Signing both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings/The Pat Riley effect

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dcnr226, Feb 3, 2013.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Completely disagree. He can do both.

2. dcnr226

dcnr226 New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    So, the salary cap situation we are currently enjoying and preparing to exploit was not done by design? I see foresight in getting us to this juncture. You do not. Let's agree to disagree.

And as for ad hominem attacks...your stupid.

lol im jk. I see them as elite players, and exactly what we need. I also see their acquisition as allowing us to focus our firepower elsewhere. I see all of this being possible bc of the trades we made last offseason that, at the time, were so heart wrenching. I never would compare anybody on the Dolphins to Lebron. I was talking about the foresight of Riley, and how Ireland has tailored that strategy to allow us to swing for the fences come this free agency..

3. 17isOurSavior

17isOurSavior New Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Sign them both and draft Patterson and have the best receiving core in the NFL.

Jennings/Wallace/Patterson/Bess :knucks:. Super Bowl!

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Well if you don't sign Hartline then maybe it's more realistic..

You don't want to take one and use some dollars elsewhere?, to create balance.

Here's where I somewhat agree with your concept, we do have the resources to completely transform this offense in one offseason, the question is, is that the best way to win a championship?

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Do you think he's worth 10 million?

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008

Wallace is not worth $8M IMO.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I have been avid Hartline detractor. My record on his lack of playmaking ability is pretty clear and easily accessible on a number of threads.

I still don't think we need a number of dramatic moves at WR to be in the playoffs though.

I think everyone needs to remember on most plays the ONLY TWO viable targets were Hartline and Bess and we were close to the playoffs. Adding Jennings (and barring any significant injury) we could be in the playoffs, just by the virtue of having a third receiver, let alone an excellent one like Jennings.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  8. dcnr226

dcnr226 New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I must admit, I will miss Hartline regardless of who we sign. My logic is this: sign Jennings & Wallace...with Bess, our WR corps is set for 4 years.

With the amount of draft picks we have, maybe we could trade up for a guy like Bjorn Werner or Dee Milliner, or we could stand pat and draft a defensive end at 12....moral of the story, we would have options, and wouldn't have to draft a WR who might or might not make it in the league at #12, especially since there are no sure fire options at WR. Wallace, Jennings, Bess...all proven, and all complementary of one another. Different types of receivers, but all fit together perfectly. With the other 20 mil and draft picks, we can truly play around, sign a tight end, trade down to get more picks...whatever. The wide receiver position is taken care of, and we don't have to address it in the draft.

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Probably not but if that's the price for him, Bowe or Wallace can we balk on them and go with Hartline and a couple if rooks? Kinda risky IMO. I think at some point you gotta over pay, just don't make a habit out of it.

ToddPhin likes this.
  10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree. But that assumes we still have all of our FAs plus Jennings. If we lose Hartline, Bush, Long and Fasano were gonna have to add more than just a WR.

11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I've often opined that Pat Riley seems very similar to Jeff Ireland.

unifiedtheory and Boik14 like this.
  12. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree.
    And if I have to over pay, I'd rather over pay Mike Wallace than Brian Hartline.

dcnr226 and GMJohnson like this.
  13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    100%

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If Bowe and Jennings are getting somewhere between 8-9 then yes.

Boik14 likes this.
  15. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Not worth it and it won't happen. You need to pay big signing bonuses to free agents and i dont see us doing that for 2 wrs in one offseason. 1 of them would be nice then we draft another, that would be a great offseason to me. Not a terrible idea but its just not practical in the NFL. In the NBA 2 or 3 players can drag a franchise out of the dregs to the top, in the NFL you need a team to win.

GMJohnson likes this.
  16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Of course it can't. In the NBA, if you sign 2 superstars, you've bolstered 40% of your starting lineup. In the NFL, signing two superstars bolsters about 9% of your starting lineup.

17. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    We need all three

18. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I wouldnt give Hartron 3 Mil

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008

Overpaying is much riskier than not overpaying IMO.

20. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Just to add to this thread and not make a new one, but according to NationalFootballPost.com, several NFL men believe we are only a couple of playmakers away. Having Wallace and Jennings would definitely do that. I don't the front office will but talk about going from weakness to a strength

*A number of smart NFL men believe that if the Dolphins can add just two or three play makers, especially a wide receiver or two, they can make a legitimate run at the AFC East title. Look for the Dolphins to make a move in free agency. One name on their list could be Greg Jennings.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Friday-Buzz-Super-Bowl-Scuttlebutt.html

dcnr226 likes this.
  21. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Then I don't think you have a lot of business making commentary on personnel decisions because that's really ridiculous.

dcnr226 and Anonymous like this.
  22. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Some thoughts… I dont believe that Wallace is worth 10 Mil but is he worth 8 Mil? Yes, I think so considering the 10th highest paid WR in the NFL made just a touch over that in 2012 (8.1 Mil). Now when you consider the tax ramifications of working in Florida vs just about any other state you are talking about a lot of money on a contract of that size. You could sign a guy for 7.5 and he is going to make more than 8 mil else where (for example, 8 mil in Florida would be equal to 7.1 mil in California).

Same thing goes for Jake Long when he starts shopping his services around. He is reported to want 10 Mil which means he would probably settle for 8 Mil (which would be 9 Mil outside of Fl)

Now, back to the WR issue. Hartron is not worth more then 4 mil per season. The guy is a 3rd receiver at best… you can over pay those types guys. Jennings could be had for 6 Mil (Fl money) IMO. I wouldnt touch Bowe with a 10 foot pole. He is Marshall to a certain degree attitude wise AND he was paid 9.5 Mil… doubt he is going to take a pay cut to come to Miami.

