1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, does anyone know why Wii games are so expensive.

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My oldest daughter is three and a half, and we've finally gotten to the point where she's interested in doing something with the Wii other than creating people and changing their hair. She enjoys some of the Wii sports, and we've borrowed a few games from the library for little kids. So, great.

I realize that the Wii has been replaced by the Wii U, and most stores aren't going to carry games on the shelves much anymore. So, I go on Amazon to see what kind of bargains I can get, and I'm really disapointed to see that most games are full price no matter how old they are. With a PS3 game, once its two or three years old, its generally in the $19.99 bin as a "greatest hit", but there are Wii games four and five years old that are five bucks off, at most. Yes, you can buy them used for less, but I've learned never, ever to trust that through Amazon.

So, why do they cost so much? It can't be supply and demand, as they made millions of the things when the system was on top and there have to be tons sitting around in warehouses still.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :confused:

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Most games seem to be under $30, and the majority of those are less than $20, it's only the first party titles that seem to approach that upper price. To that end, Nintendo is notorious for retaining their price for a long time into a system's life.

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, are you looking in the right place?

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I am pretty much looking at games made my Nintendo themselves, yes. I know that third party Wii games can be absolute trash, and I'd like to get games like Mario Kart and other "name" Nintendo series for the kids.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ok, well $25 and $30 is still less than the original price, even if they are only ~$5 off full price, as they were $50 when they came out.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Oh, well that's where my problem is then. I was under the (apparently incorrect) impression that many Wii games were $30 new, with the most expensive ones $40. I had no idea that $50 was commonplace, I thought that was for the highest end ones. Just based on my limited shopping for them at Best Buy or Target over the years.

Still though, I find it odd that games drop so much quicker in price on "higher" systems. I guess people will still pay the price on the Wii? I also saw a lot of situations on Amazon with multi platform games where the Wii game was more expensive now than on the other systems, even if it was cheaper to start with.