1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Tannenhill's job is on the line?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Feb 7, 2014.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    So now we lost 8 games because the defense choked? Last time I checked, our defense ranked in the top 3rd for points allowed, while our offense ranked dead last in points scored. Our run game was abysmal and we passed over 80% of the time, which is the ONLY REASON people are celebrating Tannehill's 3900 passing yards like it was a victory in itself. Wilson threw for 600 less yards total (regular season), but he also threw more touchdowns in 180 less attempts....just think about that number for a minute. An average QB throws 30-35 times a game and Tannehill has 181 more passes than Wilson....that's like an extra 5 full games worth of throws.

At this point, Tannehill is an average NFL QB and he's still missing a lot of critical throws because of timing issues. If you compare his year to any other NFL QB on a play by play basis, he's among the least efficient in the league. Of course, someone is going to reply that it's not his fault the line was weak, but a sack doesn't count as a pass attempt. When your QB throws more than any other QB around yet still falls into the bottom third in terms of total stats, there's a serious problem.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  2. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Only partially true. When your qb is throwing that many times there is clearly a run game issue. Wilson threw for more tds, perhaps he had more clean shots and 1st downs in the red zone. I don't think anyone thinks tannehill is elite but I believe him to be better than you're giving him credit for.

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

21st in Total Defense btw. These stats aren't adjusted though so they suck.

Check again. 26th in points, 27th in Total Offense.

We passed 63% of the time. I would say you should have stopped here, but it's funny.

Why do you think that is. You could extrapolate those numbers out, but I suspect you wouldn't understand why that would be a bad idea. Context and offensive style might make a difference.

I'm not saying Tannehill is as good or better than Wilson; I still think he's the best out of that draft class.

You didn't take the time to actually check your stats, I doubt you did this. He does miss on throws though and his efficiency does need help.

Not all pressures are sacks. I don't even care to disagree with you. I just like poking holes in your supposed logic.

Now here is where I don't think you know what a total stat is. He's 10th in yards which is a total stat. He's 12th in TD's which is a total stat (tied with Palmer and Newton).

Ducken likes this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    And here's where you did exactly what I said people would do...you take one part of a stat and ignore everything else. Tannehill was 6th in pass attempts, which means that if he's an average QB, he should also be 6th in completions, total yards, TD's, and INT's as well. Again that's just to be average, because it should all balance out based on the number of attempts. After all, Jake Locker only threw 183 passes (a league low), but he also tossed 8 TD's. When you multiply it out though, he would have thrown 24 TD's in 549 attempts while Tannehill would have 24 TD's in 588 attempts. If you want to compare QB to QB, then the only way to do it is to complete the math to where one variable is equal.

So Tannehill is 6th in pass attempts, which means that if he's on par with he league, he should be 6th in completions, total yards, TD's and picks. That's not the case though-

11th in completions
    10th in total yards
    12th (tied 3-ways) TD's
    7th (tied) in INT's

Overall, he was picked off a little less than average (per attempt) but he's behind the curve in every other stat. Why? Because he's 22nd in completion percentage and 27th in yards per attempt. In other words, he has to throw a lot more than other QB's just to break even...which is why we're in the bottom five in total yards.

While it's obviously that Tannehill isn't the only problem on offense, he has to be more accurate for Miami to be competitive. I'm not trying to knock the kid and I hope someday that he shatters every record Marino ever held, but he's nowhere on pace to make that happen. Like others have said, putting up 7 total points in two must-win games speaks more to this subject than anything else; the offense as a whole needs a fairly major overhaul and Tannehill in no way deserves to be considered "safe".

5. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Because he's being asked to make more low percentage throws.

6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Thank you. He has other issues as well, but this is part of the mix.

7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Low percentage throws? You mean like 50 yard TD passes to a wide open receiver that we brought in specifically for that purpose? Or are you referring to the slant routes that he always threw behind his receiver? You guys are so blinded by wanting him to be the guy that it's like you've thrown common sense out the window. Tannehill has repeatedly missed vital throws, hundreds of times, that NFL quarterbacks have to complete accurately for the offense to work.

These aren't low percentage throws on any other team in the league, but they're low percentage for him because he's not there yet.

8. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    All qbs miss throws. Some with more regularity than others. When I'm saying low percentage I'm talking about the fact that the opposition know we will beybe throwing so the coverage is set against him. You mentioned Wilson I think, if you are a dc, do you look at Seattle and assume that this is only gonna happen one way? They have a run game, a qb whose oc allows him to run, and a passing game. We don't have two of those things. So we are easy to defend against. So the low percentages means that tannehill is forced to take hits and throw at receivers who are well covered. Yes I want tannehill to be the guy, no I can see he has areas to develop. We took him as a development project and he's been a day one starter. Sheesh. The guy only now has about the same number of games under his belt as a full college qb. I think he's performed very well given the limitations of his teammates and the system. Some other qbs may have had more success but it's likely more would have been the same or worse. I have no stats to back this up. Its just an opinion.

Ducken likes this.