1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smiley takes large paycut in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Jun 3, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/03/smiley-takes-a-5-million-pay-cut-in-jacksonville/

5 million is no small cuttings, but it is better to have a job than have to accept the Vet minimum on a 1yr deal somewhere.

jetssuck likes this.
  2. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
  3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    We traded him didn't we? IIRC we did, and if so, we don't have 'dead money' on our books like we would have if we Smiley was simply cut.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my initial thoughts on that portion of it. Interesting pick up for the Jags though; as I wonder if he would b e considered physical enough to line up on the their offensive line, although IIRC they do have a call for mobile guards in their offense.

4. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
  5. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

I was basing it on an article I read that listed some players that we owed "dead money" to this year and Smiley was listed amongst them. If I can find the article, I'll post it...

6. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Trading or cutting a player still accelerates the bonus money to this year's cap number, no? I was always under the impression that all guaranteed monies jump up once the player is let off the team in any fashion.

If true, then I would tend to think that JS is right in that we have dead money tied up in Smiley...which makes me frowney.