1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So we lost....how many are throwing the towel in?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Sep 14, 2014.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Id offer up a 2nd round pick for Garapolo right now and pull the trigger. I dont think Belichick would do it though.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'm not going to judge the 2014 version based on 2 games, no matter the outcome. Makes no sense to compare them to past Dolphins teams any more than it would make sense to compare them to past teams of another franchise. Different coaches, different roster makeup. What the 2009 Dolphins did for example, means nothing in regards to how the 2014 team may do.

Anonymous likes this.
  3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Don't you find yourself saying that way too often?? ,,,like after EVERY game???

4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Tannehill was off on at least a dozen throws, including many of the passes that were caught. Yes, the line played badly and yes, there were a few ridiculous drops (even 2 from Hartline), but there were far too many easy tosses that missed by several feet.

The screen pass to Miller comes to mind....it was a 3-4 yard pass to the side of the field and Tannehill threw it a yard behind him. On another, he threw it over his head. These are simple, basic throws that the average HS quarterback can make, and Tannehill missed more than he made today. That's why many are so angry.

finwin likes this.
  5. vt_dolfan

Yep...its true Sceeto....cant deny that

Sceeto likes this.
  6. vt_dolfan

Dude Im sorry thats crap.....lol. EVERY QB in the NFL misses throws I could make. EVERY ONE. If you disected Andrew Luck the same way .....youd come away telling me how flawed he is. He played bad....I agree...but you make it sound like hes throwing the ball around like a left handed sissy.

he completed 63 percent of this throws today. hes not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Not true. Those are not passes most QBs miss.

8. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Belichick obviously sees him as the future QB after Brady retires, so I don't see him taking a draft pick for Garapolo.

9. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Obviously all we can judge so far are the two games which have been played in 2014. I just see that the season so far has started out like so many others seasons in recent Dolphin history. Perhaps it will end up different than the last five mediocre seasons, but I went into the season expecting more mediocrity from this team and so far they have lived up to my expectations.

I'm willing to see how the season plays out over the next 14 games, but another 8-8 season will not surprise me in the least.

10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Something no one is talking about (and I get it, the game was over anyway) but Hartline dropped a great deep pass from Tannehill that would have been a TD.

That's back to back weeks Tannehill threw a perfect deep ball that a receiver dropped in the end zone.

It's fair to blame Tannehill, but this isn't ALL on him. I'm seeing a lot of drops out there too.

dolphindebby likes this.
  11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    *Vomit*

12. MrClean

Well, after two games, you can either be 2-0, 1-1 or 0-2. So, yes, this season so far has a 33% chance of looking like many other seasons, results wise.

13. vt_dolfan

But...its so much easier to lay blame all at one persons feet, because then you dont have to actually spend time looking at the entire team. **** it..start Moore....CHAMPEENSHIP!....

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  14. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    This is true. I think there is an inordinate amount of blame on Ryan Tannehill right now when a far greater share of the blame rests on the shoulders of one JOE PHILBIN.

However, Ryan Tannehill was not part of the solution today. And that's not good enough.

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hyperbole session has begun ladies and gentlemen. Discredit the support Moore crowd by claiming we think Moore is a championship QB. Yup, it's begun.

16. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Well you could also be 1-0-1, 0-1-1, or 0-0-2, but you get the point.

17. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Instead of playing the blame game, we should be crediting Buffalo for playing a good game. They beat us out there in every phase.

Fix what needs to be fixed and go out and beat KC next week.

RevRick likes this.
  18. vt_dolfan

Exactly...they beat the piss out of us. But...instead of being tough enough to accept that...we gotta hear everyone cry and bemoan whos fault it was. We got handled....it happens to great teams. People need to back off the ledge...

RevRick likes this.
  19. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    In lieu of the Ronin's Review from today; I'm just too tired and too frustrated to cobble it together, I'll leave you all with this:

I feel like today was a vintage Dolphins letdown and it's something that's become commonplace with Joe Philbin at the helm.

2012: Miami rips off 3 straight wins after a 1-3 start culminating with a 30-9 thrashing of the Jets in New York. Miami proceeds to drop 3 straight after that including an embarrassing 37-3 thrashing at the hands of the Tennessee Titans, at home. They somehow rebound and knock off Seattle only to blow two games against New England and San Francisco to take themselves out of the playoff race. As the final spit in your eye moment they beat Jacksonville and Buffalo soundly and have a chance to finish at .500 to end the season against a Patriots and beat a division team to leave everyone feeling good...get shutout 28-0 to close the season.

