pocket collapsed quickly. The Dolphins gave him no time to throw and often times he rushed his throws when he felt that pressure from all angles.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What then began to happen is D's started playing more zone against us and THill was slow to read the field at times and hung onto the ball a bit to long leading to hurries.

I watched at times last yr literally yelling "get the ball out, get the ball out" more often later in the season as teams switched to zones

31. Perfectville_USA

Perfectville_USA Mr Perfect

Dec 27, 2012
    Syracuse NY
    Martin going to end up being a good pro for us, happy with his selection.

32. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Ah Don Banks' infamous re-drafts.

I particularly loved the one where he re-drafted Samkon Gado like in the top 5. LMAO.

33. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    B/c its still a draft. Its not based on who had the most productive rookie year... its still based on future protential. And Kiper feels that Luck has a brighter future than either of those 2. I agree with him personally...

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  34. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    RGIII will be out of the league in 2 more years the way he plays and Shanny treats him.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Which was my biggest fear about RG3 coming out.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You've got to give Don Banks some credit here. It takes a lot of hard work to re-draft a year after the real draft, and have the re-draft actually be even less accurate than the real draft was. That's not easy to do.

VanDolPhan likes this.
  37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I wasn't a fan of the Martin pick when it happened, but I feel more confident after having watched him play this season. I think he lacks some functional strength, but that's correctable. I thought he played better at LT than at RT. I wouldn't agree that he was better than Long, but I do think he may have quicker feet than Long. Martin had fewer whiff plays b/c of it. OTOH Martin was bull rushed back far more often. In the end though, I'm more confident b/c I would say that Martin was better this year than Staley, the starting T for SF was his rookie season. And he's now a guy with two pro bowls under his belt. So while I'm not ready to say Martin is a lock future pro bowl LT, I also don't see it as a stretch despite seeing him blown back too many times this year.

38. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

When his play doesn't justify it, start talking about team wins and losses.

39. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Good comparison with Staley. I remember him being outmatched as a rookie so consistently I thought he'd never be what he is today. It gives me hope.

And as critical as I've been of Jake Long this year, and although I don't want to sign him back at anything > 8 million per year, it's a complete lack of memory to say that Martin was better in any way shape or form this season.

40. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Don't know Dis...depends on how you look at Banks reasoning here. I'd still take Luck today over any of the other QBs in this draft. He MADE the Indy team success this year, period. Wilson would have made Cleveland a much better team this past season. I'm not so sure, on the other hand, whether we'd have been significantly better with Keuchly over Tanny though. That's the fallacy in his reasoning...but some of what he says makes sense....

As for Martin, #18 is pretty high. I don't think the kids a bust or anything, but he didn't have a 'good' year for us, even though I thought he held his own, for a rookie, on the left side. We'll see...I'm guessing that Long won't be here next year anyway, but that's not what I want to see, but someone will give him the money he's looking for somewhere...

I'm getting pretty anxious for March 9th to roll around to see how things begin to shake out...