1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer World Cup 2022/2026

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Claymore95, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Richarlison barely plays for Tottenham.

2. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    That probably says more about Tottenham than anything! Tbf, I know he has his detractors, but he's always turned up when I've seen him for Brazil, both at the Olympics and here.

3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Five out of six correct not surprising. But ive nailed three out of six final scores.

4. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Spain out, Morocco into quarter finals! I never watched the game, and only switched on for the penalties, which were bad from Spain. From what they said about the game, it was Spain pass-pass-passing all game, but no end product, and a good defensive display from Morocco.

That means the winner of France-England will face Morocco, Portugal or Switzerland in the semi finals. Makes the winner of that game even more of a favourite to make the final.

Paul 13 and Tone_E like this.
  5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    LMAO Spain. Keep passing. Put a ball on the airplane so you can keep passing and possessing the ball while flying home.

Did Hakimi just do the Waddle after scoring?

Claymore95 and Paul 13 like this.
  6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yup. Oh my word. Tremendous defending from Morocco. Pens were bad from Spain but the keeper did save all three. Give him credit. They will make him royalty for the rest of his life. Strange tactics from Spain. Thought Spain were going to win on pens. And that Morocco hadnt made the most of their limited chances, hadn’t done enough to go forward. Wild scenes. And the waddle just went global.

Tone_E likes this.
  7. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    It was nice to see Gavi, Pedro, Williams, and Fati on the pitch at the same time though. Olmo is good too. Great young core and hopefully more exciting than this WC's Spanish side.

Paul 13 and Claymore95 like this.
  8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Impressive playing by Portugal.

Unimpressive broadcasting by Fox.

Why have they spent 90% of their time talking about a guy who wasn't playing until the last 10 minutes?

Just a horrible attempt at journalism and just a dumbing down to those who know no other Portuguese player.

Tone_E and Paul 13 like this.
  9. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Portugal are a better team without him in it as well. He's fine to come on if you want to change things and are looking for a goal, but they have to cover for him when he starts as he's not interested in tracking back.

I don't see the coach changing his mind and starting him next game either after his replacement scores a hat-trick!

Paul 13, Tone_E and Lloyd Heilbrunn like this.
  10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    this has been a fabulous world cup.. the quarterfinals are 4 great matchups, with the headliner being France vs England. Croatia Brazil and Holland Argentina are no slouches... then it's Morocco v Portugal. I've seen a lot of world cups in my lifetime.. I can't recall four QF matches as potentially so even sided/ toss ups. With Spain going out... ah, if they had been playing Portugal, that would have solidified this quartet of matches as fantastic, and no arguing that. Can Morocco keep the magic going v Portugal? Probably not lol. You're going to have some tired legs out there on three days rest. If I had to rank the final 8 teams... and I'm talking teams here (not players)...

I might actually go Portugal as #1... They have some crazy depth on that bench.
    Brazil probably #2 because of Alisson (the best keeper in the world). he just solidifies everything and the offense can do their thing.
    France #3... Lloris is a concern, some of the defending as well (Varane is solid usually) but the rest of the team are very solid.
    England #4... defense needs to be more in tune with each other.
    Netherlands #5... the best Dutch side I've seen in a while
    Argentina #6... Otamendi is still playing CB for them, nuts
    Croatia #7... they really missed Modric once they took him off... it was all Perisic and that was it. Keeper had a massive moment in the shootout.
    Morocco #8...on paper you have to list them last of the eight, but this game aint won on paper...

Tone_E likes this.
  11. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Great list. I don't entirely agree, but only think POR is out of place. Not sure where I'd slide them in on your list though.

Paul 13 likes this.
  12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Probably a little recency bias by me on Portugal considering their thrashing of Switzerland. Not sure what to make of their Ramos. He has really exploded onto the scene the last few months with Benfica (?). And only on the national team due to Jotas injury. And a hat trick. Joao Felix though. Special player that one.

13. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah Portugal look like a young dynamic squad. Brasil and England also have plenty of young talent playing well. France are already established and probably the favorites in my opinion, but I can see any team I listed realistically winning. It has to be one of these teams, none of the others are capable in my opinion.

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah I agree... maybe Holland has an outside chance... they are on the easier side of the draw.

15. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Brasil up a goal in the second half of extra time and they attack leaving only three defenders and end up conceding the tying goal on the counter attack. Brilliant. Has to be gutting for them but they are entirely at fault.

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't understand that at all, really mind boggling trying to get the second or at least leaving so many players forward. I could understand if it's the 65th minute, but not within 5 minutes of the final whistle!!! You've made subs to see the game out... and then no lets go forward and get another one... Poor communication from the sideline to the players on that one...

