1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some thoughts on the washington game.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 13, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Just win baby.

Juice/Rambo was the MVP of the game obviously, officially a great football player, its hard to describe him at this point without sounding cliche, an emotional hurricane, a great leader, a fighter, he had his doubters who said they didnt see any more ceiling, to that I say, Ill let you put his overall game into perspective..

At least we established Jordan Cameron in this game on offense..This dude is fast..can catch, something n tape for future coordinators to worry about, a real plus matchup..'

Rishard Matthews had a nice strong game, lets start him next week, there's an emotional intensity to his game I think we need..

We need to find as much of that as possible quite honestly.

speaking of that, I think we should immediately promote Jonas Gray to the practice squad, not because lamichael james plays real games with fear and hesiation, like he did in frisco, and our preseason, but because Gray has an emotional intensity that this team needs..badly..Ive seen him play with some anger, lets give him a shot.

I did not focus at all on the oline, but will after the rewatch and post.

I'll tell ya why I'm frustrated with Lazor, because he doesn't establish ryans athleticism early in the game thru scheme, theres nothing but sittin in the pocket for a whole half..How many times did we talk about that last year, that when you get him running early he seems to play with more rhythm, no read options in the first half, no rollouts..shame on him for not using the entire skillset to threaten the defense early..

i didnt like the Ryan played qb today, some of the weaknesses showed up, didn't see good touch, didn't run once on his own accord, and showed some tunnel vision..like last year im sure he will improve, cause that was a poor performance..telegraphed batted balls, had close ints on inaccurate throws, no improv game today..

Establish his athleticism early..please

Im ready to roll with Vigil...Misi played well, and id like to see the youngster next to him making some instinctive plays and be a sure tackler..im gonna isolate Sheppherd on the rewatch just to see if the rookie can ugrade there this year.

I keep wishing for an angry team, maybe this is One step closer while still getting the win.

If Jamar Taylor plays the ball instead of the man he has a pick 6 early, gotta great jump, instead he got that pass int..The combo of he and Mccain is better than any combo we had last year at the #2 and nickel.

Reshad played the best on defense, their only TD came on him stumbling..he'll correct that footwork..

Grimes looks spry to me at 32, planting the backfoot like that and exploding into covering that much ground was cool..and should set some minds at ease.

So basically Sims fall knocked himself out..damn. the throw wasnt a natural release..looked awkward, I know he struggles with touch throws but id like to check to see if that much loft was required.

on the road in the first game is not easy, i didnt expect a blowout, thought cousins would spark the team, but would of liked to have seen more from our qb and defensive line, maybe the d-line needs to play with more discipline instead of just trying to penetrate and make plays..

Looks like we still miss Delmas and his intensity, not sure how we won that game, washington making a bunch of unforced errors sounds likely..

I wonder how philbin addresses the team after that, does h get pissed at them and tell them the performance isnt acceptable or does he pat the for hanging in there, im not sure of the right approach, but I think honesty would be the way to go.

1 and 0 on the road...lets play better, coach better, and get to 2 and 0.

firedan, Hiruma78, cuchulainn and 8 others like this.
  2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That DL should be embarrassed, and turn that into some motivation for next week. If they can do what we believe they can, Bortles can't beat us by himself. Our secondary should be good enough (as they were last year) to take advantage of his miscues.

You're right...there's PLENTY of ammunition for some pissed-off this week...win or not. RT needs to settle in and get back to what he can do...today wasn't impressive overall.

dolphin25 and Undisputed like this.
  3. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    Been reading alot of posts on here since game ended looking for a place to get in.

First... I'm not here to bash Ryan. One game, on the road. That's all. So i have that perspective. Also one game doesn't undo all the progress I thought I saw from him during preseason and practice reports. I am optimistic.

Today unfortunately was alot more of the same old Ryan Tannehill. He plays in a way that makes the people who think he isn't good enough dig their heels in on that position. He also makes enough plays that glass half full among us keep the faith.

Decisions/indecisions. Plays you make vs Plays you leave on the floor.

Tannehill had a ball over the middle batted at the line early in the game that fell among four Redskins. Easily could have been picked.
    He got away with a throw to the corner of the end zone for Landry where was he was totally blanketed were it not for Landry's effort may have been pick two.
    The throw to Jennings on the Sideline should have been picked.
    Same on the throw to Stills which I think was in the Red Zone when we were driving.

Yes, Some want to say coulda woulda shoulda and they weren't picked so move on. But in the assessment of the performance the Nuance matters. Those were terrible throws that if only half of them are picked off we unquestionably lost that game.

