1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So let's talk defense...3 years from now.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CitizenSnips, Sep 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Alright. Like everyone else, last night's game left me in a utter pit of despair and hopelessness. Miamis offense pretty much executed everything they attempted to perfection. And yet we still lost. Now anyone who really watched the game knows this loss was entirely the Defenses fault. And the loss was so bad that it got me thinking...

"In 3 years, who from this defense is still going to be here?"

So here it goes. My opinion on who goes and who stays.

We start up front:
    Kendall Langford. He stays. He's a big body, works hard, does what we need him to do. he's not a stud, but he's a viable starter at the LE spot.

Phillip Merling. he stays. He seems to slouch in practice, but he seems to show up for the games. Whether or not the coaching staff decides to keep him around is up to them. I think he'll still be here.

Jason Ferguson. He'll be retired. Big hole here.

Paul Solai. I think he'll be gone as well. unfortunately I don't think Solai will fill Ferg's massive shoe, and he'll be gone.

Randy Starks. Depending on what we bring in, i think he'll stay. he's still young, he'll hang around. Probably not as a starter though.

McDaniel
    . Pretty much same as Starks.

I don't know how many starters we have on the d-line for the future, but there are guys I'd be okay with if they were still here.

Jason Taylor
    . Retired.

Joey Porter. Retired.

Charlie Anderson. gone.

Quinton Moses. Most likely gone.

Cam Wake. He's not even active now, and he's already 27. Unless he explodes soon, he's gone.

Channing Crowder. His contract suggests he'll still be here, but he probably won't be a starter in 3 years. Channing just doesn't have it. I think if it's financially smart to let him go somewhere in the next 3 years, he's gone.

Akin Ayodele. I think he's gone after this year.

Reggie Torbor. We can do better depth-wise. He's gone.

Alright. Take a deep breath. Im serious. In 3 years, I think this entire linebacking corp is gone. They can't cover anybody. Their not getting pressure. The ones who can are getting older by the day. They are an unimpressive and boring unit.

Now for the secondary.

I'm putting Bell and Wilson together. They play the same, they both do nothing. I expect both Bell and Wilson to be gone by next season. Hopefully their both gone by midseason from the starting lineups. They have no playmaking ability what so ever. Wilson more than proved that by not catching the INT that was put right in his hands. That play would have kept the colts from scoring that field goal before half. I argued for them. I'm embarrassed to say that. These guys have nothing to offer. Put Jason Allen and Culver back there, or Chris Clemons. I do not care. they can't possibly play any worse.

Will Allen. Gone. I like Will Allen, but with the two guys behind him, he won't be hanging around.

Sean Smith. Starter.

Vontae Davis. Starter.

Nate Jones. Gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. So, IMO, in 3 years, we will only have 5 players on this defense currently. Only 3 I see as starters. That's not good. Our entire draft for the next two years might have to be completely devoted to defense. We need two safeties. ( while i hope we're not in position for him, Eric Berry would be amazing) 4 New linebackers, and a big nasty NT.

We're in a lot more trouble then we thought on defense. The unit we have this year might get it together as the season goes on, but we still have to play the Saints, Pats (who will be better), Chargers, and more.

This defense needs to be broken down into nothing and rebuilt. We have a lot of players who have no real future with this team.

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm overreacting? Let me hear it.

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I agree with all of it. I've said as much last night. This defense isn't very good.

Unfortunately, we're going into next off-season with pretty much the same needs. LB (ILB and OLB), S, DT, WR, TE, maybe RB based on what happens to Ronnie Brown this off-season.

Besides CB, we haven't exactly fixed any long term problems.

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    after last night, im more convinced we should pay Ronnie than ever. All of our attention has to be on defense. ALL OF IT. It'd be nice to get a top tier WR, it really would, but the guys we have can get the job done, where as on defense that is just not the case.

4. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I also agree with who will be here and who won't. There will probably be one surprise in their somewhere but other than that it is most likely accurate.