Some non emotional based thoughts on WR and our 2012 draft/FA (including Jon Martin)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ToddPhin, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No it's not. You can count the number of first downs you'd gain on one hand equaling them out.

2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The answer is obvious, so I doubt they will bother. Besides, discussing Jeff Ireland's fate is what drives the ratings/page views.

3. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Brandon Marshall cannot co-exist with another wide receiver. Green Bay basically manages their snap count and offense around not having someone dominate snap count.

Bess and Hartline would very easily beat out James Jones, Donald Driver, and Tori Gurley at this point.

4. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Better late than never :up:.

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    GB rotates their guys to a) keep them fresh and b) create potential matchup problems. Because they have well rounded group they can do this without sacrificing much in terms of talent when their top guys go out. OTOH we have marginal talent at the top and basically nothing. Moore-Matthews-Armstrong-Gaffney = not NFL players.

If you're arguing that our #1 and #2 guys would beat out GB's #4-5-6's then I dont understand why you wouldnt just agree with the OP and move on.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    That probably isn't the case but if it is, it's more on Tannehill rather than the receivers.

7. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Is it emotional yet?

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    4.6% more productivity wins 2 more ball games.

And, as with phinsational's Falcons analogy, the problem is not rate, it is number of trips, this is one way statistics can be deceiving.

We've seen this for 3 yrs, the same foot snipering but then the player will make a play and all is right with the world. This approach has to change or we will continue to be mediocre.

Think about Dan Carpenter for example, he's been fine now, earlier in the year he misses those FG tries and we lose both games, statistically he is probably fine now, reality is he probably should be replaced to make up the 5% gap we have in performance.

9. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Brian Hartline producing 4.6% more first downs is five first downs. That doesn't win two games if you put them in the best possible spots.

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    even if he did suck, he'd suck significantly less than Bess & Hartline inside the RZ and anytime the ball is in his hands. Not to mention his drops are down a great deal.

TDs shouldn't count as targets that take away from 1st down percentage.
    due to circumstance, not preference.

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd hope Hartline would beat out the soon to be 38 Driver for the 5th/6th spot and Gurley (since he plays for the Chargers).
    At $2.3-2.6 million for a #5 receiver, Bess would've been cut considering he doesn't embody their mold of receiver.

Hartline would not beat out James Jones. They don't like players who are allergic to the redzone, endzone, and making plays with the ball in his hands.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It' merely the percentage, it is also the number of opportunities.

5%, across the team, as we see during a year has a great deal to do with why we rarely win.

A missed block here, missed FG there, dropped punt snap, that 1 in 20 chance happens far to often for this roster to overcome.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    nobody in need or your services, doc, so please stop soliciting. :shifty:

14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    when did Hartline having a few more first downs (despite a lower 1st down %) become more important than Jones's 8 more TDs? If course Hartline will have more 1st downs. We only have 2 receivers.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO it is folly to think that transferring a player means you transfer his stats with him. Part of Jones' production is the cast around him. Rodgers is a better QB than RT. You have a QB and group of WRs with years in the same system together. That contributes to having better timing with each other and making more of the same read decisions during routes. I like James Jones and was in favor of adding him, but I don't necessarily believe that he would have had 8 or 9 TDs here. I don't even believe that he would have been over Hartline on the depth chart. My guess is that he and Hartline would have been co-#1s or co-#2s (whatever you want to call it). I was in favor of adding Jones b/c I think that Philbin wants to have that kind of line-up. But I'm not sure if Philbin would have wanted Jones specifically. Jones has been better this year in terms of drops and route consistency, but he was pretty bad in those two areas when Philbin was there. Philbin seems to place much more emphasis on avoiding errors than on big plays (see Reggie Bush). My guess is that if if Ireland had asked Philbin about adding Jones before the season that it is very likely that Philbin would have given a less than ringing endorsement.

16. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    [video=youtube;yEMGf74IpQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEMGf74IpQk[/video]

Jeff Ireland knows the WR situation is a problem. It's on video. Why are we acting like it's not a problem?

PS - This is before Chad Johnson was arrested and released. So it's even worse now that that happened and Nannee turned out to be, well, Nannee

17. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Because they're not the same thing, and we've already pretty well quantified and qualified Hartline and Jones red zone performances.

He almost certainly wasn't saying this about Bess or Hartline.

18. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I never said he was talking about either of those guys.

But he was talking about the unit as a whole. So let's stop pretending like this wasn't a large problem the day Brandon Marshall was traded. And it's a problem that was never fixed. And the attempts to fix it weren't really good enough.

Jeff Ireland acknowledges this.