Add to that the wide open plays he flat out missed. Lazor had a rough game.. But he put Ryan in position to make two great plays. One throw he led Dion Sims to his own demise. On the other throw he has Stills wide open deep in Redskins territory and throws him out of bounds.

That six terrible throws now when you consider the near interceptions.

Finally, the terrible decision to take the sack and ruin our drive after the Landry sweep gets us down inside the five.

I don't expect Ryan to win us games single handedly. I also don't think he loses us alot of games singlehandedly.

But when it comes down to it there are going to be five to ten plays in each game where I want to see him take that next step and be the guy who can influence the game at pivotal moments.

Today he fell way way short in that department and to say otherwise is disingenuous.

4. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    The only thing that Reshad Jones does at an above-average level is tackling. He's a ferocious tackler and he'll make some stand-out plays that impress you but he's weak in coverage now and always has been. He's been here for awhile and he's never been good matched up on a TE. I hate to say this but Reshad Jones is not nearly the elite player he's made out to be. He's not Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, etc.

I like the dude, but this secondary wouldn't be such a huge weakness if he was actually elite in coverage, which is what the team is really lacking right now--a safety that is good in coverage. Once the LBs are improved, Reshad Jones tremendous tackling will be less apparent.

At this point, we're lucky to have him because he does a good job of bailing out the LBs who are lousy but once he has to fall back into coverage, he's average.

The guys who surprised me were Landry and Matthews--both WRs were great. Landry won the game and he's THE MAN, but Matthews really flashed as well. Cameron is a MAJOR weapon and we saw some of what he can do for us. Let's hope the offense doesn't forget about him for the next 2 games as was the case with Clay.

I was disappointed by the D-line and the LBs as a whole. There is no excuse for allowing Washington to run the ball down your throat for the entire 1st half. That's sad. Obviously the addition of 1 elite player and some decent bodies doesn't fix the unit. The LBs will probably play badly this year and that position (maybe MLB) will need to be addressed seriously in the draft.

To be honest, I think Philbin, Coyle and Lazor all came away from this win looking bad. The team looked unprepared and many of the plays called on both sides seemed questionable. The coach's may very well be the weakest part of this team. I think the roster is good. I'm not sure the coaches do anything for the talent that is there.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  5. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    As for the rest of your thoughts...

Def line has to be able to elevate the rest of this entire defense. Reshad had himself a game in spite of the one slip in the end zone. Grimes had himself a hell of a game.

I disagree with you on the second corner. I think Cousins went after mccain and taylor over and over as game progressed and largely got whatever he wanted there. We got torched by yet another tight end and our LB's couldn't tackle anyone.

Ultimately tho we knew those were going to be our weak spots.

This team needs to stuff run up front and create a ferocious pass rush with four. That will make those LB's and offside corners better. That D line did not produce to that level today and this defense has too much invested in that front to be dominant as a unit of the DL isn't dominant and setting the pace.

6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jones is a very good tackler but that isn't the only aspect he is better than average at . He isn't a plus in coverage but he is a productive force going forward . He anticipates well and has good instincts as an in the box S . Like other positions , his value and positives would be more if he was paired with or had a very good to elite player beside him , there are few near perfect players.

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That route on the touchdown pass to Mathews was a thing of beauty.

8. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Coulda woulda shoulda......

why hey isn't anyone saying anything about how,if Mathews catches that gimme pass they wouldn't have had the fumble on the next play?

or is this board only abou bashing tannehill and his "near" interceptions

9. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Who was "bashing"?

I stated clearly that I am optimistic.

And yes, he had some drops. But last I checked no one is expecting the Rishard Matthews leap in progress to be what takes a talented roster over the top.

Ryan however is going to have to take a leap in order for us to become true contenders.

Did his performance today indicate a great stride? The dude played a 4 win team from a year ago with no great defensive prospects and couldn't generate much of anything.

All his fault no. But you can't look at that performance and be encouraged.

Maybe not discouraged either. But he was not an asset, he was not a difference maker. He didn't influence the game in almost any way other in nearly very negative ones.

No need to be sensitive about that. Just call it straight up.

dolphin25 and djphinfan like this.
  10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

[video=youtube;bvG0eYcXLeY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvG0eYcXLeY[/video]

right?

Undisputed likes this.
  11. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    here is the thing about ryan's game today.. Think of the big issues people had with him as a qb..

not great in terms of pocket awareness.

ypa is really low.

doesn't make alot of plays with his legs when he is clearly athletic

touch passes and feel for the game.

