1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Zeke0123, Oct 30, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Even if voice acting and good writing is as cheap as you say, the production time for creating the work of great writing (I think the stories for Skyrim being that there are hundreds of them are pretty damn good) and the great voice acting cost companies plenty of money.

I don't know, I just think if it was as cost effective as you think they would have done it.

Sure It's always nice if it could be better, but I just don't know if what you and Bruzer suggest is feasible given the size of the game.

And anyway, I don't consider the likes of Colonel Tigh to be bad voice acting -

[​IMG]

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm buying this after work. Doesn't help that my brother (PC version) is recommending it too. This is the last game I purchase until the holidays. On another note, better to sell or trade in your games?

3. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Any of you guys know if there's an easy way to do screen shots with the 360? I'd love to post up a pic of my character when I get him where I want and I'd also like to see the characters you guys are rolling with.

4. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    A couple of things I wanted to add that I forgot this morning:

- I find using the Favorites button an easy shortcut to programming everything through the main menu screen, especially when it comes to equipping specific spells, weapons (such as flipping from bow back to battle axe), shouts, etc.). It's much more efficient for me to use that in the heat of battle instead of going through 8 different screens.
    - I do wish there was a hot key for the map.
    - I'm about 95% certain that the voice of the Shopkeeper in Whiterun is Barry from Storage Wars, especially when he's talking about another man's junk being treasure. I could be wrong, but if that's the case it's an uncanny and somewhat ironic coincidence.

Oh. Well that sounds pretty dang easy. I will have to check it out tonight after I get checked into my hotel room. I want to also start unenchanting things prior to selling as I think that will help me imporove as well.

Fantastic. I received a Dark Brotherhood mission from a kid but did not want to complete if it would cost me moral standing.

I've been looting a LOT of jewelry. I guess I should start collecting the scrolls and stuff as well. Makes sense as it's pretty lightweight. Generally speaking I've been collecting light armor and the really expensive weapons.

5. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Well I've put a good 40 hours in it and my interest is still maintained.

Paul 13 likes this.
  6. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    If newer games, sell. If older games, probably trade in but I suppose you could put an ad on craigslist or something for a few days.

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Regarding money. Isn't there any cheat codes available? :)

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I had to take a break from playing to keep my sanity. I was starting to Skyrim dreams.

Clipse likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Exactly, I am sure Bethesda would love to have Bioware type stories as I am sure that Bioware would love to have a more open ended world. It is all about resources and return on investment.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  10. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I've always used our digital camera to take some photos, then load them onto our PC, then to Photobucket. It works okay, takes about ten minutes. My avatar and some APF 2K8 shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MonstBlitz likes this.
  11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah, I figured that might be the only way. Too bad xbox doesn't have a built in screen capture deal.

12. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Only other way is to buy a capture card.

13. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Ironicly, I was going to post of shot or two of my wife's Nord fighter chick, but the flash card reader on our PC just went belly up. I'll just buy an external USB reader, but the timing made me... :lol:

14. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Interesting tidbit about smithing and a great way to make money. So my buddy discovered that your level progress increases at the same rate all the time. So whether you make leather armor or dwarven it usually only takes a few pieces to level up. Also you could be level 20 or 80 it still takes the same amount of time. So if you go out into the wild and kill animals and collect their pelts or find them in dungeons you can then use the tanning rack and turn them into leather. Then there is a type of hide armor you can make and sell for almost 100 gold. It costs you nothing to make so it's all profit. Also you level up smithing in the process.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Stitches likes this.
  15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    [video=youtube;rinIiHc4ueg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rinIiHc4ueg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Best. Glitch. Ever?

16. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    ^only if you could ride the horse at the same time :lol:

Yeah... bought a horse this morning, not a big fan of the mount / fighting functionality... or lack thereof. You get off your horse to fight, and then the damn thing gets in the way. Can I stable the thing?

