1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So where do we go from here with Ryan?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's struggled, but when you factor in our running game, lack of consistent blocking and lack of play-makers on O, how do you handle Ryan now that the season is essentially over? The Sparano/Ireland rejects are going to be exposed and phased out these last 6 games, as Philbin needs to determine how much more of this team needs to be blown out.

Truth be told, he was dealt a crappy hand that was masked by our early success. We know that Tannehill isn't at the level of a freak rookie that can carry the team as proven by his inability to close out both the Indy and Buffalo games. Now that we've been blown back to earth with Tannehill and his development, how do we build his confidence and give him the freedom to both roam the field and take chances, even if it results in more TO's? Do we try to establish the running game more to lesson the load off Tannehill? Do we run more hurry up?

These next 6 weeks will really impact next year for both his development and the players on the fringe. I'd guess that SS24, Long, Reggie and a few other "leaders" on this team will either step up big or continue to under-perform, which will seal their fate here in Miami. We have some lame ducks on the field and in the Philbin doghouse that may not play up to their potential under the pressure, and I'm not sure if that dynamic in the lockeroom will continue to stunt his development and ability to lead this team.

Philbin has what it takes to churn the roster and doesn't seem afraid to do so. But it may come at the expense of next season as well.. Sickening to think that we are headed towards another 2 years of mediocrity and rebuilding.

2. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Cut him he suckks

3. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I think you need to unlock the shackles the coaches have on him. I understand playing it conservative when you had the possibility of going to the playoffs, and playing reckless would be a detriment. But that possibility is now gone, so just let him air it out.

If he throws 3 picks a game, so be it. At least hopefully he'll learn. Let him run, let him throw downfield. Put speed guys out there, Thigpen and Mathews should play more to give deepball threats.

We started the season thinking this was a developmental season for Ryan, because we all thought we had zero chance to compete. Somewhere along the way circumstances made that plan change. Well, circumstances have reverted back to developmental season for Ryan. Just unlock the shackles. Let him play free.

oakelmpine and Bumrush like this.
  4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's tough right now for him. He has no true #1 WR he can rely on, no running game and a shaky O-Line. This isn't an excuse as to how he's playing, which hasn't been very good, but he's not getting any help either. It's not exactly an ideal situation for a rookie QB to be in.

You have to keep him in there though. I said before the season that if he throws an INT every other series, you gotta stick with him. You drafted this kid #8 and thought he was ready to start. You better show you have the confidence in him to stand by that decision, ESPECIALLY when you ****ed up by not surrounding him with adequate talent.

5. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Cut him loose, let him continue to learn and develop. The struggles of the offense, IMO, aren't on Tannehill. They're on the lack of talent around him. He simply has no one around him making plays.

6. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    He's playing worse than Chad Henne did his rookie year. Might have to consider the possibilty that he's not the solution

7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That was Henne's second year, actually, and it was also a playoff team that went 11-5 the year before. This team is much worse.

8. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The only thing better about that team is the O line.

9. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And pass defense, and pass rush, and running game. But year, other than that...

10. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    He isn't playing worse. Henne inherited a playoff team, Tannehill inherited a pile of crap.

Also, Tannehill is a rookie with limited starts in college and has shown flashes of brilliance.

11. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    He didn't inherit a playoff team. He started for a team that made the playoffs the previous year due mostly to schedule. Miami got to play the NFC West which was horrific, got to play all the AFC teams that finished in last place the year before, had the luxury of playing 4 west coast teams at home winning by a combined 16 points, and surprised a couple of teams with the wildcat. The Ravens in the wildcard game showed Miami was not a playoff caliber team. And Miami started 0-3 in 2009 under Penny, before Henne got his first start.

Tannehill is definitely playing as bad if not worse than Henne in 2009. Miami went 7-6 under Henne, scored 21 points or less in only 4 of 13 games started while averaging 24.4 ppg. Under Tannehill Miami is 3-6 (not counting the Jets game Tannehill started but wasn't a factor getting injured) and Miami has scored 21 points or less in 8 of 9 games and averaged 17.44 ppg...and really the 35 put on the Raiders had to do with Reggie Bush running wild.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Going to be hard to truly evaluate Tannehill until a capable GM can assemble some better talent to surround him with.

Honestly, if he continues playing as poorly as he has the last 2 games, a smart GM would draft another QB. That doesn't mean you have to cut bait with Tannehill completely. It just means it's not prudent to assume he's the answer and hedge your bet. Yes that means you forego much needed talent at other positions, but if a QB doesn't have what it takes to succeed, surrounding him with better players won't change anything. See: Chad Henne. That's why it's too bad Ireland was retained last year and it will be a crying shame if he keeps his job after this season.

