1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some interesting rule proposals

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Amend Article XVII, Section 17.3 (Active/Inactive Lists)
    • The Redskins are proposing an increase in the number of Active List players for regular season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday (excluding the opening weekend of the season) and for games played in another country from 45 to 49 players per club. They cite player safety for this proposal.
    • Currently, one hour and 30 minutes prior to kickoff, each club is required to establish its 45-player active list for a game by notifying the officials of its Inactive List. Teams playing on Thursday or Saturdays – or playing in another country – often are at a disadvantage because their players are given less time to recover and/or the team has less time to sign additional players to the roster.

- Amend Article XVII, Section 17.1 (F) (Cutdowns and Player Limits)

• As it stands now, teams are required to cut down their training camp rosters from 90 players to 75 on the Tuesday after their third preseason weekend, and then cut again from 75 to 53 players on the Saturday of the fourth preseason weekend. The Redskins are proposing eliminating the cut down to 75 players altogether, giving teams more available players throughout the preseason. The Redskins cited “player safety and player development” for this bylaw proposal.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    yea, I never understood this cut.

3. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    I agree with with the first rule change proposal. The second one is not necessary in my opinion.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

4. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    For the first one. Why is thefe an inactive list at all?
    I've never understood it. If 53 players are drawing a salary, why not have all 53 available to play?

The cut down rule I understand. It gives a player who isn't going to make it on Team A an opportunity to find a job on Team B. So I'm all for keeping it.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'm all for expanded rosters.

Especially with the league talking rule changes for more player ejections too for unsafe hits, and more focus on benching guys while you evaluate them for concussions.

If you're going to start tossing guys at the refs discretion (another proposed new rule change) and your got guys getting hurt. You're going to need more bodies.

More bodies available will probably make guys who are hurt potentially less willing to play hurt. It will also create situations where guys won't be out there playing hurt because there's nobody else to suit up who's deemed "active".

It's stupid. Just expand it already.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk... ignore the typos!

6. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    The cut down rule is like Pauly said, these guys need a chance to get a job elsewhere, the NFLPA will never go for it, and rightfully so, it's better for the team but at the expense of the players.

The 45 man roster? Who cares really, bottom of the roster or injured players, either way, guys that aren't playing. 45 is plenty of players to finish a game, I don't see this as much of an issue, leave it, change it, who cares, it won't have any impact on teams.

Also, as a side note, coaches use the inactive status as a tool, see Jayjay, so it would be taking a tool out of the tool box, granted it's a small tool, but it's always best to have the right tool for the job.