1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something to watch tonight that interest us..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Jan 7, 2010.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    with the BCS Championship game...ILB McClain. As we know ILB is a major weakness on this team, and it wouldn't surprise me at 12 that he is on the board. Time to see what this cat has got, in a pressure packed major spotlight game; I can wait!!!!

2. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    Yep. Very much so. I only watched McClain twice this year -- in the VT game and the Florida game. He made some good/very good plays in these games, but for some reason the biggest thing that I remember is the mental mistake in the VT game. He let his emotions get the better of him and was flagged. It cost them with points. This is really minor unless this was something that showed in the other games too (ones that I didn't see). I can't imagine that it would be too much of a problem else Saban would rip him a new one.

finyank13 likes this.
  3. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    But is he going to be great? Do you look at him and say yeah, that guy will be getting a Pro Bowl invitation every year?

Because if not, you don't take an ILB at with that high of a pick....you use that pick on a player at a core position.

As far as defense goes, NT and pass rusher are the only things we need that are positions you can justify using the #12 over all pick for.

I know McClain is very good.....but is he that good?

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I have to admit I don't really follow college football, our best team around here is BC, and they rot, so the whole college football experience misses us. But I do know players, especially when they pertain to my team....all I know is the dude is 6-4 258, how is he making it to 12??

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    from all indications he is that good, the best ILB on the board, with all due respect to Spikes, and lets face it, I'm in shock over our other Florida LB that isnt good...he is 258 and plays like a beast...those are Ray Lewis body numbers...you want Dez Bryant I assume??

jetssuck likes this.
  6. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    You might want to watch nose tackle "mount Cody"
    some sites have him at 6'5'' and 380 lbs
    any nose tackle that commands a double team on every play he is in is something special.

McClain with the first and Cody with or second pick

resnor, xphinfanx, FinSane and 2 others like this.
  7. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I'm going to be watching McClain and Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas, 6'4" 255, more than the game. Along with Brandon Spikes, ILB, FLA, they are right now at the top of my wish list at #12.

Kindle would be my first choice, as it is much tuffer to fill OLB than the inside. In the games I've seen him, he looks to be special.

finyank13 likes this.
  8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I forgot about him.....I wanted Miami to pick him last year, until he shattered my dream and announce he was going back to Bama....your on to something....Terrance Cody....you think that dude makes it to the 2nd?? Thats the least that snake Sabin can do is be our minor league system....

miamiron likes this.
  9. miamiron

Jan 4, 2008
    Stick with Mount St Charles hockey
    40 state hockey titles
    26 in a row state titles
    20 alumni have been drafted by the NHL
    A book was written called "the pride of mount"
    about the hockey programs remarkable accomplishment
    A movie/documentary was made called"The Ice Kings"

I graduated high school in Woonsocket in 1975 and "the Mounties" have been the most dominant team before and since when compared to any sport I have ever seen in my 52 years

finyank13 likes this.
  10. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'm not sure what or who I want with that first pick right now and probably won't until I see what happens in FA.......it's possible that trading down in the first round might also be a good option.

Dez Bryant looks good but I'd actually rather have a FA WR that was ready to line up as the number one at the opening of TC.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I can remember back in 1993, I went to Cranston West....we had them 3-1 after 2 periods, and in the 3rd they open a can of whoop a=s on us, scored 8 goals and won 9-3...who does that?!?!? Yeah Mount is good, not as good as they used to be though..

miamiron likes this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It's a valid point....and why brandon graham is on my board.

jetssuck likes this.
  13. miamiron

Jan 4, 2008
    I think we may have to trade up to get Cody.This team has got to pull the trigger and take a chance if he gets anywhere near the second...use Ginn,White,Cammy,Wilson anything to move up...Remember last year with the Pat White pick if we would have moved up
    from pick 44 to pick 42...2 spots and we could have had
    a rookie free safety pro bowl selection with 9 interceptions
    instead of Wilson...2 spots

Look at the Patrick Turner pick at 87 who gave us ZERO production versus Mike Wallace at pick number 84...if we could have moved up those few spots we would have been
    rewarded with a receiver that had 39 receptions for 756 yards with 6 touchdowns...instant #1 production

Just by taking a chance and moving up a few draft spots
    I know this is all after the fact but I wish this team would be a bit more aggressive and going after players instead of letting players fall into our laps...hope it makes sense

jetssuck likes this.
  14. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Cody is BIG but, that's all. He does not make plays, and I do not see him as being as good as Soliai. Watch him tonight and see what you think he will do vs NFL OL.

He had an opportunity to increase his game from last season, and has done nothing.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I read it, that's where your scouting department comes into play big time...see the depth in the draft from year to year?....Pat Turner....Mike Wallace...now Pitt did have a pass heavy offense, but come on your 3rd rounder cannot be a healthy inactive for 16 weeks, and expect to be a good football team.....

miamiron likes this.
  16. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    CK and crew already have a write-up about both McClain and Spikes .... not sure this game is more pressure packed than the FL game for AL .... both are slated to be good -- but not Ray Lewis good .....

i believe both will be on the board at #12 ... and probably a bit later - after we trade down.

Definately agree on both Cody and Kindle ..... we would be much more likely to actually hold our slot to draft either of these 2 .... at ILB - we definately trade down.

17. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    McClain has all the talent in the world. He also seems to take a number of plays off. I'm not sure that Spikes, with his nasty streak, will not be the better Pro or, better fit to our team.

finyank13 likes this.
  18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    not saying I would consider Cody at one or two, you have to see how the board plays out, and I will say NT is not AS pressing as a need as ILB,FS,WR,TE, or even another OLB....I'm just in love with this McClain's kid's size man...I wonder what his speed is like 40's, shuttles, the combine will be telling......also remember Parcells loves BIG tough ILB's remember Harry Carson, Gary Reasons, and Pepper Johnson in the 80-90's....if Mac is on the board at 12....Parcells may pull the trigger, provided his combine and interviews work out.....

