1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of my thoughts about the draft...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by PhinsPhan122, Jan 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
  2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    You refer to Chris Long when talking about the offensive line.

Aqib Talib is a cover 2 corner. He absolutely WILL NOT be a Dolphins unless Miami makes a radical change of philosophy. He doesn't have the speed to play man. And his tackling overall is poor, another Parcells no-no.

And James Hardy? After attacking his wife and son, do you think that fits Parcells' no thugs or hoodlums policy?

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    James Hardy did what?!?!

4. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I have no knowledge of the James Hardy incident, and thanks for the heads up on confusing the Longs, I will change that.

5. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

He was arrested in May but the charges were dropped after the girlfriend wouldn't prosecute, but the police were called to ther apartment and she was found out in the street, her shirt ripped off, bleeding, with bite marks on her neck and said that Hardy had attacked her and their son during a "domestic dispute". He was also suspended for 2 games for unrelated personal issues at Indiana.

6. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Boomer how do you feel about Marcus Monk as a possible mid to late round wr with size?

7. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Good to see people acknowledging that we need size in our WR corps. Something I've been preaching for some time. With regards to Hardy, it was one incident and there's no repeat occurrence (yet) to suggest that this was nothing more than an anomaly. What the personal issues are though, who knows? Maybe he parked his car in the coach's spot? That said, I actually prefer Adarius Bowman over Hardy.

8. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    You're right. To our knowledge he only assaulted his girlfriend and 1 year old son one time.

To me, that's one time too many and he should be off our draft board (which he will be if Parcells sticks to what he said in his presser).

mmikel30 likes this.
  9. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Good kid, really bright, struggled this year, had the knee injury, got a 3rd round grade last year, but wuill probably go in R5. Speed issues would concern me, but he's a hard worker with good hands who deserves a look.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Regan......wake up mate. You don't get suspended for 2 games for parking in the coaches spot and attacking your girlfriend and one year old son??????????? One year old son???

Give me a break.

Motion likes this.
  11. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I like Adarius Bowman as well.

12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Malcolm Kelly is the #1 WR in this draft.

13. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey Boom, who do you think has the best hands in this years class, regardless of speed, off the field issues, etc?

14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    One incident?????? Are you seriously trying to say he should get a pass because he only attacked his girlfriend and 1 yr old son ONCE???? Something like that points to a much greater issue, believe me. That is much, much more than some solitary moment of weakness.
    Sorry but we don't need the guy.

15. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Hardy's hands are special.

16. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Wake up? Tell that to Indiana's coach. I thought he was suspended for 2 games in a "personal issues" incident unrelated to that attack. That suspension had nothing to do with it. And even then, he's changed. His coach has even noted this.

"We appreciate everything James has contributed to Indiana University," coach Bill Lynch said. "It has been amazing watching him grow not only as a football player, but also as a man."

http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/NFLdraft/2007/12/scouts_want_to_know_can_he_be.html

So once a felon, always a felon? Doesn't work like that all the time. I believe you get a chance to reform yourself. And so far, he has.

If it didn't happen again, then yes, only one incident. From what my friends at IU have told me, he's been squeaky clean this year.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You're missing the point.

A 2 game suspension, unrelated to the beat down of his girlfriend and kid, would have been handed out for more than parking in the coaches spot.

18. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    You just don't get it. Let some other team give him a second chance, instead let's spend our draft picks on players that don't have a history that includes a father serving 10 years in prison for drug dealing and a "one time incident" where the guy decides to beat up a woman and his own 1 year old son.

You know, Rae Carruth had a "one time incident" too. I hear he's reformed himself in prison, should we take a look when he gets let out?

19. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Sorry to hear you say that. I was still holding out hope he'd somehow slide to us in the 2nd (if we don't address WR in FA or via trade). Here's to hoping he runs a terrible 40.

20. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Was there any proof that Hardy actually did anything or was it a he said she said, anything could have happened for all we know someone else "attacked" them. Another thing is every team in the league has a player with character issues it is impossible to have 53 players on a team and not have one who has character problems.

21. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Has Hardy gotten into trouble this season? No. Does his own coach feel that he's currently a troublemaker? No. In fact, he applauds how much Hardy's improved as a person. If a guy is reformed and has shown for a whole year that he is clean and his very own coach considers him reformed, isn't that enough? Or are we a group that forever condemns someone with no chance of reform for 2 unrelated, isolated, and questionable incidents in the past. If Hardy becomes a repeat offender, then fine he may be unredeemable. But right now, he's been clean this past season and that's a good start.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  22. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Here's a good article on Hardy: http://alumni.indiana.edu/publications/hoosierHappenings/2007_12.pdf

Perhaps there was more to the story, but isn't it often the case that a woman who has been abused doesn't want the cops to take her man away (despite calling the cops in the first place) and later changes her story to say it was mainly verbal (despite the red marks and torn clothing)? There's enough talent in this draft that Hardy's not worth the possible character risk.