2013: Coming out of the bye week after a 3-2 (should have been 4-1) start, Miami loses at home to Buffalo, whose led by Thaddeus Lewis. They blow a 17-0 lead at New England the next week, but somehow the players galvanize in the wake of the Martin-Incognito scandal and gut out a home win on a short week against the Bengals. With extra days off to prepare, Miami loses to the then winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They bounce back and beat San Diego, only to play craptacularly at the end of a half and essentially shoot their foot off in a close loss against Carolina. Something happens and they rip off 3 straight before losing back-to-back in two of the worst losses of the Philbin era against division opponents and miss the playoffs.

2014: Miami starts out by rebounding from a first half riddled by self inflicted wounds and thumps the Patriots. Miami has a letdown in week to against Buffalo. You can probably write out the rest of this story by now just as well as I can.

I just don't see evidence of anything changing. The team still comes out flat, looks disorganized, and can't consistently play well throughout the course of an entire game with any one particular phase on a consistent basis. And, to boot, Miami is 5-9 against AFC East opponents under Joe Philbin.

Draw your own conclusions, but it seems to me that the only thing Miami does consistently is be inconsistent...at just about EVERYTHING.

Griese's Glasses, gunn34 and finwin like this.
  20. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I knew Philbin wasn't getting the better of our rivals but I didn't expect to see 5-9...you can't say we're better than the Bills or anyone when our head to head record against our division rivals is the worst.

21. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think everyone realizes that the entire team and coaching staff were to blame for the loss today, just not Tannehill. I also think that the reason Tannehill is getting so much of the blame is because he just doesn't seem to be getting any better as an NFL QB.

The problems he had last year, poor pocket awareness, inaccurate passes and too slow to find his alternate receiver, seems to be no better this year. Perhaps he will improve as the season goes along, but until he drastically improves in these areas, there are going to continue to be concerns about his future as a starting QB for the Dolphins.

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Which is absolutely frustrating because you know the good parts of the team (Lazor and the Zone OL), the defense coming together under a feasible system will be scrapped by a new guy coming in. Here's a novel approach. Make Lazor the HC and stop switching things, just find a decent guy to take over in the system. It's worked under other coaches.

23. vt_dolfan

Huh...I thought we were 1-1 in the divsion this year, I must be crazy.

24. vt_dolfan

You cant say he isnt getting any better...game 2 into his first season learning an entirely new offense. You can say that at the end of the season.....fine. But two games in.....really?

RevRick likes this.
  25. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Right now you have to rate him as the worst HC in the AFC East.

I know the Dolphins have won the past two games against the Patriots, but I don't think anyone would take Philbin over Belichick as an NFL HC.

Marrone has done an excellent job of coaching the Bills, who were a terrible team when he took over as the HC after the 2012 season. He is 3-0 against Philbin as a HC.

Like him or not, Ryan has proved in his time with the Jets that he is a far better NFL HC than Philbin. Last year he took a team many people felt were the worst team in the league before the season started and led them to a second place finish in the AFC East division.

26. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Miami was 4-8 against the AFC East coming into this season under Joe Philbin. They're now 5-9.

27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

28. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I know I"m discouraged. Tanny threw not necessarily behind receivers today, but did not lead them. I think several of the sacks were on him; should have thrown the ball away or used his athleticism and scrambled away. I have been a fan and supporters of his, but after two weeks I am not so sure.

29. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The post title is how many are throwing in the towel?

Answer: Philbin.

CashInFist and PhinFan1968 like this.
  30. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    We are on pace for 8-8, I still think we tick that up a notch to finish 9-7! :lol:

31. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    So we're improving.

:D

32. vt_dolfan

9/7 could very well be a playoff spot given the up and down nature of the season so far

33. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Nah, we will lose on tie-breaker, but hold the phone...and bring on 2015 for us to take names!!! Superbowl!

34. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Not throwing in the towel...but hard to get excited about this group...and this HC. One up, one down...The Philbin Way.

35. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Just another bump on the long road of potholes. NEVER threw in the towel in over 40 years of being a fan.
    I cringe at the new(er) fans who don't get it yet, but I understand their disappointment. The most important thing I've learned over the years is to get over it ASAP and move on to the next week. That comes with age...

MikeHoncho and PhinFan1968 like this.
  36. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Do you REALLY think we'll make the playoffs this year? I'm serious...

EDIT: Although my dating website profile may say I'm 29, I'm gonna be 42 this year. I used to go to every home game when I lived in Boca Raton. This team stinks. We have a few good players. But, our coaching staff sucks and our QB sucks. That's a recipe for disaster, and a high draft pick next year...

37. vt_dolfan

Yep..I do.

Im serious.

38. MrClean

Depending on injuries, I'd say we have a reasonable chance. Definitely no reason to give up at this point.

39. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    If we make the playoffs this year I'll eat crow and admit I was wrong. Will you do the same if we don't? And not make any lame excuses as to why we didn't?

40. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Not me. One great game and one poor game. I am still encouraged by our offense, and Wallace seems to be playing better.

MikeHoncho likes this.