1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So would u give Ireland one last year?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    We are 8-6. That isn't mediocre IMO. If the argument is that Jeff Ireland will be fired because of what the team's record was in past years, I don't think that is a very convincing argument. If Stephen Ross was going to fire Ireland for that, it would have already happened.

GMJohnson likes this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What exactly is the problem then? We've seen them blow 10 or more point leads vs. Pittsburgh, Carolina, Cincinnati, New England, Indianapolis. What was the common talent problem there?

That the offensive line?

3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I guess having healthy players is always better. Do I think we'd have won more games with them injury-free? Eh, maybe but probably not. Two of our higher picks are corners: a position at which we are solid due to Ireland's best sign (Grimes), another good decision (Patterson), and a former 5th-rounder who is playing really well (Carroll). It's also a position with a very steep learning curve - few rookie corners come in and supplant proven starters. It'd be nice to have seen Dallas Thomas do some stuff, but to expect a tweener 3rd rounder to come in and start right away isn't realistic.

And I don't care how many rookies the Patriots play. We beat them. It's irrelevant.

GMJohnson likes this.
  4. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    It is the single most contributing factor. The lack of attention paid to the OL this off season was sheer neglect.

5. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Sam Brenner is a UDFA that has come in and started essentially from the moment he was signed off the PS.

6. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Then how do you have enough offensive success to get up 10 or more points, then? Something has to be working How is that they've given up 40% of their sacks in the 4th quarter, and 20% in the final two minutes?

Just a coincidence? Or does Mike Sherman keep running head first into the same brick wall over and over, with seemingly no self reflection whatsoever?

7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

Brenner off PS is getting lost in the M. Thomas PS move (I know off our PS vs poached off other teams in the same week is different vibe)....but both...amazing to think about the impact.

8. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    They have success early because of scheme. They have failure late because of talent. When the opposition catches up to scheme, talent takes over. We cannot win simple one on one match ups up front consistently, and if we are in obvious passing situations, we cannot block worth a damn.

This has easily been one of the worst offensive line performances as a group I have ever seen in my several years of watching and studying football. I know that I have never seen a Miami Dolphins offensive line that is as bad as this one is. Even when you think they are playing "better", they still give up 4 sacks.

9. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Hey...maybe Im not expert when it comes to breaking down a football team.

But...there is no way you cant tell me if we had top 15 Offensive Line play...we arent talking about a first round bye in the playoffs. No question...Ireland flubbed that this past year...at least IMO.

10. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    If he's kept, my only question is what will Ireland flub up next? I suspect it will be DT. That position will suddenly go from one of strength to one of weakness if we let Randy and Paul walk and then sign 2-3 free agent OL in their stead. This is typical Jeff Ireland roster management though. Let's create a hole someone so we can fill a hole elsewhere.

11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I really think if Ross hasnt made up his mind by now......he needs help, and that help should come from Philbin. To me, its Philbin's call if Ireland is kept. Is he helping Philbin? Thats the answer of their relationship.

Right now, Philbin is helping Ireland...the Wins that have created this thread is proof of that.

But in reality, GM should have #1 job of helping the HC. So I say its Philbin's call if Ross hasnt already reached his decision.

I sure hope Ross has already made up his mind on Ireland.

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

IT it seriously bizarre. I mean, normally you'd defend a GM by saying there are only so many resource you have…

But when you are well below the spending cap, that defense goes out the window.

13. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    the Ireland butt kissers are quick to forget how bad this was playing earlier we lost to the damn Buccs and to Buffalo for Christ sakes Philbin needs to make some changes that much I am sure of. but anyone thinking that Ireland will bring in more talent next year is fooling themselves . where would we be if we lost to the Steelers and to the Pats ? we would be home during the playoffs that's where.

when you have a scandal the smart thing to do is fire the participants and clean house. Sherman and the d coordinator and oline coach must go if we want to succeed.

we need to get rid of some players and we need a bigtime running back and another tight end because Egnew isn't a playmaker .

Jeff Ireland sucks and the excusses that people make for him are pretending he is good when its clear that he isn't a good gm.

14. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Jeff Ireland does not set his own budget.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    right, the salary cap does.

GMJohnson likes this.
  16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Dawn Aponte sets the football budget.

17. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil

Who cares who we lost to? The Saints and Patriots lost to the Jets, the Broncos lost to the Chargers who we beat, etc etc. We are LEADING the wildcard race, in case you didn't know.. if we were already pretty much out of the playoff race then your point would be valid, but we're not.

What matters right now are the games going forward, what happened happened, and if we DO get to the playoffs and we DO make some noise, then it will be credit to the coaching staff, the players and the guy who got those players which is, yes, the GM.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Of course. But because of guys like Vernon, Shelby, Carroll, Wilson etc developing into solid contributors we can afford to bring the rookies along slowly. It also allows Ireland to choose the best prospects without using his picks to plug immediate holes.

19. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Wait, how exactly does that work? They manage to get up on teams by pure determination and good coaching, and somewhere along the line that runs out? At a specific time? And it's not, you know, coaches adjusting to what is being presented and the Dolphins reacting in very predictable ways?

Like, you know, like getting incredibly predictable, abandoning the run, and then having an "oh ****" type reaction and having to try and save the game, invariably by running out empty backfield sets which puts those linemen in 1v1 situations and then clearly telegraphs it to the defense?

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    IMO it's more complicated than just looking at win loss record. This team is playing their best ball in November and December. They've won 4 outta 5 with a last second loss to arguably the hottest team in the league.

In 2011 we were out of contention by mid October, last year we were out of it by December 1, this season we are in the drivers seat with 2 very winnable games to go. Not only is that steady improvement but it's coming in the midst of major coaching and personnel changes which have yet to be completed.

21. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Talent is what sustains you. When it comes down to it, you have to win the individual match ups. Scheming can only go so far towards masking deficiencies.

When teams are bad, it is mostly because of talent.

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    As frustrating as it is I kinda like the somewhat stubborn tendencies, especially on offense. We all know RT can run, do the read option etc, and give us some short relief from the rushing and pass pro issues but they are keeping him in the pocket as a nod to his long term development. Given the way Tannehill is playing lately it's hard to argue with their approach IMO.

23. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

One could state many reasons , couldn't one?

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

They were just one example. IMO, any team is better off if their rookies are able to contribute significantly in their rookie season. I accept the fact you cannot judge rookies totally on their initial season however. Regardless of the injury, I like the Jordan pick because he is a rare talent. I am not a fan of picking Taylor that early with his health issues. There were multiple corners taken in the next 30 picks who are already playing a lot and playing well. This was a deep corner draft, and no reason to take damaged goods that early.
    I was not a fan of Dallas Thomas that early, due to his coming off shoulder surgery and talent level.

dolfan22 and KB21 like this.
  25. MrClean

Same as WR in the 2012 off season. It was moronic to get rid of Marshall unless you have his replacement already on the roster or plan to address the position early in the draft. We could have had Alshon Jeffery with the Martin pick for gawd sake. :pity:

26. MrClean

She does the contracts within the parameters of the salary cap. We had a different capologist before her. The previous one went to Cleveland where she was, and then she came to Miami.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The Miami Dolphins have outright stated that she sets the football budget. She is not just someone who deals with contracts. She is in charge of the budget for all the football operations. I'm not sure why this has become such a controversial topic, its pretty clear that there is a system of checks in place to protect the franchise. The only person who has complete control and/or autonomy is Ross himself.

28. MrClean

If he was picking BPA in the 2nd and 3rd regardless of position, he did a poor job. The fact is, he didn't anticipate Carroll or Wilson improving like they did, and he drafted damaged goods at points in the draft where most GMs look for immediate contributors. It's sheer luck we can bring Taylor, D. Thomas and Davis along slowly, because they sure aren't ready for much else.

KB21 likes this.
  29. MrClean

Because of you being on your bully pulpit pronouncing that Ireland needs her permission to make any and all roster moves.

jdang307 likes this.
  30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The facts of the matter should make it uncontroversial. The Dolphins explicitly state that she controls the football operations budget. I'm not sure how that can imply that Jeff Ireland has any type of autonomy.

31. MrClean

Just like we were in 2010. Hopefully it plays out better this year.

32. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ireland has been the GM for 6 years, and yet somehow these last two games will decide his fate? Two games?

Tells you all you need to know.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

33. vt_dolfan

I heard an explanation as to why I don't see Ross firing Ireland. Ross really likes Philbin. If they hire a new GM...Ross knows the new GM will want his own coach. I can see Ross promoting Aponte to GM maybe. But if it means losing Philbin...can't see it happening.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

34. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    So bash him for his mistakes and give no credit to his success? Got it.

GMJohnson likes this.
  35. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So keep a GM that your head coach is already having some friction with? The worst possible scenario is to bring in someone to essentially be the tie breaking vote when they disagree on personnel.

36. vt_dolfan

I wasn't saying I agreed with it. Was the rationale I heard when I was listening to someone on Joe Rose. But..given your point ..maybe Dawn Aponte makes the most sense.

37. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Dawn Aponte makes very little sense in the way that nothing will change as far as our approach with the media if she is placed in charge. We will continue to be a brutish and bullish organization when it comes to the media, as she has learned from Parcells just as much as anyone else.

38. vt_dolfan

Ok..but..remove that aspect of the argument. A lot of people believe in Philbin. Ross clearly does. So..whats the solution?

39. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    He did a poor job based on what, your expert analysis? He didn't anticipate Wilson and Carroll playing well, that's a fact? Lol.

How do you know what most GMs do, is that claim based on diligent research or are you talkin outta your asss? I gotta admit its hard to debate guys who can just make ish up.

40. MrClean

Also, she doesn't have a background in personnel accrual.