1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so exactly how is this new head coach going to work??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    As it stands now it looks like fisher is gone and the Dolphins are interviewing ever possible replacement that they can find. I'm ok with that as the are doing their due dillagence but once again ROSS doesn't seem to be able to Land the man he wanted.

So where does that leave our new head coach?? We all know Ireland is working as hard as possible to make sure it's his man as to keep his job regardless if it's the best thing for the franchise. so if Jeff gets his man and what is going to happen to the teams existing coaches?

Is the new coach just going to come in and everything else stays the same?? Is Nolan still the defensive coordinator? Are we still going to use this new dibaol offense going forwards? Does the new coach not have final say but were just thinking of sliding in a new coach and somehow the talent will produce better because of it???

What's the real gameplay?? I don't see a good future with the aove scenario as the coach would be a lame duck so to speak. Also if this process drags on will we suffer more on the loss of a new coach getting his guys in place???

2. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    First of all, I don't this idea some have that Jeff Ireland is only going to make sure it is his man so he can keep his job. You do realize that if Miami hires a bad coach this go around that Ireland won't have a job? What exactly would be his motivation for hiring a bad head coach? Because that is what is being insinuated. Jeff is going to hire a bad coach just so he can keep his job. Come on! Let's use a littel common sense here and drop all the Jeff Ireland hatred that is out there.

Secondly, Miami isn't interviewing every possible replacement they can find. It's quite obvious to me that they spent the last 3 weeks of the season forming a list of coaches to interview, and they are working from that list. I don't see them focusing on just one guy. They obviously have a better contingency plan in place than they did last year.

What was the plan? I don't know for sure. I feel like the plan was to first see if Bill Cowher and/or Jon Gruden were interested in coaching again. Neither are interested though, so they moved on to plan B which included Jeff Fisher and a few current coordinators.

I feel like by the end of the week, Miami will be naming Mike Zimmer as their head coach. He has a previous working relationship with Jeff Ireland, and as Brian Billick stated, the GM/HC relationship is an important one.

3. sws84

sws84 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    I like that we are interviewing a lot of candidates. IMO, it's a good way to hear what outsiders think about our team, the areas where we can improve, and fresh ideas on how we are going to be competitive in the future. After reading Armando's article, I am intrigued about Winston Moss. but if it ends up being Zimmer I would be alright with him too since a lot of folks around here like him. However, if it ends up being Mularkey I may go for the gas pipe because I don't know how much longer I can take the lunacy our front office shows sometimes.

Steve :)

Aquafin, cdz12250 and MikeHoncho like this.
  4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Everyone gets the ax.

[​IMG]

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Most likely, some of the current assistants will stay and some will go. That is usually what happens. As I recall, when Sparano took over it was an all new staff of assistants except for two holdovers. When Cameron took over, he kept a few of Saban's coaches. Seems like Saban kept a few of Wannstedt and Bates assistants, and so on.

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Cmon, let the conspiracy theories stop. Ireland's whole future depends upon him finding the right coach to improve this team.

7. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    The damage has already been done, might as well stick with Ireland now. We have already lost all the big names out there. Which really is unimportant if we cant get a QB.

Larry Little likes this.
  8. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    How have we lost the big nameS? Cowher and Gruden aren't exactly going to other NFL teams. so, likely they wanted to stay put.
    We lost to Fisher, came down to us and St Louis. They have a better situation.

cdz12250 likes this.
  9. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    ABM.
    Anybody But Mularkey.

10. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    I dont really mind Ireland's body of work so far. It will be interesting to see this offseason.

However, the issue I have with Ireland is he just seems to be all about self preservation. It seemed like he was probably whispering into Ross' ear to can Sparano and that it was all on him. While we dont know details on how Ross came to the decision, I think Ireland had a big part.

11. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I cant stand Ireland he is the reason people around the league think that Miami is a grave yard of a franchize . I dont see that just because Cowher and Gruden said that they are fine doesnt mean that wont get back into coaching. the fact we kept Ireland is really killing us.What I dont understand is why havent teams talked to Steve Marriuchi former 49 er coach this guy ought to be looked at because he can coach.

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

First off, not one name brand coach has yet to turn us down specifically. Cowher and Gruden aren't going to coach anyone this coming season. They've made that clear. Fisher has yet to turn us down and is, at least, listening. Whether he ultimately chooses us won't be know for another day or so, but there is no shame on Ross or Ireland for not doing what they can to get Fisher here so far.

After that, there are no 'name brand' guys out there. They are interviewing all the hot coordinators. Philbin, Zimmer, Bowles, etc... Still nothing that Ross/Ireland has done should shame the organization. Logically, my guess is they are waiting for Fisher's decision and then will move on from there. It's not like they have been sitting on their thumbs thru this process. There has been some work done and there seems to be a plan in place to get the best possible guy.

KB is right, Ireland has nothing to gain by not getting the big fish'er' (pardon the pun). He has nothing to gain by not making the best possible decisions he can by interviewing the candidates they have on their list and presenting that to Ross for approval.

At the end of it all, it's still a crap game. I mean, many of us thought that Quitcells would bring us back to respectability and look how that has turned out ?? And his was a much bigger name than Fisher...

Stitches likes this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    if I had to guess, Mooch isn't getting any action because he can't sustain leadership over his men..Same thing with Billick..

14. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Care to provide some examples?

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This is just speculation on your part...I don't see that 'self preservation' thing in Ireland. I'm also not convinced about his body of work, but I highly doubt that he was whispering in Ross' ear to can Sparano... That's just guessing on someone's part that Ireland was doing such a thing.

And if he was, wouldn't that be a strike against him in Ross' eyes?? I know if I were Ross and one of my subordinates was doing this, I'd have let both go, not just one...