Clark Kent likes this.
  13. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    There's gonna be a lot of tough decisions to be made after this season if things continue to go as they have the last three weeks. I saw on NFL Network yesterday that the Browns are basically giving Weeden the rest of the year to prove himself. Granted, he's older than Aaron Rodgers, but yeesh. Talk about a short audition.

I'm with you though, I think if things continue with Tannehill you have to at least consider the possibility he's not the guy. Personally, I would give Tannehill a little longer to prove himself than Henne, simply because of the experience factor. What you don't want, though, is a situation like the Jets have with Sanchez. They gave him more time mainly because, like Tannehill, he had limited experience in college. They're now coming to the realization that he's basically a backup, and will be blowing that up very soon.

14. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    In the grand scheme of things, Tannehill has EXCEEDED expectations. Remember, Garrard was supposed to be the answer this year with Tannehill sitting on the bench and absorbing as much possible.

Tannehill was thrust in to the starting role after barely starting in college and excelled the first quarter of the season. He was injured against the Jets, played admirably against the Colts, and has basically melted down these past two weeks, ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE TEAM.

That falls more on coaching and preparedness than anything. The team obviously took the Indy loss hard and has been unable to regroup as a single entity. Tannehill is one piece of it, but we can't ignore how he started or what he accomplished through the early part of the season.

That doesn't mean he is the long term answer.. But given his work as a whole, he very well could be.

Just my take.

Coral Reefer and PhinsRDbest like this.
  15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Honeslty, I don't agree at all. Unless the smart GM is drafting a low round quarterback. Spending another high round on a QB means not surrounding the current QB with talent or helping the defense.

Next year, I agree.

16. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm a Tannehill guy. I like him, I really do. But if I'm being honest with myself, I can't say he's exceeded expectations. Now, of course that's not ALL his fault. Had he a competent line and at least some semblance of a running game, things might be different. Who knows, he could've had a season like Matt Ryan did in 2008.

Now, this doesn't mean I'm ready to throw in the emotional towel and prepare myself for his inevitable doom, far from it. But I need to see him be more consistent in these last 6 weeks. That play where he missed Clay by 10 yards can't happen. It simply can't. The #8 pick in the draft needs to hit that throw in his sleep.

I do hope that he has more weapons next season. A rookie shouldn't be thrust into a situation like this, regardless of whether Garrard was going to be the starter initially or not.

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well, I don't think we disagree all that much. Tannehill would have to continue to play very poorly for the rest of the season for me to think a GM should draft a QB high again. If he did though, I don't think it's a wise move to throw away another season trying to develop a QB that doesn't have it. I'm not saying I don't think Tannehill has it. Just hypothetical.

We are in an era of the NFL where it's much easier to tell if a QB has it. The fact that there is a rookie QB that has instant success every year, and rookie passing marks are easily shattered year after year is no coincidence. The rules have made this a passing league. The rules make the transition from college to NFL easier for rookie QBs. You can learn a lot more about a QB in one year than you could in the past.

18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    young QB's, unless they are freaks are going to struggle.
    That said many have pointed out that Tanny is hampered more with the fact he has no number 1 WR option and arguably not even a strong #2 type.

Anyone still subscribing to the "WR talent isn't important in this offense" nonsense?

Talent is essential at any position, don't care what the scheme is.
    That whole debate was absurd.

My favorite quote was one poster knocking the WR talent issue so much he stated the Egnew would easily match the results Brandon Marshall had the previous year..... :lol: great stuff!

19. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Funny how I have stated for some time that this team has very little talent. Yet there are individuals on here, (not you), which have stated that Ireland has done a good job of providing talented player, but it was all the bad coaching which was responsible for this teams record over the past three years.

Now we have a new coaching staff and this team may actually be the worst team this organization has had in the last five years. Especially considering the fact that they are playing one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this year, and they are still two games under 500 at this time.

For Tannehill to succeed with the Dolphins, the offensive line needs to be upgraded. A true #1 Wr needs to be added to the roster and a TE who can actually catch more than 4 passes in four games, which is all Fasano has caught in the last month. The running back position also needs to be upgraded, since it appears obvious that Philbin has no desire to have Bush around after this season. Thomas is a below average RB and we have no idea if Miller will be a productive running back in the NFL or not.

So basically, all Tannehill needs for us to determine if he is a legitimate NFL QB or not, is basically a major overhaul of the players around him on offense. This overhaul is going to take a few years. So we may not know if Tannehill is the real deal or another bust, for at least another 2 or 3 years.

20. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    What is a shame is because this offense is so lacking, you can't get a great grasp on just how good Tannehill is, and that is a damn shame. When they got rid of Marshall and had no real backup plan, they doomed their new rookie QB then and there.