Boomer likes this.
  23. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Why roll the character dice on this guy when there's quite a few talented WRs with second/third round grades in this year's draft that don't have any character issues? Yeah, he hasn't had any incidents lately, but there's a lot of guys that haven't had any incidents ever. Why not draft them?

24. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'm not. I'm an Adarius Bowman supporter. But if all the top WR's are taken and Hardy is the only big WR left, then why not?

25. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    By the way, remember when we drafted a guy named Cecil Collins and there were numerous articles about how he'd turned his life around? How'd that draft pick work out for us? How about when we picked up Underwood and he went nuts? What about that Ricky guy that keeps turning his life around, before finding the pipe again?

I hope Hardy has turned the page and won't have any incidents going forward, but I'd let another team take a chance on that while we take a guy with similar talent and no off the field problems. According to Parcells' statements and his history with other teams, I think he thinks the same way...

26. TimeGap

TimeGap New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I think DJ Hall has some good hands.

27. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Parcells had Lawrence Taylor, hardly a saint. Also drafted Keyshawn Johnson, who hasn't exactly been a team-first guy. Jamal Lewis was in trouble and that didn't stop Cleveland from getting him and teams are showing interest in him. I don't think it's easy to find a 6'7 WR with soft hands and decent speed in the draft. If hypothetically a team like New England takes Hardy and he turns into Moss II (himself had some character issues like a lot of Patriots and ex-Patriots), we'd all be hopping mad. If Belichick can redeem players, why not Parcells or whoever's coaching (Belichick was working under Parcells in fact)?

28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He got a lower than expected grade, but I don't see him lasting till 32.

29. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Other than her ripped shirt, her blood, her cuts, her bite marks and her bruises, no there was no proof.

I'd imagine she did it to herself.

And then got her son to beat on himself.

30. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    LT was a Giant before Parcells was coach. Keyshawn never hit a woman or his child. What does Jamal Lewis have to do with Parcells? Did Randy Moss ever hit a woman or child?

Sure, taking bad character guys off your draft board may mean you miss out on a few that actually do turn it around. But you're going to avoid a lot more headaches and mistakes by passing on turds then you'll ever strike gold on 'em. For every success story like an Irving Fryar, there's a Cecil Collins, Demetrius Underwood, Lawrence Phillips, Ricky Williams, Charles Jordon, Gene Atkins, Sammy Smith, Jon Denton, etc. Miami's had a recent history full of giving players their "2nd chance" and where has that gotten us?

sgtphin likes this.
  31. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm thinking WR will most likely be addressed either in FA or in the mid/later rounds in this draft. At the top of the second and the 2nd/3rd roundabout there will be tackles, linebackers, cornerbacks, and tight ends that I think we will find more interesting than wr. I would be interested in Limas Sweed, but the only spot we could take him would be at the top of the 2nd and I think we would take a Fred Davis, Rogers Cromartie, or Gosder Cherilus over him.

32. Canes_Fan_83

Canes_Fan_83 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    uh, he hit a female police officer with his car.

33. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, he did. On purpose and maliciously no less.

34. Canes_Fan_83

Canes_Fan_83 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    If I remember right he was "trying to move her out of the way"

Moss is a d-bag, great WR when he's 16-0, bad one when he's 1-15 (Dolphins).

But we should have drafted him instead of who? John Avery?!?!

35. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    He was trying to drive on a closed street. The police officer was stationed there to keep cars from driving down it. She stepped in front of his car and blew her whistle to let him know to move on. Randy then reved his car to kind of saym "Hey get out of my way." The police officer repeated blowing the whistle so he revved his car again, but this time the grill of the car hit her legs and the police officer fell face down onto the hood breaking her nose.

I remember the report from the news when it happened. Basically Randy felt that a police officer didn't have the authority to tell the high and mighty Moss what to do.

36. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    So attacking your wife and kids is O.K.

I've been pissed at my wife and kids but I never beat 'em up, bit them or scratched them.

I take it that you don't have kids yourself? 'Cause if you did the comment you just made makes me wonder if you truly understand priorities.

37. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Moss is coming to the end of his career, and whether he wins a SB or not, he will never be valued as a great player. He is a good player, but he will never be reveared, or respected for anything outside of 2 chalk lines.

Sad to see ones life defined by a child's game.

38. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    No it's not okay. You can stop making me out to be some kind of monster. But I think it's also not okay to judge a guy for committing one misdeed when he hasn't done that again and has atoned for it. If we're the kind of people who never forgive, that's also one messed up thing.

39. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You know what...I don't have to forgive anything (since I am in no way involved in the mess.) However even if I were...I don't have to forgive a thing. A guy that beats up his wife and kid to me? His character has been revealed. I don't believe in miracle rehabilitation.

40. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Here's a lighter analogy. If an alcoholic goes through the process of AA, all that, hasn't relapsed, and hasn't touched a drop in a long time. Do we still consider him an alcoholic?