1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, how long do the starters play Thursday?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Normally, a lot of teams won't even suit up their big players. Other teams tend to give their starters a series, maybe 2.

I think we could use the extra work on offense, especially the running game. I don't want Tannehill or Wallace/Hartline or Pouncey out there very long but the others could use the work. The running backs, Martin, tight ends, the guards, etc.

As for the defense, I wouldn't even bother dressing guys like Wake, Soliai, Ellerbe, Jones and Grimes.

I'll be watching every second regardless, because it's football but it's always interesting to me to see how long these guys get. IIRC, Tannehill only played one series in the preseason finale in Dallas last year.

2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well since tony sparano is gone, i would hope one series at most, with players like mike wallace not playing at all

The Rev likes this.
  3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    one drive.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Two series, max.

5. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    Take no chances. Just bring it week 1 baby.

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If it were me, I woudnt even suit them up. Play the reserves the whole game, mostly the guys at the very bottom of the roster. In reality, they'll likely play one drive or so.

7. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I'd have them play a drive. See if we can get into the redzone and score a TD.

8. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The starters have already had 4 games. Rest them all. Use this game to really help make the decisions for the bottom of the roster.

mbsinmisc, SICK and Larryfinfan like this.
  9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Interesting decision that the staff has to make...On one hand, we've played 4 games and the starters have all had a fair share of live reps for the PS. On the other hand, you've got a major change in your offense with Keller's injury that needs to be ironed out and then there is the turnstile that has been the RG spot that isn't clearly determined...

Sooooo...we may see the starters for a series or two, just to try to iron out those kinks...or we could see some position guys (Clay, Egnew, Sims and LL, JJ, JS) all get extended playing time without the all the big guns around them...

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Comparatively speaking, this is how Tannehill's total play count matches up to other #1 qb's this preseason:

105 Tannehill
    99 Locker
    98 Flacco
    97 P Manning
    88 Brady
    88 Weeden
    85 Wilson
    83 Newton
    83 Ryan
    83 Smith
    81 Luck

In other words, I'd sit him for the entire game. However, there are some starters that need some reps. John Jerry and Randy Starks come to mind. I'd sit the following starters...

Incognito
    Pouncey
    Clabo
    Wallace
    Hartline

Wake
    Soliai
    Ellerbe (although he did miss time earlier)
    Grimes
    Jones

IMO, as veterans, they've earned the right to sit out. The rest of the starters need at least two series. I'd also play Devlin to start the game and play the first half. And have Corp play the second half. Sit Moore. I want to see Devlin with some first string guys.

MrClean, SICK and Fin D like this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Ryan Tannehill and Lamar Miller can all take the night off completely, as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't even play them a single snap if I had the choice (which admittedly, I may not, because Goodell has some memos out there about giving the fans their money's worth). Maybe just one or two snaps. Either way, they are what they're going to be.

But I would play the offensive line. They need the work. We still haven't even figured out who the starting right guard is, unless I missed something. I would also play Charles Clay, and of course the fullbacks.

On defense, I would sit Cameron Wake, Randy Starks, Jared Odrick, Paul Soliai, Dannell Ellerbe, Phil Wheeler, Koa Misi, Reshad Jones, Chris Clemons and Brent Grimes after one series. They are what they're going to be. I would keep Olivier Vernon, Dimitri Patterson and Nolan Carroll on the field longer, because they need work.

12. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    deal :up:

13. FinsUp

FinsUp New Member

Apr 5, 2013
    New York, NY
    Yeah it's a tough one given that Philbin wanted the extra game to give the team more time to gel. So with that being said, I think a lot of starters might see a series. However, there are some players that could sit, as some of you mentioned already. The defense at this point, is ahead of the offense. So I'd say more starters sit on defense. Particularly the likes of Wake, Grimes, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Soliai etc. As for the offense, I'd probably sit Wallace and Hartline. The TEs need reps (I'd like to see Sims start week 1) as do the RBs. I think Jerry will start at RG, but he will also need some reps as he continues to get in game shape.

14. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I must be the odd man out in my opinion. Football is a 4 quarter game and I say play the starters until midway through the 3rd quarter; more reps, perfect timing and chemistry and get the players used to playing close to 4 quarters. In other words- help get them into football shape.

Then the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers (if the depth chart is that deep) it becomes desperation time for these guys to shine as they won't have the same number of reps. "You only have this many plays to impress me...show me what you got". Those who REALLY have what it takes will step up and take advantage of the limited opportunities they will have. They've already had the most reps during preseason. Limited the time they have to impress and see who steps up.

I don't know...at least that's how I remember preseason under the "Don"...the final preseason game was the starters' last dress rehearsal before it really counted...and the bench warmers' last chance to make the team.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Personally I'd love to sit most every offensive skill position out except the TEs. I'd probably put the starting OL out there for a drive and then pull all of them but Jerry. On D I'd sit every starter I could. I don't care if we lose this game 40 - 0. I'd treat it as a bye week as much as possible and play the equivalent of the scout team. The play calling would also be as vanilla as possible. A lot of run into the line two or three times and then punt.

16. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I dont care if they play at all... I would like to see bubble players play the whole game. Does anyone know when we have to cut down to 75 players? From my count i think we are at 85

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Tuesday by 4:00 pm, I believe.

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I doubt Corp is around for the next game. I agree with everything you said, except I'd start Moore, play him for a half, then Devlin.

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I would sit Mike Pouncey as well.
    The last time we kept an elite OL in the last preseason game he screwed up his knee.

20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Do they have to sit on the sideline? Someone could run into Tannehil........

Lol...I wouldnt even have them suit up

21. DHPVW

DHPVW DuB addict

Apr 1, 2010
    AZ-520
    I would sit all the obvious starters, offense and defense. No need to get anyone injured imo. On offense I would sit Cog and Pouncey on the OL but let the rest of the play for a bit. Sit Miller but let the other 3 RB's go at it. Sit Wallace, Hartline and Gibson and let the rest play. TE's all need to play, they all need the reps.

Defense I would sit every starter

22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Saturday to Thursday is not enough time to let the body heal of the starters considering how much they did play on saturday,only in the regular season should it be allowed...

Sit them..please.