1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by VanDolPhan, Mar 7, 2013.

1. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada

I'd give it a few days since were just adding more guys here. Let them fool around before we try a real land with each of us specializing in something different to balance. I'm thinking the education route myself which will be a pain in the *** (expensive as ****).

2. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Send Wiredgunslinger an invite on Origin.....then hop on North America East 4 and make sure you clear out the tutorial (enter and exit). Can't invite you until then.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You should see my budget... going oil means crime means police budget is through the roof. :lol:

I'm almost done with this region. I'm a little pissed at the moment, because I spent a good 3 hours building up Green Irish Rain only to have a system crash. I don't think my city was saved... so I'll just wait it out until the new region kicks in.

4. Butters

Butters New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Unfortunately it says that server is full -___-

5. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Keep trying. It'll ease up. If you have to..pick an odd time frame like later tonight out of prime time and then try.

6. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
  7. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Ok have started the new region. Sent out invites. Trying some road techniques to speed up traffic such as more curved roads..and I'll be trying the park and ride trick etc.

Desides likes this.
  8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'll probably hop on and claim a city, but I'm nostalgiaing (that is now a word) big time with Secret of Evermore tonight.

9. Butters

Butters New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Looks like I'm not going to be able to get in. It's still saying full at 3am

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    3 AM on a Saturday is like prime time for addictive games like these. Try early- to mid-morning (early being defined as 7 AM, not 2 AM).

Originally it took me a few hours to join NA East 4, but once you're in you're locked in.

11. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Free game option is out. I just upgraded to the deluxe edition for free ;p
    You can choose from NFS: Most Wanted, Dead Space 3 and a few others.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I picked Dead Space 3. I'll probably never play it, but using a free game selection on a $20 upgrade that just adds some specific architecture seemed a little bit of a waste of value to me.

13. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    No...Sim City 4 Deluxe ;p Haven't had a handy copy of that around in forever. So now I do.

14. If someone elses city can pollute yours, is there any recourse you can take to combat it or are you just stuck taking it for free?

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Ah. In that case, I still don't like that choice. :lol: I think SC4 was a step back from SC3k. Maybe that's just me being old, but 2k and 3k were the best for me.

Depends on how they're polluting you. If it's air pollution, I don't think there's much that can be done about that except helping the guy improve his industrial level (education) or providing him with power so that his power plant doesn't heavily pollute. Or taking his garbage so that his garbage incinerator doesn't pollute.

16. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Pretty much. Don't build much industrial...plop bus/ferry/train depots and flood their city with your guys for jobs. Then you don't have to build dick all for industrial ;p.

In the meantime plant lots of trees and wait for em to run out of ore etc and upgrade to tech/nuclear power.

Edit: GAH! Tell me that didn't just delete version 1.1? All I was doing was abandoning a city..not a bloody region. Bloody hell EA.

Bleh I can't see it now. Starting a new 1.1 up and sending out invites just in case. Note to self....don't abandon your lone city in a region without starting your 2nd one first.....kills the region.

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    OK, I just logged onto NAE4 for the first time in a while here (been busy building up my city/region on oceanic2, which has come to a grinding hault), I see invites for thephins woods, thephins 1.1, and 2.0. Which one is the one we're working with, and is it still just to mess around and get a feel for everything?

18. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    2.0. I finally got a problem free city going for once. Close to dropping a university. Key was slowing growth with 2 20% quick dip taxes. Halved my usual growth which allowed me to get garbage and clinic up before sickness. Also zombies slowed growth.

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You didn't delete 1.1. You fell victim to EA's crappy UI design.

When you select and then abandon your only city in a region, you're dumped out to the main menu, because the game assumes that, even if you created the region, abandoning your city or cities means you don't want to play in that region anymore. The way to get back in to open the game log at the bottom left of the title screen and select ThePhins 1.1.

I'm a little bummed that we're starting over again, since I had a nice oil boom town going with a field that took up the entire center of town... :lol:

20. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Ah I started it cause I thought I had deleted it. Now I have a nice little town going finally. Feel free to do whatever to 1.1 though.

21. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Ok University is plopped. So don't worry about education much. My university will start opening advanced options in the game as I open new wings. I wonder just how much schooling would be the minimum max you guys would need to put down now?

22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    As long our cities are connected by mass transit then we don't have to put anything down; our sims will commute to your university.

And you can actually shut down your grade school and high school, IIRC.

23. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yah I read that to. Turns out that's not true. Your lower Sims will get dumb again and your education level will go down. Meaning more garbage/crime etc. Plus it provides jobs for your Sims. I actually had a teacher shortage at one point.

