1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since everyone else is doing it...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Clipse, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Figured I'd make a mock draft myself. Usually don't do these, especially before FA and the combine but hey, I'm bored.

Round 1: Alabama ILB Rolando McClain. Dez Bryant will be off the board. McClain fills a big need at ILB. I like Graham too should McClain not be here. McClain is tough, strong, intelligent, a great leader. Has good speed, especially for such a big guy. Is great at shedding blocking, which is huge for a 3-4 backer. A pretty good blitzer. Pretty good in zone coverage, average in man defense. The guy is just everything we need on our team, and everything you want from a Mike.

Round 2: Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas. This is a hard selection. I really like Benn and Spikes. Really like Hughes but can't see him falling this far at all. Thomas is everything we need at the WR position. Extremely physical. Has no problem tossing people around for extra yards. Has good speed. Is a deep threat. Will go up and fight for the ball, and more often than not come away with it. Dangerous red zone threat with the ability to go up for the ball in the endzone, or catch a short slant and break a tackle to the endzone. Is a punishing blocker. Best blocking WR in the draft hands down. Would fit perfectly on a physical, run oriented team in need a playmaker at WR. Was the only player on his team with double digit receptions. Was double teamed often to no avail. Will be a starter on day 1 no doubt, and has the size, speed, and of course physicality to be a special WR. Basically he's Anquan Boldin v2.

Round 3: Miami TE Jimmy Graham. Yet another target for Henne. Graham is still raw, as he only played TE for one year at Miami. However, it is obvious sky is the limit for him. At a whopping 6'8", Graham is excepetionally athletic. Mostly due to the fact he played basketball at the U. Average at best blocker, but can be fixed. If anyone thinks he's more of a 4th round prospect, they'd be wrong. Especially after the combine, we'd be for him to still be available for us in the 3rd.

Round 4: Iowa ILB A.J. Edds. Best coverage LB in the draft. Solid tackler, solid against the run. Doesn't make many mistakes. Would probably start off as a nickel backer, but could develop into a really good Will with his coverage ability.

Don't feel like doing the rest as we we have three 6th rounders and two 7th rounders. Of course this is before FA so it really means nothing because FA could certainly change the outlook of the draft should we get a Karlos Dansby, Antrelle Rolle, Larry Foote, etc. Thoughts?

2. ET7

ET7 New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    awesome draft but kinda iffy with Thomas.
    I rather go for a proven vet than wait on a rookie WR to come to fruitation 3 yrs later. If we get a #1 ala Marshall or someting than I am down for that but til' then I'll pass.

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I like it. I could be wrong but I think you could slide D Thomas to the 3rd and TE Graham to the 4th. It would be risky since they could be snatched up but those two are really raw and I think they'll last

4. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I don't see Thomas as the type that would take 3 years to amount to anything. With his style of play, especially his blocking skills, I see him starting day one. Proven WR's just don't come around. You almost have to find your WR in the draft.

5. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I can't see either lasting that long. We'll have to see though.