1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by VanDolPhan, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'll get on Origin when I get home from work and see if I can find you or the region. Hopefully it works now.

2. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It let me send you an invite. So I'm hopeful this time :)

Edit: Holy crap. I started off with an aggressive build. Took out all 3 bonds to start an entire map of avenue roads (you'll see when your in) and my starter stuff. Guess I did it too good cause the game sent a red Godzilla after me..went straight for my solar panel plant. Luckily I only had $7k left on the oldest bond and $9k cash. Cashed in the bond...grabbed a 50k bond to replace my solar plant. That was bad!

3. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Ok I got a semi good start. I'm aiming to go gambling + something I haven't decided yet. Probably culture but that'll be a pain to pull off. We shall see.

I suggest keeping one bond open to deal with the disasters when they hit.

I also suggest aiming for Utilities for City Hall as soon as the game will humanly let you. Pollution can get nasty. You'll want that sewage treatment plant fast.

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    We'll see in 2 hours! Anything is better than being at work today. :lol:

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Well, I think I screwed up Ellerbeville thanks to all my medium lanes. :lol: I had one idea for the town and it turned into something else entirely. Can we completely delete and restart towns from scratch?

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    How much do you actually have to rely on, and pay attention to the others playing online in your region?

I've kind of just always enjoyed making my own city, how i feel, and having fun with it... is that still possible, or are you forever intertwined with everyone online, in that region with you? Or can you just kind of go about your own business as you feel?

Im contemplating buying it, but its $60 here, and for something I may not enjoy, or play alot, seems like alot of cash.

shula_guy likes this.
  7. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Don't believe so. Can abandon and take another city is about it.

8. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well screwing up your city can affect others. But there are bonuses. For instance I just assigned 2 cops and 2 fire trucks to patrol Desides 2 territories. They now make me money I can further use to expand the system.

We are also playing on a private region so only those from this forum will be allowed to join. Just PM me your origin name if you do join.

brandon27 likes this.
  9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I built a second city and almost ran it into the ground too. :lol: But I'm starting to build up trading between them so hopefully the money will accumulate on its own, then I can remodel the cities as needed. Both are industrial; one is a mining town, the other is an oil refining town.

Still need to figure out the rail system though. I've linked both towns by rail but no one's traveling, and I don't think they're sending freight via rail…

This is his way of saying my towns are crap. :lol: I'm so awful at this game.

10. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Adding a rail station is for existing rail road tracks. The streets with rails are for streetcars. Do not build T-crossing roads when it comes to streetcars. Build a circle or something. T-'s screw them up. You also have to have a trade depot to move freight and be moving oil etc. Normal freight is shipped via trucks and water trade ports etc.

11. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I was lookin at the specs on it... I dont have a gaming PC any longer... just my laptop, that I just bought in the summer. Processor wise, I exceed the specs for the game, same with RAM... Im lost when it comes to the video card though... On the website they say:

Minimum Setup..
    Graphics Card:
    ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better*
    nVidia 7800 or better*
    Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better*
    *Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

Recommended Setup

Processor:
    Intel Core i5 or faster
    I have a 2.5ghz i5-2450m

RAM:
    4GB RAM
    - I have 8

Graphics Card:
    nVidia GTX 275 or better, or ATI 5850 or Better

Its the graphics card that concerns me... My laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX

Am I going to be ok? Been a while since I paid attention to this stuff, so any help would be appreciated. Be nice to know before spending the cash.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Right, I built the rail stations next to the existing rail tracks that are part of the region. But nothing's moving between them. Are they for tourists/transit only or can industry use them too?

Turn down the resolution and lighting effects and you should be OK. The lighting effects strain even my computer. Expect something like 1280x720 with lighting set to the lowest level and textures at medium or so. The game won't look as good as it does in screenshots, but it'll still be serviceable and playable.

brandon27 likes this.
  13. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It works on my laptop and it's a piece of crap.

If you picked the station under streetcars...it's local transit.

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I plopped the station at the rail line on the edge of the map. I'm doing it right, I swear. Look at my cities if you don't believe me. :lol:

15. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'll have to add one to check. I've only plopped a local one down so far.

Also based on what I have seen with my city. Go light on commercial. Right now to complement what I've got built....I have an insatiable demand for industrial....so if you build a real heavy duty industrial/electric region all my residents will come to you for work lol.

16. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    origin id somekind0fpalsy (zero in of). send me an invite to the region fellas.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Sorry I couldn't invite you, Mc. Looks like whoever created the private region (boy that sounds dirty) is the only one who can invite people (that sounds even dirtier).

In other news, oil has saved my towns. And I have a whopping 3 months' worth of supply. This is going south in a hurry unless I can convert over to technology…

18. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'll add him when I get home from work.

If you have a trade depot you can sell that oil on the market and make some nice cash.

