1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So exactly how have we improved our chances of winning the AFC EAST?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm not going to sit here and bash this team for things I feel they should have done, or players that they should/could have gone for if they really wanted to win in the NFL. Now as most of us know you build your team to win your division and I fail to see what we have done player wise to help us win or even improve our position in the AFC East this year.

I see the Jets continuing to bolster their team, to bring in players who will at least on paper make them a better team on offense and defense this year. New England is once again bringing in alot of talented veterans to help improve that team for another run at the Superbowl.

I don't sense the urgency in Miami. I know we signed a couple of unrestricted, and 1 or two veteran players on defense and Reggie bush (im not excited) and that's about it.

I'm not sensing championship in Miami. I'm not sensing Playoffs either. I'm sensing a 500 team once again and in 2 years tops were starting all over again with new personnel hope I am wrong and yes we need to see what the new offense looks like, but I'm not seeing how we have improved our chances of winning the AFC east can someone explain the pieces we added to shut down the Jets and New England?

Signed Concerned in PA.

(Well at least my NFC team the Eagles are going to be fun to watch this year!)

2. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    If Sparano manages to get fired at the break, four weeks in, then we will have a shot at the playoffs. If he lasts until after the second NE game, the season will be a washout.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  3. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Wow Im not ready to say that will happen. In Fact I think he has no shot of getting fired during the season after the off season mess ROSS made in the coach hunt. I will say that I feel in many of those games we were out coached sadly for Sparano last years scape goat is gone now so the blame will fall on him for the playcalling.

4. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I think there are a few areas where we have improved.

I think we've improved the interior of our OL with the drafting of Mike Pouncey. I think you will see Miami upgrade the RG position with the acquisitions of either Shaun O'Hara or Leonard Davis.

I think we've upgraded our WR unit. Brandon Marshall looks to be in the best shape of his life, physically and mentally. We added some nice speed with Gates which should help things.

I think we improved our LB corp. I know people love Crowder. I liked him too. He was a leader. He was intelligent. And he knew how to play in this defense. However, I think Burnett brings some nice big play ability. I think Jason Taylor offers more big play ability as well. Is he going to provide the great pass rush? No, but he can make more big plays than Quentin Moses or anyone else who filled his position.

I think our CB's will be upgraded. Having Will Allen come back to replace Benny Sapp is an upgrade.

So, I think we've upgraded some areas. Are they good enough to overcome the decline of some players that are just going to happen? We'll see. Are they enough to compete with the Jets & Patriots? I dunno.

GMJohnson likes this.
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    - We upgraded our playmaking ability at MLB, swapping Crowder for Burnett
    - Upgraded our depth at OLB with JT
    - Added speed to the WR position with the fastest WR in the combine. Also, Marshall has improved his condition and has added some more speed/explosiveness.
    - Got faster and younger at RB with Bush and Daniel Thomas
    - Essentially added 2 1st round picks in Pouncey and Odrick.

Also, our young core is one more year experienced. Now, is it enough to top the Pats? I dont think so. But we've made improvements...

6. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks both of you rdhstlr23 and FinNasty for your input. I see alot of defensive talent and some line additions, but I still feel we needed to get a Stud TE, and another wideout. Also seems this regime is set on relaying on the young guys stepping up but Im not sure our secondary is going to be better this year.

7. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Wow I would do that as well. If we cant score why the hell should the opposing team? Sounds fair right?

8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I would have really loved Zach Miller...

9. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Agree with everything said before and we don't have Henning calling plays. Seema like we are going to a new style of offense more built for speed and scoring.

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Even for you, this is bad. Can you name an interim head coach who has made the playoffs?

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Brady's one more year closer to retiring. That's how. :shifty:

GMJohnson and steveincolorado like this.
  12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, if we were checking boxes:

situational passrusher..check
    ILB upgrade (seemingly) check
    new backup Qb (many did not like Thiggy, I did, he is gone now, they never listen) check
    more explosive type players for the offense...check
    improved talent on the interior Oline...mostly a check, RG is still an issue
    younger at running back...check

Left to do:

RG position is a weakness
    Seam busting Te is a weakness, love C Clay, but bet the house on a 5th rd pick makes little sense
    Henne...'nuff said
    we have gotten younger at Rb, remains to be seen if they are better.
    ST is still a unknown, seriously.

GMJohnson likes this.
  13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Our, D-Line, in conjunction with the law firm of Cam Wake, LLC esq., will help him make the decision.

GMJohnson and ToddsPhins like this.
  14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    My son, the homer. lol.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I am you. And you're too young to be my old man. That guy's 50.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Maybe I'm crazy but how have Jets bolstered their team?

slickj101 and ToddsPhins like this.
  17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

They added 34 year old WR whose greatest talent is being born tall.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Say hello to Cheddar Bob!

slickj101 likes this.
  19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    he's smart..... and you're a PITA. I'd delay having you for as long as possible too. :tongue2:

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Helluva post.

21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    And teach a guy who has never played in a 3-4 to come in and learn the scheme within the few weeks AFTER we sign him to a big $$$ contract? I'm not so sure about that one.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The correct answer is, Hell No.

23. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    He's plenty talented, and handy with a firearm too. I mean how many people can drop a pistol down their pants leg and wind up with a gunshot wound? Hmmmm.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Someone's whose tallywhacker is small enough to pull the trigger? :dunno:
    Ozzy, any clarification on that one? nee ner nee ner