IF I was running the Fins I would re-sign Jake Long (8 mil) and Fasano (5 mil)
    I would go after Andy Levitre (7 Mil), Greg Jennings (6 Mil) and Michael Johnson (7 Mil)

that is 33 Mil on those free agents. that would give the Fins about 17 Mil to sign their draft picks (I am adding 4 mil to the Fins cap because I am assuming they are going to cut Marshall.

I think this would create a situation in which the Fins would still need to add a WR, TE, CBx2 and S via the draft. Maybe a backup OT if you are not comfortable with J Martin.

1. Banks
    2a. Ertz/Eifert
    2b. Bailey
    3a. Poyer
    3b. Tony Jefferson
    4. Step Taylor

B.Sebo likes this.
  23. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    thank you… just my opinion but really… sorry I have one… I will just do a better job of keeping my mouth shut about crappy players

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Hartline is at best a very very average number two guy who severely lacks in just about every area. Of course he just had a nice year as just about the only target, I mean the ball has to go somewhere after all. However he is utterly incapable of making a play on the merit of his own physical talents or even creating the occasional run after catch you expect any WR to be capable of.

Honestly in an ideal world Hartline is your 4th receiver....behind your 1/2 and your specialized slot guy. Maybe he takes a few outside snaps a game to rest your other guys. That's all.

I'd rather him not be on the team than pay him more than 3 mil a season....even that is pushing it.

GMJohnson likes this.
  25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's a bad assessment of Hartline, and an even worse assessment of the market price for wide receivers. I realize there is a segment of the population that is basically having a race for the worst post with the most negative assessment of Hartline in it, but jeez.

Anonymous likes this.
  26. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    That's really not even the slightest bit reflective of reality. The league is not full of #3 or #4 wide receivers capable of being as productive of Hartline in a similar situation. He didn't get a massive workload, nor was he at all inefficient in that position. He produced well for a starting wide receiver when asked to perform like one, and your excuses for why that happened are not accurate.

He's not a super star wide receiver, but you're letting your lust for one color your perceptions well beyond what is reasonable.

Anonymous likes this.
  27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    OP regurgitated this from a rival site...

But I do agree with the premise.

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Or some of us don't blow rainbows out of our butts and give Hartline sloppy bj's just because he's a Miami Dolphin. Watch the tape...he's awful.

29. jwong

jwong Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    For Mike Wallace's 32 tds since he came in the league(4 yrs) I would gladly give him $10m a year.

gunn34 and Boik14 like this.
  30. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Hehe, your mad.

He's fantastic. Don't get it twisted. He was a Pro Bowl alternate, after all. Seems he's getting his fair share of sloppy Bjs from the NFL.

31. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's amazing how he managed to be as productive as he did through I guess pure luck and defensive incompetence I guess? This isn't really a particularly good argument to be resorting to stupid **** like that immediately.

32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Let me say this unequivocally...I never blow rainbows out of my butt....nor do I give ANYONE sloppy bjs, particularly #3 WRs masquerading as #2's....

33. dcnr226

dcnr226 New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I did not know that was a problem. If so i apologize...i posted over there too. Won't happen again, i guess. But i just found this message board. It was, tho, my own original material. Stop being a communist lol

34. dcnr226

dcnr226 New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I got much better discourse on this site so it's officially my site of preference, for the record.

gunn34 likes this.
  35. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Here's the problem with this idea.

Mike Wallace is not a good fit for this offense. Mike has the kind of deep speed the team wants in a receiver, but most of the big plays are going to be made on RAC ability, not an ability to beat a man down the field. Mike's problem as a fit in this offense is two fold:

1. He's very limited in terms of routes. The routes in this offense are very precise, and Mike only runs 2-3 routes well at all.
    2. Miami's not going to throw the ball down the field much. Aaron Rodgers only throws the ball 20+ yards about 11% of the time. Its simply not work giving him $50+ million to be a decoy.

unluckyluciano and B.Sebo like this.
  36. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Will say this....film is brutal to hartline, but some of you are underrating him.

37. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That wasnt my argument about Wallace. My argument is that Wallace will live up to a 10M per year contract faster then Jennings will live up to an 8M per year deal. I agree generally about the 2nd and 3rd contracts thing but the Steelers have been wrong before (see Burress, Plaxico) and always take a hard line stance with holdouts. They paid Brown only after offer Wallace the same deal.

Now as far as Wallace being more of a deep threat then a YAC guy, yeah thats probably true but we dont know if he can even be a YAC guy because Pitt has never used him in that way. He's run multiple routes when hes been given the chance. Can he do it with consistently? Dont know. But id rather invest the money on a a young player then a guy 4 years older with injury problems. Jennings is my 3rd choice behind Wallace and Bowe. In 1-2 years we'll be right back looking for a new #1.

GMJohnson likes this.
  38. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Not sure if you noticed, but the Knicks are pretty good this year!

39. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This....exactly.

I dont get this....why does he have to either be AWSOME SAUCE....or just Tomato Sauce? Hes a good receiver who makes a nice piece of a receiving core. I think he works hard...runs good routes and most of all, seems like a good team mate. Him, Bess, one of the FA's....a drafted receiver and Rishard Matthers / Binns thats a heck of a good core. If we got a seam threat TE...or if Egnew pans out....thats all you can really hope to have.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm normally with you, but TDs are an important part of a WRs job. Hartline was not just bad at scoring, he was historically bad for a #1. The rest of his numbers were average or below.

Hartline is an ok possession receiver. He's a cog. Cogs are replaceable.

Here's where he stands with other #1 WRs for last season:
    Yards Per Game: 19th
    Rec: 17th
    Yards: tied 16th
    Yards per catch: 25th
    20+: tied 20th
    Yards per Game: 19th
    YAC: 31st
    1st DNs: tied 20th
    TDs: 32nd