In none of those parts of the game today did he do anything that would allay those concerns from a year ago.

Just one game. Reasons for optimism remain.

But his performance today... Dud.

dolphin25 and djphinfan like this.
  12. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think Suh's post game press conference is all you need to know. He says they need to play better, faster, execute better. Etc and he wasnt talking about just his side of the game.

We played very average and we still won... The good news is we can only get better.. I hope.. Theres too much talent on offense, no excuse to not have at least 24 pts..

13. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    The bashing thing wasn't just about this thread. But if you haven't seen the bashing then you must not have read anything else here before you posted.

No I don't think he played great today, I don't think he was as bad as most of you would have it seem. He made some poor throws. Made some really good ones. But let's put this in perspective.
    the offense had what...22 minutes all game? Hard to get a lot going with that and they still were able to put some solid drives together.
    but with the skins dominating the time of possession(surely we can't blame 15 play drives on tannehill now can we?) it's harder to get a chance to get something going.
    so in that small amount of time we still saw some good drives. A 4th and 1 we couldn't convert that could have been points
    a dropped Mathews first down in the redzone that ultimately led to a fumble which could have been points.

the bad throws to sims and stills were bad...but considering they were both outside the pocket and on the run, you can't always count on those anyway.

perspective...unbiased analysis, I think some of you got those biased blinders on that make it so you can't see any positive from him(not you specifically)

there was a lot of bad QB play today in the NFL. I wouldn't lump rt in that same pile.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I watched three redskins snaps where the line backers were talking to each other as the ball was snapped, making them a step slow to read and react.

15. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    you're making me out to be a biased person. I am not. I am rooting for him like crazy.

I saw from him alot more of the same.

And that is a hell of a lot better than alot of other teams have.

Yea he made some good throws. But they're all the same throws he has always been good at. Digs, outs, slants. All those stick, rhythm throws. We know he can make those throws.

What I was looking for today was MORE. I didn't see more today. I may see more later on. But today I didn't see it.

Yea some people are bashing him on here. And alot of others on here are defending him like crazy as you are.

What I want to see is him play at a level where we can all agree that he is adding weapons to his arsenal. I want him to defang the criticisms i levy at times.

That's what I think alot of us are waiting for. At least the unbiased ones. I know unfortunately alot of people want to see him fail so they can say they knew he sucked all along.

I'm not one of those people.

dolphin25, djphinfan and cdnfinfan like this.
  16. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    this clearly happens during the grimes INT. Misi's entire head is turned as he's talking to Jenkins when the ball is snapped. http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/N...3_bp_MIA_grimes_interception_292539_3200k.mp4

EDIT: also, why does Grimes jump at all? This should have been such an easy pick 6...

dolphin25, Springveldt and padre31 like this.
  17. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I just want ppl to look at his play objectively and use some sense from a football standpoint(not aiming at you)

22 minutes on offense, and not because they weren't moving the ball, I mean in 22 minutes they had almost as many first downs. It's hard to get things going with no effective running game(until the end) and with the skins making the long drives keeping the offense on the bench.

keeping all this in perspective and realizing that we are the road team, which basically had the home team game planning for this game for the last month or so I think we did ok. We left a lot of points out there. And we certainly could have played better on both sides. But I'll take it.

rt knows he needs to step up. As does the whole offense. But I still think we are in good hands with him.

18. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    In my opinion, there's no point to this conversation anymore. RT17 got paid. He's guaranteed to be here for quite awhile. You don't like how he played? So be it, doesn't change anything. He's never getting benched in the next couple years nor cut. We have a Franchise Quarterback now. It's time we as fans treat him like one. He has an off game, you just assume he's coming back strong the next week. Thats how franchise QBs work.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He wanted to be 100% on intercepting the ball, ironically, that turnover wound being a turnover on downs by us on the missed 4th down conversion attempt

Will say Matt Darr did alright

20. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Ryan's game has not changed. It was that same way in college. All that's happened is he's adjusted to the speed of the NFL game compared to when he was a rookie.

When he's on, he's dealing lasers to the short-intermediate areas of the field (mostly to the sideline), but he's soooooo stiff in the pocket. When they don't roll him out to loosen him up he becomes even moreso. This game reminded me of the Texan game his rookie year with the batted balls and two would-be interceptions.

