1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer World Cup 2022/2026

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Claymore95, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Starting this thread to cover the World Cup in Qatar in Nov/Dec this year, where USA and England are in the same group and, I believe, play each other on Black Friday. Wales and Iran (that could be tasty against USA!) complete the other teams in the same group.

I've put 2022/2026 in the thread title as the stadiums for the 2026 World Cup in the USA/Mexico/Canada were announced today, and the Hard Rock was announced as one of the 16 stadiums to be used (11 are in the USA, 3 in Mexico, 2 in Canada).

The 2022 World Cup is the last with 32 teams, with the number of countries participating increasing to 48 for the 2026 tournament.

So, who are you supporting, and who do you think will win? The likes of Brazil and Germany will no doubt be there or thereabouts at the end, and Argentina have been playing very well recently too. I'm no fan of Argentina, but I'd quite like Messi to win it with them before he no doubt retires soon. One of the big shocks in qualifying is that current European champions, Italy, missed out and won't be there, but considering Germany beat them 5-1 a couple of days ago, that's maybe for the best!

Not such a surprise is that my team, Scotland, will again not be there. Oh well, we'd probably have melted in the desert heat of Qatar anyway!

Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    What World Cup? :shifty:

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    :laughy:
    Pretty sure you'll be back for the 2026 one!

Tone_E likes this.
  4. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Love the World Cup and all the talent and different styles of play.

I’ve always had a rooting interest for England in the World Cup, since the ‘86 Argentina game which angered me so deeply. Apoplectic. And knowing all their players from the EPL.

But I’ve also enjoyed watching great national teams like Germany and Spain. Just seeing them peak with their particular style of play, entirely different from one another, but so fantastic to watch; it’s been really fun. Never been a Brazil or Argentina fan even though I like some of their players. Nor Portugal (dislike Ronaldo though he is unquestionably an all timer). I also have a soft spot for Messi not being able to win a big trophy for his country. Which will knock him down in the eyes of some, even though there’s no doubt that he and Christiano Ronaldo are the greatest players of the last 20-30 years or so. Of course, Ronaldo doesn’t get quite the negativity since Portugal won a Euro, and has gone pretty far without as much overall talent as countries like Argentina or Brazil or Spain or Germany.

I was a bit disappointed that the US and England got into the same bracket since I know their players so well and root for both. But, even though the US has a fair amount of young talent on paper, they have just not played very well and I think they will really struggle to get out of that group. And if they do get fortunate enough to advance, I see them out immediately in the next round.

I also think England will not go very far this time around. They just don’t seem to have the continuity in their talent. Up and down. The Euro final may have been their peak for this group.

I would probably favor France again. Not a huge fan but they always show up. Brazil, obviously, with all their talent always has great potential. Don’t always come together though.

It will also be interesting to see if Belgium can finally make a great run with their greatest generation talent at the tail end of their opportunity. Although I hate man city with the deepest of passions, I love Kevin Debruyne. In my view, he’s the best player in the game right now, or was this past year when healthy. If I were picking a starting 11 from any country, he might be my first pick. Eden Hazard is not the same he once was though. Nor Lukaku. Thibaut Courtois could play a big role for them in goal. He was incredible in the champions league final against Liverpool. So that could go along way for them if he is fit and in form.

Another team I will be interested in seeing is the Netherlands. They were once always a big threat but have dropped off the past several years. It will be interesting to see if they can return to their world-class form.

Can’t wait to see it unfold.

Tone_E likes this.