1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some PFW Insight

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2007/whispers112407.htm

Keep an eye on Steelers RB Willie Parker’s workload in the weeks to come. Parker really struggled vs. the Jets in Week 11, gaining only 52 yards on 21 carries, and there are whispers that a season of heavy work is starting to wear on him. Entering the Week 12 game vs. Miami Monday night, Parker was on pace for a career-high 373 carries.

Dolphins WR-RS Ted Ginn Jr. is finally starting to translate his game-breaking potential into production. His 87-yard Week 11 punt-return touchdown vs. the Eagles was seen as a sign of things to come, and we hear more teams will start kicking away from the rookie. With the Dolphins’ offense lacking punch, taking away Ginn on special teams and offense will become objective No. 1 for future Dolphins opponents.

The early scouting report on Miami’s newly installed rookie QB John Beck is that his accuracy needs a lot of work and he lacks touch on the short-to-intermediate throws — he tends to fire passes to his receivers when it’s unnecessary to do so. On the plus side, he has very good pocket awareness for a rookie, much better than predecessor Cleo Lemon has.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
    Celtkin likes this.
  2. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This is kind of silly to me. It was his first start so what kind of scouting report can you really get? Yes, he misfired a good amount and lazered too many in there, but that could be a result of nerves and adrenaline seeing his first action. If it continues into the next few games then we can start to worry. The part about pocket awareness is something legit though because while things like touch and accuracy are expected to be off early in his action pocket awareness isn't expected to be there either. Before there can be any kind of real scouting report though the guy needs to play in at least three games.

3. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    yeah i agree, very silly to have a one game scouting report and assume thats how hes going to be...

he obviously had some jitters and he showed in college that he has tremendous touch and accuracy... i think he'll progress pretty quickly and correct these misakes and begin to play well sooner rather than later...

4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    to credit the report, they did say it was an EARLY scouting report. They didnt jump to any conclusions, only stated what was seen so far. Its seemed pretty accurate to be. The only dispute, IMO, seems to be in the personal interpretation of the authors intensions.

5. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, but calling it any kind of scouting report seems to imply tendencies. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I wouldn't make a scouting report after a guys first game. If I had to say something about it maybe I'd call it early impressions, or first game summary. I do think it was an accurate assessment of his performance, but I don't think it tells us much.

6. MiamiMan147

MiamiMan147 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Nothing from Beck's college career suggest that he has accuracy issues as bad as what we saw last week. It was nerves, IMHO. Nothing more.

7. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Isnt it at least a little bit funny that WE, I am sure I do it too, tend to discount the negative but put some value in the positive things that are said about OUR TEAM or OUR PLAYERS, when it comes from outside people. Nothing but pure homerism from most of US. I like it.

8. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    You know I thought about that when I made my comments that I was accepting the praise and rejecting the criticism, but the truth is all three aspects are not supposed to come right away, so to have one of them (pocket awareness) in your first game actually can be taken as a positive while the other two can legitimately be discounted as nerves. Don't get me wrong I am very often guilty of homerism, but I'm not sure that is the case in this instance.