17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Anybody have any must have perks I should invest in? I've been saving them. I don't want to end up wasting them like I did in Fallout.

18. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Your choice in perks is really dependent upon how you plan on building your character out ... and what you want them to focus on.

For example, I'm a Nord Warrior, and I'm focused on One Handed, Light Armor, and Shield ... my secondary perk is Smithing and I'll eventually get into magic but it's a long time down the road.

Just based on how I'm playing I'm seeing Lockpick, Speech, and Enchanting rise but I'm not focused on those perks, as I'm more interested in building a BA Norse Warrior.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  19. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    REALLY would like to be able to shoot bow from horseback ... a miss by the development team IMO.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Pretty much agree with Odin.

I did waste one because I thought that if the paths converge on one, I would need to complete both paths. However that is not the case, if you can get to it, you can choose it.

I spent a lot of money getting to the point where I can make Dragon Armor. It is pretty bad ***, however I almost wish it was harder to get from 90 to 100, so I could have tried to get Deadric Armor. That one looks so freaking cool!

I think all of the perks are useful.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Most likely a balancing issue, the game is easy enough without adding horses into it.

I had to kill my first horse. It attacked me for some reason while I was fighting a dragon and some spriggans.

22. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got my Smithing at around 75; I'm trying to level up my other skills at the same speed. I'm going light armor and the Glass Armor is pretty impressive.

I've found that Smithing, Alchemy, and Enchantment all level up pretty easily, as do Lockpicking and Speech. What I like is that this may just be how I'm approaching game; generally speaking my character is straight-forward and decisive, but I enjoy the diversions associated with those other skills.

One perk I think everyone should take is the first one in Speech, which nets you 10% increase to prices for goods and services. Outside of that, you should really look at how you want your character to end up and work backwards from there.

23. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Ah, a fellow mind :shifty:

Unlike Fallout, there's only a couple of "must have" perks: Weapon and armor perks become increasingly important as the game progresses (you will need the extra damage and armor class), smithing is very useful and enchanting is a must, especially with the "extra effect" perk that allows you to create uber items. Destruction is also a very good choice as destruction spells tend to be rather powerful. The same goes for restoration as it significantly reduces the need for potions (and thus the need to rummage through your inventory a lot).

The rest pretty much falls into the "nice to have category".

MonstBlitz likes this.
  24. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Dear God, no, what a waste :lol:

Seriously, I'm at level 21, I have about 50k gold and pretty much the last thing on planet Skyrim I need is even more gold.

25. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I was thinking the same thing in terms of not needing Gold. Seems like to me you can find pretty much everything that anyone has for sale for free out in the open world. But I'm less than 10 hours in though, so I could be wrong on that.

I was able to jack my archery WAY up last night. I got a mammoth and giant to follow me up a hill and they got stuck under a tree trunk that was sticking out sideways. They wouldn't go around it so I plugged the 2 of them full of a whole lot of arrows. Took forever but jacked my archery up about 5 or 6 levels.

Stitches likes this.
  26. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't had that much success with my looting. Then again I've bought two houses. :lol:

27. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, I didn't realize that the harder the armor was to smith (like dwarven, orc, or glass vs hide or iron for example) didn't affect your growth in smithing. I wasted perks on light armor (elvish and glass) smithing that I wish I wouldn't have, though I am using an elven bow and mace (which I refined up to flawless) so maybe it wasn't a total waste.

I've found I tend to want to take the enemy by surprise so I've been building up my sneak and archery perks a lot.

I'll have to look into enchanting perks so I can get the one Vendigo mentions.

28. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    You do know that you can create awfully expensive jewellery through smithing, right? I'm asking because I could easily get to 100k+ just by finding someone with enough money to buy my handmade necklaces and because the jewelery crafting is easily overlooked.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    If you are looking to sell a basic item, not enchanted, just a piece of armor or weaponry, outside of the effect of some of the speech perks (there is a perk that nets you a better deal if you sell or buy to a member of the opposite sex)... question is: is the sales price the same no matter who is looking to buy it? I think I'm at the point where gold is not that important, but just a curious question. I mean I don't pick up anything that is heavy to sell anymore, it just loads me down and becomes annoying if I'm in the middle of nowhere (dungeon).

