1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socom Question

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by High Definition, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    OK, so we all know that Socom is currently scheduled for its next-gen debut in September 2008 with Socom: Confrontation. Well, I am a guy who only played Madden online on PS2. My first online shooter experience came with Gears & Resistance on 360 & PS3. I was actually going to skip Socom since Resistance 2 comes out in November 2008. However, everyone has talked up Socom as the "God of online gaming" - is that so? I mean, has it really been that good? I'm curious to see how active it's going to be online.

For all of you Socom players of the past, sell me on the franchise if you can. Thanks. :up:

2. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I can Guarantee you it will be EXTREMELY active.

I was a hardcore SOCOM 2 player, literally played just about everyday for quite awhile.

Socom 3 and the one after that were good too but not quite up there with 2 IMO.

I will definitely be picking the new one up.

3. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Thanks for the input. I'll probably pick it up.

4. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    SOCOM II was the best game ever. Simple and sweet.

SOCOM III, they tried to expand it and make it bigger with more features and just totally killed the game.

They have to keep it simple and sweet, but they won't. If I ever bought a PS3 it would have been for a SOCOM game but I just have no faith in it.

5. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    :up: Right there with you on all points.

Read this interview, it might change your mind on the issue.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/874/874021p1.html

6. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I'm already getting SOCOM fever, but it's still too far away!

SOCOM 2 was easily pegged as my all time favorite PS2 title. Stellar action but served up in full tactical dressing-it is very realistic, but not anal-realistic(America's Army).

I will say that if you have never gotten into SOCOM before, it is a little different control wise at first. Once you get the hang of it though it feels perfect.

No comment about SOCOM 3, other than how much of a bad direction it was for the series. Thankfully the developers saw this as well, and addressed this issue with confrontations. Combat is going to be more "localized" again ala SOCOM2, so there is no need for vehicles and ridiculously over-sized maps which made S3 far too convoluted.