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I can see the Giants at 15 trading with Miami, they have the same needs as Miami on defense. FL/AL was pressure packed but your talking the BCS Championship, all the biggest sponsors prime time slot, there is alot of pressure....he maybe isnt Ray Lewis good, but its a Ray Lewis body type no?? I think Miami should trade down too, hopefully they know if they trade lower than the Giants and it isn't with the Giants then chances are they will lose a player off their big board. It would be awesome to have another 2nd or 3rd.....

20. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Spikes the guy who intentionally gouged the eyes of the Georgia(?) player earlier in the season?

21. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Yes.

22. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Kindle is just what the doctor ordered, maybe the best pass rusher in the draft, and a LB who can cover. What a novel thought. :)

Totally disagree on Cody. There are 5 FA NT's who are better that what we had. I look at us signing one, and addressing other needs.

23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I believe so......mental lapse that's all....lol

24. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    LOL. Spikes did cross the line there, and did apologize. He has a mean streak, not a bad thing for a ILB, and that is one of the things I like about him.

We have gotten much more physical than in days gone by But, not at LB.

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I cant get over though how incredibly soft Miami is up the middle, another OLB/DE would be good for pass rushing/containment to the sidelines. Miami needs some tough SOB's up the middle, someone who kills an RB if he gets into the second level. Chris Johnson wore Miami down in between the tackles this year, so did D'Angelo and Foster.....it just seemed to easy...and trust me I'm not saying Cody, I think he will interviews and test bad, and slips...

26. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I've seen worse while shopping on Black Friday....:shifty:

27. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    When Ferg went down, and to a lessor degree, Crowder, our run D disappeared.

I sent a letter to Tuna Claus asking for Wilfork. Aside from that, Hampton from Pitt, Pickett from GB, Franklin from SF, and Tank Johnson from Cinci are all UFA.

Any of the above are younger and better options than Ferg, and/or Cody.

jetssuck likes this.
  28. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Seems way to similar to Crowder, who imo, is a dirty player with a big mouth, and not enough football ability to back it up.

im on the no thanks to Spikes wagon.

finyank13 and jetssuck like this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Mcclain sure has a presense about him ya know.

30. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    LOL, Butkus, Nitchke, and Lambert are saying "That's all he did, and people are bothered by it?" :)

jetssuck likes this.
  31. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Spikes has much more ability than Crowder. I have NO IDEA where you got the notion of Crowder being a dirty player.

32. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I would be happy with Kindle, McClain, or Spikes, just want one of them. They are all NFL ready impact players IMO.

33. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    He's like more of a target for it due to his mouth...... standing there having his head punched or getting de-cleated every other game from blindside blocks.

Oh well, at least he's funny :sad:

djphinfan likes this.
  34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Agreed its wierd because when Crowder is out their run d, you can notice it, but I'm sorry he isnt that good u know?? Soli is decent needs maybe one more year, Hampton didnt have that great of a year, I think they sign Fergie back, he wont cost them that much, the need isnt as great, there is willingness on both sides to get it done......Wilfork will cost you Hayensworth money, can u see Miami spending that?? I dont.....although man would he be nice in Miami especially against those cheating SOB's....

35. Ozzy

Spikes better have more ability because Crowder is mearly average. He still is not that good and especially if we're talking about picking him anywhere in the first round.

McClain is a football player with great instincts. He is also very smart and knows the Nick Saban defense like the back of his hand. A system that is far more difficult that the one Miami uses so I think he can pick it up and be ready to play right away. ALTHOUGH I'm not totally sold on even taking him with the 12th pick. Trade back a little and get him and a pick and I'd be stoked!!

Crowder, and I did say it was my opinion, but I've seen him do lots of dirty things, including in PRACTICE! My own eyes have watched him clothesline his own teammates during a freaking practice more than once. Out of the frustration of being juked when its just touch football. He's been pulled aside and told about it too. I've also seen him kick a defenseless player who was lying on the ground at the bottom of a pile........again because he was beaten by that player. I can go on about him but I think this should get the point across.

Florida Gators Lb's have also never done very well in the NFL except for Wilbur Marshall.

36. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

I would throw up if we pick anything but a Wr in the first round, I think theres like 2 Wr that can make an impact right of the bat.

Its time to take a chance

37. Ozzy

He also gets opponents pretty fired up with his mouth and thats not good because he needs all the help he can get to consistantly beat his man.

He is very quick whitted and funny to boot but man is he average on the field.

djphinfan and jetssuck like this.
  38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Love the trade down, worry about the G-Men sitting at 15.....and at that point who is someone trading up for!?!? Probably him....if he is on board at 12, might have to take him....

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Man..Look at how that Satan team is built...what a beautiful thing..

Defensive identity...check

Big time middle linebacker who calls the shots..check

Big time running game with elite back...check

3rd down back...check.

Electric returner...check

#1 wide receiver...check

care taker at QB....check

good, fast tight end...check...

Dominating Nose tackle...check

sheeeeeee#...that team is built real nice.

finyank13 likes this.
  40. Ozzy

I think I'll throw up if they do take one at all in the draft. None of the Wr's in this class make my toes tingle so my hopes are that they land one via trade or as a FA.

This draft is loaded with some solid defensive players, Rb's, and a couple of very solid TE's.

jetssuck likes this.