I have the train station down and streetcars that reach 75% of my city so far. First thing I should open will be the advanced wind turbines. Just going to take $110k approx.

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Welp, so much for that. :lol:

Also, you guys took the good land spots in the region.

25. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Join a land spot that's connected to me by road and I can at least send garbage coverage etc.

26. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im struggling with this damn city. The other three I've built exploded in no time, and I kept makin a huge profit. Im working with coal in this one (which I've never really done before), just can't seem to get things to boom yet. That being said, I havent spent much time with it the last day or so either, was busy getting all my tax info together, I should have some good time to work with it today.

And awesome, two minutes after I post this... I get smoked with a tornado :lol:

27. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Have you built trade depots with coal storage?

Isn't my city already connected on the same road and rail networks as yours?

28. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I have one trade depot, with a coal storage lot, yup. I just plopped down a second coal mine too. It's exporting coal, and paying me, which is nice, I have no idea where its going though :lol: They want me to build the Metals HQ now, I'm not sure what use it will be to me. The whole mining thing is relatively new to me, but with the second mine opened up now, and the first one expanded to its max, I imagine I'm going to need some more storage lots soon.

Where I've been having the issue is getting my residential and commercial to expand, and grow, which in my other three cities by now I've had skyscrapers and everything. Must be the mining operations I'd guess. I messed around with it a bit this morning, and it started to grow a bit in some areas, but once I put down that second coal mine the nearby residential got awfully upset with me. :lol: Wait till I bulldoze their houses in a while because I just realized I actually accidentally built them overtop of part of my coal deposit. Oops!

I thought all cities in the region were automatically connected to each other by road, and rail?

29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not all. The region is subdivided into smaller groups that may or may not be connected by the same transportation system. Not everything has rail access, either.

30. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    So far I'm separated from you guys. I did put up a rail and ferry so I can get tourists and students for the university at least. I've got to keep working towards a recycling plant so I can get into electronics and the global market.

Did get my first nuclear plant up though.

31. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Oh no, I'm in big trouble now. I built up the city bigtime today, making cash hand over fist now with metal and alloy exports, in addition to coal and ore. However... my nuclear power plant just had a meltdown. Apparently all my workers are morons. Which is strange to me... since I have grade schools, high schools, a college, and a university???

Im not sure whats about to happen after this meltdown... but I'm sure it cant be good. :lol:

32. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Interesting. I heard it was supposed to be fine as long as your university was supplying enough grads. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

33. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, I thought it was strange too. Luckily for me, the game crashed, it said my city wasn't progressing like it should or something, it made me roll it back. My power plant is alive again, but still says the workers are uneducated, and that its unsafe. So, once it rolled back, first thing i did was upgrade my university and college, hopefully that helps in a short period of time, but Im doubting it. I think I'm doomed. :lol:

34. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Hey, at least your disaster was somewhat foreseeable. I got hit with zombies once...

35. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, it kept warning me she was gonna blow, but I didnt know what else to do. Luckily for me, the little game crash saved me. It rolled back my city to before she blew, and I had alot of cash on hand so I built some coal power plants since I can built the advanced coal addition to the powerplant to generate even more power than usual, and it controls some pollution I think too, so I've just shut down the nuke plant now, I managed to get it all done before she blew the second time around. Feels a bit cheap, but I'll take it! Up over 100,000 population now, cash on hand around a million, shipping out by rail and truck, things area really taking off. Time to find something else to spend my cash on. I've got my university doing a research project on an advanced nuclear reactor of some sort, hoping that gives me some non-moron workers to run my powerplant so I can get it back online, with educated workers, and shut down the coal plants.

The zombies thing pisses me off too. I got that once in this city, but it only took out about 10 buildings. In one of my other cities, they wiped out probably a quarter of my city. I was there forever bulldozing the vacant buildings afterwards.

My biggest challenge now is water. It's killing me, I've had to destroy my water pumping plant twice already, and move it to a new location without water... Im running out of options now.

36. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Attach a sewage processing plant to it with a bunch of it's addon's. Your water pumping station will use it as a source to pump from.

37. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Starting a new public city. Going to invite randoms off the forum. See what it's like to run an actual mass 16 person game.

38. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Got us in for a 7 city public region. 1 city per....take it slow cause there is no abandoning....serious game here.

Desides likes this.
  39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Decided to try out gambling... boy, just dropping down one gambling house increases crime quite a bit. One police station with three cars isn't enough. And I don't have the money to move over to tourism immediately... so I'll just have to deal.

But I set up a grade school, so hopefully I can teach crime out.

40. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yup Gambling is the #1 police need.