1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smallville

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sethdaddy8, Oct 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I searched and do not think there is another thread here on this show.

I've never missed an episode. I've been there through the good and bad. Are there any other fans of this show? Personally, I think it tanked when Mr.Kent got kicked off. But I still tivo and watch it without fail. Plus, the broad who plays Lois is so friggin hot.

This season, we got some interesting new additions. David Silver is in the house, as is Lt. Gaeta, from Battlestar. They got moved to Friday, bad sign. Is this it for the show?

And oh, the dude playing Zod, a prissy, scrawny, meek lookin British dude?
    What a swing and a miss. The last chance to revive this show, and they blow it. They are blowing the Zod character.

Check that, I think David Silver is off the show already. Oh, no wait, he's still alive. No...now dead. I think.

Any Fans?

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I used to be. The show has had a good run... Season's 1-6 were actually pretty good. Not many shows can do that. seasons 7-8 were pretty terrible. Season 9 doesn't look much better. The crux of the problem is Smallville refuses to evolve into Superman... Lois and Clark need to happen already. They need to get together, she needs to find out who he is, etc... It would tweak the show in the right direction. No Lex Luther/Michael Rosenbaum sucks too. Clark/Lex were always an interesting dynamic. Although I did read MR say he would only come back for a few eps during the series finale.

You're right about Zod... Awful. I actually liked the idea of John Corban, but it looks like he's done before he started. It's a shame... I wish they didn't make him a reporter.

I've always DVR'd the show and watched when I was bored. The new change to Friday doesn't effect me... CW's ratings across the board are pretty weak. However their DVR/TIVO ratings are actually quite high though from what I've read. SV has always been CW's best show ratings wise. I don't think they're trying to kill it, just trying to avoid the killer thursday schedule and get the Friday viewers (which is kinda a day for sci fi shows now).

P.S. Erica Durance FTW! :knucks:

Vengeful Odin and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah, losing Lana and Lex hurt. Like most high school shows, once the kids graduate, its never quite the same. The first few seasons were great, but now its pulling a beverly hills 90210, awkward story-lines as the kids grow up.

i mean, it shouldnt be THAT hard to write a good, flowing script about Superman.

4. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    For me Seasons 1-4 were far and away the best ... the show has just continuously lost steam over the past seasons. 1-4 made sense to me because that's Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year ... even after those good seasons, Season 5 and 6 focusing on college worked, somewhat.

That said, these last several seasons have been largely unbearable for me (and I'm a huge Superman fan ... ), and I've been disappointed in the lack of growth (or the inappropriate growth) for the show and the character ... I can sum it up thusly: Shouldn't Clark have glasses by now?

I'll always love those first 4 seasons, and I have made somewhat of an effort to pick up the later ones on DVD, as I'm a completist, but the days of me making this appointment television have come and gone unfortunately ...

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh, and Seth ... I respect the hell out of you for sticking with it. I've pulled my hair out at some of the crap they've done on the show.

It ended for me with the whole Lana Baby / Lex Marriage crap. WTF?!?

6. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I still watch it. Its always been a frustrating show for me. There would be a few episodes every season that were really good but they would seem to struggle to build off of them and move the arc of the season and the whole show forward. I could bear with the filler episodes when Kristin Kreuk was still around because I absolutely love her. But now without her I get annoyed when the story strays from Clark too much.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  7. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i agree totally with all of the above. and especially your spoiler VO. there is just something about school shows, where righters fail at merging the next level.

the doomsday angle was okay too, but again, could've been WAY better. the writers are botching these awesome things.

DevilFin13 likes this.
  8. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I've only seen seasons 1-8, and ironically have seen every episode except the debut. Anyway, I'm a diehard fan. I'm now worried about season 9 from the talk here.

They've done a pretty good job of introducing other characters from the DC universe. Justin Hartley rocks as the Green Arrow and the actor who does J'onn Jonzz is pretty good too. I hate Bart Allen and wish it was a different character and actor for the Flash. Black Canary, the way the've done her, I could take or leave. Alan Ritchson certainly looks like Aquaman, but he's not the greatest actor, passable. Linda Vandervoort also is passable, not great, as Supergirl. I don't like the choice of actor for Cyborg. He doesn't look like the character and he doesn't come off the same way. Zatanna, IMO, was really good and she's really hot. I didn't like the role of Chloe at first, but I've learned to accept her. I was kind of disappointed that Bizarro "not talk like from Bizarro world" and the Legion of Superheroes was really underdone.

One of the things that really cool about the show is the twists that they've put into it. The meteor freaks are a nice addition and I like how Kryptonians on the show aren't exactly as noble as they are in the comics and the Superman movies. The Kal-El persona is downright ruthless, so it's nice to see how the Kents have had a role in shaping Superman, not just being background caretakers.

Season 9 is supposed to be the last, so what's in store? I'm hoping that there will be a Bruce Wayne cameo. Maybe Clark travels to Gotham City and somehow interacts with Bruce before he becomes Batman. I keep thinking that there's a way for Princess Diana to interact. I was thinking that when Clark FINALLY learns to fly that he'll take a joy-flight and accidentally discover Themiscyra. Then Diana comes up through the clouds, she takes him to be a threat, attacks, and they start to pound on each other until they reach a standstill. Or maybe, she monitors goings-on in Metropolis and elsewhere through some sort of advanced Amazonian spy technology.

Sethdaddy8 and DevilFin13 like this.
  9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This season has been a bit of a snoozer but overall its one of m favorite shows. They do need to let it start to evolve more because it seems that may be the only way to save the show...

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Oh and laura vandervort is smoking...her and erica durance keep me watching even during the slow episodes...

11. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i have to say, the last few episodes have been pretty solid! i mean, this show has been to hell and back, and been a bit of a cluster F---, even in comparison to Heroes. But ive been more than pleased throughout oct/nov.

but two things just totally get me.

1) how hot is lois...googly moogly she is smooooookin.

and 2) zod is terrible. not a bad actor, but a skinny, prissy, lil cockney brit? cmon! they blew a chance to get a cool, bad-*** dude in on one of the cooler bad guy roles of all time. he seems neither, smart, cunning, strong, vicious, scary...NOTHING. he's whimpy and annoying. tremendous failure. the weird brian austin green episodes were more intriguing. this guy is just terrible.

12. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I've seen the season 9 premiere and I don't get what you guys are saying about Zod. The guy that I see has a pretty impressive body and is hardly prissy.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Is he Superman yet?

No? well ****.

14. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    the guy who played Zod in superman 2, though not physically imposing, had a menacing and "tough" disposition. this guy seems wimpy and whiney to me. he's not "strong" looking. the nicest thing i can say about his physique is that he's not over-weight.

15. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    [​IMG]

Granted he's not Swarzeneggar in his prime, but those look like some pretty impressive biceps and delts to me.

As for his presence, don't forget at the start of the season he's still a major, not yet a general. I think that he does portray a thirst for power pretty well. It's then a reasonable assumption that as his power grows so will his presence of command.

BTW, the image that I've intended to post does appear in my edit screen, but I don't see it. Do you guys?

16. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    dont see it bro.

17. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
  18. finfan01

finfan01 U-C-F Knights!

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    I loved the show, but this huge break in episodes sucks. Hopefully the 2 hour mini-movie can help revive it with the JSA...

19. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i maintain that this guy is feeble physically...but he's a hell of an actor. actually too good for this show. they mustve just went for the talent.