I'm still waiting to see that he's something more than just a manufactured game-plan by Lazor to hide his weaknesses.

dolphin25 likes this.
  21. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    The defense really pissed me off today and it was for the same reason I was uneasy about handing Suh the kind of money we did. He's ONE guy who can be schemed. That means everyone else has to win their one-on-ones and who's that gonna be on a consistent basis? Guys like Wake and OV couldn't even take advantage (albeit OV got hurt early). It's not going to be the LB's. Honestly, Wake's getting a bit long in the tooth.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wake had a sack nullified, if one noticed in the second half the DL was playing to stop the run, not to penetrate the backfield, which pretty much shut the redskins down.

23. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca

That's actually inaccurate.

And this conversation will never end as it relates to his progress.

Yes he is our guy. And yes he will be here at least this year and next.

And he is being treated like a franchise guy. he got the franchise contract. But franchise QBS have to take credit and criticism.

Ask Jay cutler, and eli manning in spite of super bowls, and tony romo.

I'm not going to sit here an be a sycophant or acolyte. Nor am I on here with an agenda. I know there is a history of Ryan arguments and that leads everyone to over react on both sides.

But I think reasonable discourse evaluating his performance is warranted. When he plays great we will all be here dapping him up. Today he was average at best.

Hopefully next week we get the flashes we are looking for.

dolphin25 likes this.
  24. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    man if that was the Dline playing against the run I'd hate to see them defend the ground game when they're selling out against passing plays!

Wake had a great play voided out for sure. Regardless, not enough from that front four. They know it and we know it.

Someone needs to tell the team the preseason is over. It ain't gonna be as easy as it was during those games. Games aren't played on paper, they're played on Directv and they have to be better.

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    You can't blame all that on the defense. If the offense moves the ball guess what? They would have had the ball more. The short drives is why they didn't have more time of possession. Tannehill missed Sims wide open in the end zone. Another time they couldn't convert on 4th down. That fumble took away another opportunity. Not stopping the Redskins run game hurts but so did the offense today. Got to be better than that when they actually play good defenses. The offense to me was much worse than the defense today. Horrible play calling and not running more with Miller didn't help either.

dolphin25 likes this.
  26. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    To only score one TD against this Redskins defense is pretty bad.

27. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I agree on the Jonas Gray part. Lamike James adds nothing to this team. I'd rather see what Gray can do until Ajayi gets healthy, then have wasted plays when Lamike is on the field.

dolphin25 and Bpk like this.
  28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is one of the quirks of the 4-3, against a run heavy team, the Dline more or less fills the gaps in the blocking scheme allowing the Lb's/S to come up and make plays. THAT was the adjustment Coyle made.

Cannot find the stats atm, would bet that the Redskins rushing numbers were pretty much in the first half, second half they were more or less neutralized running the ball

I found it more interesting that Shepperd got pulled for Vigil so quickly

29. Rances

Rances New Member

May 24, 2013
    Los Angeles, ca
    agree on the vigil switch. shows fins went into game with a very quick hook in mind. They were basically ready to start vigil and opted to give sheppard a chance. First sign of trouble he was out.

dolphin25 likes this.
  30. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I love me some Jarvis Landry.

dolphin25 likes this.
  31. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    The thing I took away from the game is it was a sloppy week one win. Since it usually takes about 4 weeks of regular season games before you know what type of team you have I came away pretty happy. Had a QB who just wasn't feeling it today and yet still made some Nic throws, the one between the two defenders to Cameron. Beautiful touch. Landry is a monster and I feel my prediction that he will be our best receiver will become reality. Cameron played well. The oline had their issues, the dline had their issues. The linebackers were a bit of a concern. Not happy with some angles they took. I will hope for improvement from them. Secondary was 50/50. Personal o thought the defensive and offensive schemes sucked today. I thought we got outcoached but the bottom line is we won. And by week 5 when the real season starts we'll be a helluva lot better

32. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Actually I CAN pretty much hang that on the defense for the most of it.
    Washington started the game with an over 7 minute drive.
    when Miami got the ball they had a 3 and out where tannehill made an 8 yard pass and we failed to make 2 yards on the run(Tannehill's fault I guess)
    when the skins got the ball back they went on another long 11 play drive(over 5 minutes)

Miamis next drive stunk though...that was on the offense(Tannehill for sure) and went no where.
    Then Washington got back and thats where the INT came in GREAT on the defense.

We had our 4 and out
    then Washington went on a 17 play drive for almost 9 MINUTES!!!
    and after all this is was 10-0

then the offense clicked, got some plays going and got us a TD in a 1:22 minute drive.

so when the Offense gets about 8 minutes of playing time in a full half its kinda hard to get things going.
    especially when you are watching the defense give up these long time eating drives.

PERSPECTIVE, thats all everyone here needs(and is sorely lacking)

miami365 and adamprez2003 like this.