1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Six Dolphins named to Joe Philbin's new 'leadership council.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fins1, Sep 3, 2013.

1. fins1

fins1 Sect 145 Row 20

Nov 25, 2007
    Port Orange, Fl
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...notes-0903-20130902,0,1059951.story?track=rss

"This year, the players voted quarterback Ryan Tannehill, defensive linemen Cameron Wake and Paul Soliai, offensive linemen Mike Pouncey and Richie Incognito, and inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe as the team's six representatives on the leadership council.
    All six players are newly appointed leadership council members because everyone who was on last year's council — Karlos Dansby, Jake Long, Reggie Bush and Davone Bess — was either traded, released or not re-signed this past offseason."

RoninFin4, DOLPHAN1, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Worth mentioning it took till year 3 for Cam Newton to be "selected" captain by his peers. Loving Tannehills leadership!

Bpk and PapaC like this.
  3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If all 6 players on this years council are gone next year, I think we can safely assume that Ireleand will be gone too..

INSANE that the entire 2012 council is gone. Doesn't make sense.

Bpk and xphinfanx like this.
  4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    if last season is an indicator....all of them are gone next year...:shifty:

The Rev likes this.
  5. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    You have been voted off the council

6. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Cam's attitude sucks.

It is nice to see Tannehill getting the respect of the locker room.

djphinfan, xphinfanx and SICK like this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Cam = Kobe of the NFL

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

xphinfanx and PhinFan1968 like this.
  8. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    My thoughts as well.

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Cam came into this league immature. For everything that's been said, he seems like he gets it these days. With his physical talents, I'd say it's worth the wait.

dolfan22 likes this.
  10. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Kobe is a proven champion with 5 rings.. I'd love that analogy to Tannehill!

Phinfanjt likes this.
  11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Sure it does. Dansby was overrated, Long wanted to leave, Bess is a productive, but limited player. Really the only one I wanted retained is Reggie Bush.

12. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    It is bizarre. You are talking about a sample size of 4 proven leaders on the team that are gone, all of whom were selected to the leadership council by Philbin and their peers.

One can look at it two ways- Philbin sent a message and year 2 his footprint on the franchise is clearly secured. Or- Our leadership last year was underwhelming, filled with players that were overrated or didn't belong on the team.

I personally love it. But when people mention that it takes time for a team to gel we should listen, especially after the amount of turnover we have witnessed. It may be wise for us to collectively temper our enthusiasm and expectations this season.

13. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Any leadership council with Cogs in it is going to be a hoot. I love Cogs. Can't think of too many people he couldn't knock on their a** if they dog it.

14. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I like it too.

My Hard Knocks memory may be mistaken, but it seemed like the guys last year were more self-appointed and rose out of defense for that (funny) fool Chad Johnson. Philbin's puzzled look and hesitancy at the time makes a lot more sense now. Bush is the only leader type that is missed.

I don't know much about Paul or Cam's personality, but a leader group with Ryan, Cogs, Pouncey and Ellerbe (whom I freaking love) is solid core of guys. These are the guys people are going to be taking tone and direction from anyway, regardless of label

cuchulainn, smahtaz and djphinfan like this.
  15. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I don't know why they went with Cogs instead of Mr. Spacely.

Disnardo and Finfangirl like this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Philbin didn't select the last group and I don't think he selected this group.

I think the number 1 problem with the last council, is that it was filled with a guy who didn't want to be here, a guy who showed up out of shape and never stopped talking and a guy who is suspected of not playing with a minor injury.....and on top of all that, the first group was formed with the sole purpose of arguing the CJ cut.

This year, players met on their own before the various camps, no one came in out of shape, its split evenly between the offense and defense, has young and seasoned players. There's been no reports of discontent other than a couple of contract things, which this wouldn't affect anyway. There's a unified message coming form the players and staff.

All in all, so far, it seems like a win-win.

cuchulainn and maynard like this.
  17. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    You have dated yourself to Rosie the Robot.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Forget for a second, that you can't spell The Jetsons without The Jets, but its just like you put no effort into this one at all. Don't you care anymore? Its like you're a shell of the (less manly) Snooki that I once knew.

maynard likes this.
  19. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Give me the ultra talented guy over the great "leader" whatever that means.

If Tom Brady never won would he be considered a great leader?

I think the talk of "leadership" is one of those nonsense things that gets tossed around in sports when we just don't know the answer to why something did or didn't happen.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    With that stance, you'd have to discount the very concept of leadership across the whole spectrum of humanity or your point makes even less sense.

21. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Dang Tannehill and Pouncey are great young players... Who are we getting next year to replace them? #LeadershipCouncilCurse (And yes, I just busted out a hashtag)

MikeHoncho likes this.
  22. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I always knew George Washington was overrated

unluckyluciano and Fin D like this.
  23. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Obviously you have never played. Leadership is a real entity. Ray Lewis was a leader that brought those defenses up - He refused to accept anything less than 100% from every guy on that field and led with 120% every snap. That kind of emotion and leadership rubs off the right way on every guy around him.

I think the council is a great idea by Philbin and I'm happy to see RT getting respect on this team. If you don't believe in your QB - it is easy to say "@#!# this".

And your crazy if you think Brady isn't a great leader! His will to win is unquestionable and his desire for 100% has shown up on the field many many times. He has taken a bite out of more than one guy.

24. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Anybody ever stop and ask the quesion WHY Jake Long preferred to be in St. Louis over Miami. Jake's "choice" does not absolve Ireland of responsibility for losing Jake. The players voted on the leaders and Ireland let all of them walk. Pretty tone-deaf to me.

Is Martin an upgrade over Long? NO
    Is Miller an upgrade over Bush? NO
    Is Brandon Gibson an upgrade over Bess? NO
    Is Ellerbe an upgrade over Dansby? MAYBE, but its not a definite yes.

25. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Not at all. The concept just makes very little sense in sports where pure physical talent is the most important trait to playing well and ultimately winning.

Cam Newton has been the Panthers best player the last 2 years and he was the main reason they won the games they won. If the Panthers make it to the playoffs this year it will have absolutely nothing to do with Cam Newton being a better "leader". It will be because the rest of the team is finally talented enough to win.

A QB or a coach is not Winston churchill standing tall in the face of the blitz or FDR instructing us that the only thing to fear is fear itself. Leadership is important in existential areas, like gaining support for government policies or in business where you are leading people of disparite interests and talents, not all of whom are necessary for success.

Sports is completely different. The best players, who are the most physically gifted, are usually the best players and their teams win whether they "lead" or not. a "rah rah" speech by a coach or a player has no bearing on winning. If the players are physically talented enough, and are smart enough to follow the gameplan, you will win fairly often (assuming your gameplan is good, which also has nothing to do with a coach's leadership in the sense we're contemplating it)

26. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Actually, Joe Flacco and others have said that most of the time, they had absolutely no idea what Ray Lewis was talking about during his rants and that he was a great guy with passion that was infectious, but nobody really cared about what he was saying.

And yes, you think Brady is a great leader with a burning "will to win" because he has done a lot of winning. Brady could be the exact same guy, saying the exact same things, but if he had a record like Chad Henne, you wouldn't be extolling his virtues as a leader

27. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I can't stand Ray Lewis, but he was a great leader who gave stirring speeches...despite those speeches making very little sense.

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Huh?

Long left because of more money and system friendlier to his style of play.
    I fixed the rest of this for you.

Is Martin an upgrade over Long in the beginning? No
    Is Martin an upgrade over Long in this system last year? Maybe
    Is Miller an upgrade over Bush? Maybe
    Is Brandon Gibson an upgrade over Bess? Yes
    Is Ellerbe an upgrade over Dansby? Maybe

cuchulainn, MrClean and Superself like this.
  29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    If they are both talented, a leader certainly holds more weight then the guy his teammates don't respect. It does matter.

30. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Right, and that's my point. Ray Lewis giving a stirring speech didn't make Joe flacco throw the ball better or Ed Reed intercept a pass that he wouldn't otherwise have intercepted.

It's not like political leadership where you are trying to move the opinion of millions of people in one direction or another, and even that doesn't make a huge difference in the ultimate policy enacted, particularly since there won't be anything the public can actually do about it until the next election

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  31. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I totally disagree with this assertion: Jake Long left Miami because he wanted to and through no fault of Jeff Ireland and Joe Philbin.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    this was a good post except for the insult man..

We are not enemies, we all love and want this team to win so we can lather in the fun that comes with winning, when we do, maybe you'll want to share that feeling with others.

33. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    What comes first, the winning or the leadership?

If Tannehill doesn't play well this year, and lead the team to wins, how long do you suppose his "leadership" will be respected?

34. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Brady could never have a record like Chad Henne - because his will to win is to strong. Brady is pure leader and you can see it in everything he does. Whether it is bite into an offensive lineman for a procedure call or run to congrat a guy for a great catch.

Thats just on the field. I can almost assuredly tell you he is a beast behind the scenes as well. He works works works and demands work work work.

This is a crazy arguement - Leadership is real on the football field. If you have ever played, you would never question it.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Anytime there's a concerted effort of a group of people, leaders are not only important, they naturally emerge. Talent is not the only important thing on the field, that is a lie that has been disproven time and again...whether you're talking about successful players with little talent like Zach Thomas or talented players with no success like Vernon Gholston. Good leaders can have a team play beyond their talents or bad leaders can have a team underperform.

I find it interesting that an avowed Ireland hater would imply talent is the ONLY thing that matters.

36. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Figure of speech. Wasn't meant to be an insult.

37. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    How exactly are you measuring this? By his winning?

And by the same token, are you suggesting that Chad Henne did not have a strong will to win? How do you know this? Simply by the results?

38. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Great leadership can impact a team in many ways, ways that I don't believe you are thinking thru..

One example..great leadership can make others practice harder, can inspire others to realize what proper work ethic is all about..result-Good practice makes perfect.

Great leadership can make you raise your level of intensity as opposed to bad leadership can make you not..There are players intrinsically motivated and players who like to be lead.

39. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Leadership comes first ! Guys buying into it and giving 150% on every play. Patting helmets after a great play, lifting spirits, pumping each other up.
    Desire!! The winning results from that. On some teams I've played on, you could tell we were going to be great before the first snap of the season, because the guys around you wanted it. You saw their talent and their desire and whether you were just a nobody or a star on those teams, you gave 200% for it. The results were wins.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I honestly don't understand your post.

I didn't blame Ireland or Philbin for Long leaving.