That Croatian GK is an absolute legend. I feel sorry for Alisson. Felt he could have done a little better on the goal... yes it was deflected. Caught a bit flat footed. Didn't have that usual spring in his leap... probably a mixture of really not having to do much all game and it being the 117th minute (or whatever it was). Take nothing away from Croatia.. they were amazing as usual. And they've completely ****ed up my predictions. hah ,good for them. damn.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Tone_E likes this.
  17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    To add…

Tone_E likes this.
  18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Holland, channeling their inner 1994 Norway, sure made it interesting.

Total Airball?

19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Man, tough one today for Alisson and Virgil. But selfishly, glad they are coming back apparently healthy after a crazy day. What a 1st pair of QF's that was??? i really thought the Dutch would find a way to win it after tying 2-2. But they just had nothing going forward in the added 30 mins. Very disappointing really in that they come all the way back only to sit on it and be content (mostly) for PK's. The afters by both benches and teams made a mad game beyond insane lol...

could all four games be heading to PKs in the end? oh boy...

20. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    just me or does Steven Berghuis look like Josh Allen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Claymore95 and Lloyd Heilbrunn like this.
  21. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    btw, the Brazilian Ronaldo cracks me up everytime they show him now... think he ate all that the Portuguese Ronaldo didn't since he retired.

[​IMG]

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    IMO, he was the better player....

But Brazil was so stacked with talent he didn't need to do everything.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I just saw posted on Twitter, that soccer journalist Grant Wahl has suddenly died in Qatar.

Unspeakably awful.

A person that I never met but felt like I knew for years.

Condolences to his loved ones in real life.

Paul 13 likes this.
  24. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Morocco can certainly win this. Now up at HT. It seems when these cinderalla stories make a run to the QF, they tend to make the semis.

25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    So happy Ronaldo is out. Couple of other Portuguese players i really despise in Pepe, Fernanje, Silva. Its a world cup of surprises. England defeating France, would go in line with that theme. We shall see.

26. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Walking off the field to the dressing room crying to the camera, whilst all his team-mates were still on the pitch, says it all about Ronaldo. Great footballer in his time, but it's always been about me-me-me. Happy to never see him again now as he boosts his retirement fund in the Saudi football backwater.

Paul 13 likes this.
  27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Just a little nervous. If i dont make it, tell them of my greatness :lol:

Tone_E likes this.
  28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Great. We get the stupid ref. Non call on Saka foul led to France goal. Thats a shame.

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Kane ****ed it. What a shame. England better i thought. Doesn’t matter.

Tone_E likes this.
  30. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    He's had medical issues related to his weight gain.

Paul 13 likes this.
  31. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    It was a good game. I thought England should've taken the lead in the second half.

I am also against sending the same player to kick a second PK. Too many mind games. Does he go the same way, different way, is the goalie going to go the same way, just too much noise for the taker IMO.

32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well now i feel like an a

33. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Im trying to think of the other players on the pitch at the time and who should have taken it instead…. Inknow Hendo doesnt take them for LFC. Does Bellingham take them? Saka not good. Foden? Rice? Then the four defenders who probably arent good. Probably would have missed no matter who took it.

Tone_E likes this.
  34. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Yeah, looked like Kane overthought it. Lloris knew Kane liked the top left hand corner for his penalties, and Kane went for the same but tried too hard to make it perfect and high out of the reach of Lloris. Before both penalties, I thought Kane looked nervous, seemed to take a lot longer than usual to go through his routine and take them.

Tone_E likes this.
  35. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I think France might have a problem with Morocco in the semi-final, if they play at all like they did last night. Although, to be fair, their defending is the main issue they have with reckless tackles galore, and Morocco will not have as much of the ball or put as much pressure on their defence, so it might not hurt them too much.

For the sake of the fairytale story of being the first African/Arabic country to do it, I'd quite like to see Morocco get to the final...but they're also very boring to watch, so not sure I want to see it that much! Argentina/France final would be my preferred option now, with Messi finally winning the big one. Especially with Ronaldo watching on seeing him do it :chuckle:

Paul 13 likes this.
  36. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah I have a rule of thumb that as soon as the taker retouches the ball on the spot, he's going to miss. Kane proved that theory of mine wrong on his first attempt.

37. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    As average as ARG looked to me all tourney, they sure outplayed Croatia today, who looks as if their age is catching up to them a bit.

Messi final chance at a WC? Will be a historic final for the sport.

Good to see Ronaldinho in the crowd today. Him and Marcelo are my favorite non-Italian players.

Paul 13 likes this.
  38. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Since Argentina is one of those teams I always root against, here's to Messi getting shut out in his final chance....

Paul 13 likes this.
  39. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm rooting for Morocco, and then Argentina, because I really don't like the French and root against them against pretty much all but one or two opponents.

Paul 13 likes this.
  40. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    My number one team is the US. Then, in this order, it's England, Germany, and the Ukraine based upon ancestral links.

I always root against Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, and Italy (no offense).

Paul 13 and Tone_E like this.