You can upgrade industrial down the road by building a community college/university. You can also make metal/plastic/alloys with a recycling plant. I eventually will build my 2nd plot to be heavy industry so I can free up some space for more residential on my main.

Also I don't have a rail line on my main so I couldn't build a rail depot.

19. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I picked this up last night. Runs fine on my computer, even with some of the settings on medium or high, which is nice.

I found that I can play on any of the regions in the game, and claim each city in the region and basically play the whole region on my own, which is nice... but a bit of a pain if I want to share resouces between then, because then I'd have to build a bit at a time in each city. I seem to be doing ok, hauling in good cash, paid off two bonds I took out early on. Not really sure whats going on though lol I just keep building zones, cop shops, firehalls, parks, clinics, schools and people just keep coming. So Im not really sure what this city specializes in if anything at all lol I dont think I really have a clue whats really happening here, but it seems to be growing good. :lol:

brandon1927 is the origin name, hopefully I dont mess things up in the region too bad :lol:

20. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well I say we screw around with stuff for this week. Then next week we will start a fresh region with the knowledge we gained.

FYI you guys need to at least start and exit the tutorial on North America 4 East before I can invite you. EA's ******ed.

21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yep, both my towns have trade depots. That's where my money is coming from. Green Irish Rain will probably move over to a technology center while Ellerbeville... don't know yet. :lol:

Sounds good to me. I have a bad habit of overexpanding my towns in this game. I should start off slow and grow from there. Dirt roads and borrowed power.

22. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well there is stuff that crops up later. ie: My hugely expensive water pumping system...wiped out the water around it. So I'm guessing you need to put a water pumping station on the edge of water and not anywhere else.

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, there are only limited ground resources. This is why mining and drilling is short term. I have about three months' supply in one oil field, for example. Though I'm only using half of it; I sort of plopped my city hall over the other half. :lol:

24. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    I've heard two different things about water. One, I heard it was replenished by rain, but I've never seen it rain. And the other, I heard if you co locate your sewage and water treatment/pumping stations, its an endless cycle.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I've seen it rain... once. It's extremely rare, and it might depend on the kind of region you're playing in.

As for collocating the sewage treatment and water pumping... I don't think sewage treatment deposits groundwater. But I might be wrong.

26. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It does but I hear it still ends. I'm researching the forums to see what's going on. Basically the way it's sounding...you can't have a long term city because you exhaust your resources....use the global market...and the stuff that doesn't..dries up for good.

FYI since my first city is screwed now water wise I have a 2nd private region for the moment. If you guys want...I can invite you all to that to. It's a 5 city limit though...so 1 per person. If you got the time..otherwise stick with the first playground for now. This is just my 2nd experimental trying to find something viable.

27. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So what, we're doomed to continually start new regions? Geez.

I'll stick with my mining towns and play around until the new serious region is made.

28. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'm testing 305's bit with this...I've heard it still depletes...but I want to see it with my own eyes.

305 likes this.
  29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I have skyscrapers! And a budget deficit! I really don't understand this game's financing sometimes.

30. Think Keynesian!

Desides likes this.
  31. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well tried to login to see if you guys joined North America 4 east yet...but it seems like the servers down or something.

32. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Any luck?

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The server was up and down when I was playing. They're doing rolling outages to upgrade each of the server groups.

34. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im going to hop on later today when I get home from work and do the damn tutorial on that server...

It's weird, when I first started up the game, I was on oceanic 2, did the damn turorial, started building 2 cities in a region. Yesterday it wouldnt let me log into that server, so I figured Id just pick another.. of course in doing that, I no longer had access to the region/city I was building, its specific to that server? Seems like a really strange way of doing things, either that, or im stupid lol

Either way, Ill get on NA4E east and get that damn tutorial done. brandon1927 is my origin id

Edit: I had free time this morning, and finished it... Inviteme, add me, whatever if you want lol

35. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I already sent you an invite to my friends list...check your list.

McLuvin I still don't see you in the invite list for the region. You need to actually log on North America 4 East and clear the tutorial stage (you can just exit out of tutorial...does the same thing)...before I can invite. I won't need you online at that point to invite.

36. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Correct, your region and cities are specific to each server. They don't share information between each other.

brandon27 likes this.
  37. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Are you kidding me!??! I could have just quit the tutorial and it woulda been good? I sat here through that crap again this morning!! :angry:

I just found out where to find the invite, accepted it, now I'll see if I can figure out what to do from there :lol:

38. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Sorry..fell asleep on the couch. One of the side affects of playing on a 55" tv while on a reclining couch ;p Your invited now.

Things might get insane though...I'm about to tear most of that city apart and start fresh ;p

39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    When is the new region starting?

40. Butters

Butters New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Do you guys still have an open spot?