And Ochocinco was no backup plan, and if it was that alone should have had someone fired.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Maybe. I think Tannehill would have to play totally horrible for me to justify picking a quarterback high next season.

if Tannehill isn't good enough next season, there is a good chance Miami will have a high pick anyway.

I have seen enough of Tannehill this season to give him a 2nd and I really want a receiver, secondary or pass rusher, or hell even a linebacker high in the draft.

22. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Yea, but there are still Ireland supporters on this forum. Thankfully there appears to be less of them now than there were at the beginning of this season. Fortunately it appears some of those former supporters have finally seen the truth regarding Ireland. All we can hope now is that Ross is finally understanding that this team is going nowhere, as long as Ireland is selecting the players for this organization.

I do think that Ireland might make a good towel boy for the Dolphins, if Ross really likes him so much that he wants to keep him around.

oakelmpine likes this.
  23. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    No he isn't.

24. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    There are plenty of QBs that do well with bad talent around them. This is a league thats designed for QBs to carry teams.

25. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    All Ross needs to do is look at the stadium.

The game against the Titans was the most pathetic display of fandom I've ever seen. Half empty, no energy before the game an morgue after the Titans scored.

It will only get worse the rest of the year.

26. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Not when they have a second to throw and receivers that can't separate. Or a running game that gets stuffed every first down.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If another GM is hired in Miami, then there needs to be a new coach and new QB as well. Jeff Ireland's job should be based primarily on the QB and the head coach.

28. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Right, and Tannehill has more than a second. Go look at his INTs last night, at least 3 second each time. He actually did a great job last night buying time and climbing the pocket.

29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I have been saying that for the past two years. In fact I think if he keeps Ireland next year, there will be another five to ten thousand season ticket holders who will refuse to renew their tickets next year.
    Right now I think Ireland is the major problem with this team, because he just isn't a good talent evaluator. If Ross keeps him after this season. We will all know that the real problem with this organization is the owner. Why would anyone want to continue to put money into the pockets of an owner who is clueless. Because that is exactly what he would be shown to be if he retains Ireland after this season.

30. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    His INT's came when he was desperate, trying to force a play that wasn't there. (Actually, the first one was just an amazing play by Byrd, and made possible by Bess giving up on it)

31. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Personally I would start Moore. The kid is good and he has the faith of the players. He is also a gamer. Tannehil MAY be good down the road but right now ? at best, mediocre. If his old college coach was the not offensive co ordinator this kid would not be starting, except maybe for the Cardinals, anywhere in the NFL.

32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    There were much better options for Tannehill on both the plays. He didn't make them. He also has no business throwing to Bess with two defenders there. And I'm not even really one to pile on about INTs. I think a lot of the ones from this season weren't Tannehill's fault. But last night he definitely left a lot of throws on the field.

shula_guy likes this.
  33. Personaly I dont think you do anything with him right now. Let him continue to develop behind center. Experience is what he needs more then anything and forcing him to try to move the ball with the lack of weapons, may be a blessing for his long term development. The best thing they can do is let him work through his progressions and learn how to make something out of nothing. The time to reevaluate him will be in the offseason.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  34. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Tannehill had plenty of time last night on a lot of plays and he could not find a receiver that was open. What drives me nuts is this staff said they were going to get him out in space more, roll out etc for this game and they called MAYBE 3 plays like that. That alone slows a d front down and the kid is not half bad doing that but Sherman being pig headed the way he is did not call it a lot.

35. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the reason why tannehills struggling is the NFL has tape on the dolphins offense, and are not scared of them going to deep whatsoever, they are compressing everything. just like mayock said last night everytime tannehill goes to throw it is like throwing in the redzone. when matthews got deep and got the PI call, that helped the dolphins a bit and loosened up the defense and the dolphins went down and scored the touchdown.

36. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Ireland is responsible for providing the talent that the coach has on the team and the players the QB has around him on offense. Philbin could be the greatest coach in NFL history and Tannehill could be the next Marino. Unfortunately no would would ever get a chance to see how good they could be with Ireland being the person responsible for providing the talent or in his case, the lack of talent throughout the roster.

I have nothing against Philbin, but if it means the new GM would fire him and hire his own coach, so be it. Ireland has got to go before this team can ever be successful again. Hopefully the next GM would give Philbin a year or two to prove his ability as the Dolphins HC, but keeping Philbin as the teams HC should NOT be a reason for retaining Ireland.

oakelmpine likes this.
  37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Why does there need to be a new QB?

38. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    I agree it could take that long, and in the meantime, the defense will need a complete overhaul. Do we trust that certain someone to take on this mess, one he was largely responsible for already ?

39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It doesn't take that long. It takes one year.

40. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Not so sure that is the best way. His confidence could be permanently damaged, ala Henne.