My character is only level 7, I'm playing an archer/mage. But I'm running around in heavy armor at the moment because I don't have any protection based spells (yet). Smithing sounds cool, but I don't think I'd have a use to put perks into it given the long term prospects of my character. At least not yet. I've been busy with the main story line that I don't have the opportunity to get into any of the crafting skills yet. I can see alchemy being very important though and would probably save me magicka while I'm running around trying to get up on something to take down a frost troll. Nasty little guys... taking me out in two hits. Furry little critters... Putting 30 or 40 arrows into one... and dual casting the flame spell is about my only strategy at the moment. I need more spells. I also know I need something other than magic to take **** down because there are magic resist creatures (or so i've been informed LOL).

30. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm pretty sure the prices are the same from everyone. Obviously if you invest in the speech sikill your prices will improve.

If you are getting killed easily I would consider finding yourself a follower to offset your skills. So in my case I often look for an archer / mage, because I'm a close range fighter. In your case, if you'e playing as a long range / spells character you want to look at hiring a damage sponge. If you are already the Thane of Whiterun then your housecarl would be a good match. Otherwise find yourself some gold and hire one - they are about 500 apiece I believe.

31. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I am about to ding to 19, and Im still maybe 6-7 quests in to main story line. First I did all the companion side quests (recommend that) now Im helping the "good guys" to take Skyrim back, and kick the Empire's ***. My one handed weaponry is up in the 70s, and my heavy armor is getting up there too. Last night I got a sword as a reward for completing a quest that does only 26 damage, but it simultaneously lights up your enemy for another 25, so I think Ill be keeping it for a while. I don't really use a bow at all, and my follower (the heavy armor guy from the Companions) got dwaven mace and dwarven shield to run around with, so he does good for himself too. I have't really gotten in to smiting yet, but I want to. I tried refining my sword that I received, but I guess I need a perk to do that so enchanted weapons. I think I will be doing this quest chain until I hit the wall, and then Ill be back to doing main story again.
    As for money, Im at around 20k and a fully "decorated" house, and I just don't need anything.

32. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I can't decide if I want to help the empire or rebellion

33. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm the same way. I'm thinking I may do the Civil War storyline as the very very last part of my playthrough.

I'm leaning Stormcloak based on the Talos perk, but I prefer the logo of the Empire. Decisions, decisions.

34. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    My understanding from having conversations with NPC'S is the last two dragonborn were Tiber Septim and Martin. Also dragonborn tend to become the High King of the empire. Therefore it seems like fate that I should join the empire.

But I like supporting rebels in games. Although the stormcloaks seem to want a Nord only society. That's not cool in my book.

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Hail the Empire!

36. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    With no work tomorrow I can finally devote some serious time to this game. Work can't end soon enough.

As far as the rebellion or empire, I'm guessing the rebellion are the underdogs based on what little I've played so far, so that pretty much seals it for me.

37. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Well, the rebellion are also a bunch of xenophobic Nord Nazis, so unless you're a Republican, they might not be quite your cup of tea :shifty:

MonstBlitz likes this.
  38. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Been playing so much haven't been posting ;) loving every aspect of this game...Made a dual wield conjurer with a wizard/conj side kick seems like a decent enough combo only a few fights have tested my potion inventory haha. had a spirit type boss shout my weapon out of my hand and then he picked it up then he dissipated after I kicked his ***...bye bye weapon :( and it was a good one.

39. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Hmmm...Not sure if I can fight for their cause then. I'll have to let both sides wine me and dine me before I lend either my services...

40. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Is there any use for the dragon scales and bones other than to sell?