1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sources..Dion Jordan is not being used correctly.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Dec 1, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

its about time this gets some publicity, some of us have been adamant since college that he needed to be at linebacker..cant argue with it much at this point considering what we've see at def end.

Chip Kelly and Nick Aliotti get it..

No where in that article did it mention how dumb it is to have this player this heavy playing the role he is playing.

we really could be a better defense if this kid was at his proper weight playing linebacker..

Put him on the strict diet and get him ready for the playoffs, you might be able to get him down to 270, cause there is some information out there that I respect that says he's in the 290 range, and personally I don't think its far off.

Should be a fascinating story this offseason, what a mess, lets hope someone on our staff comes to their senses.

mbsinmisc, DPlus47, Da 'Fins and 3 others like this.
  2. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Def a better at LB but if he wants to see the field more he needs to make some plays.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    From 247 to 290... Lol, damn..that's crazy to think about..he can't change directions lol..

resnor likes this.
  4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I mean I can see how they are using him, but it's so ignorant to think that this is what you had in mind when you had him bulk up this offseason.

5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    No one but himself to blame. I'm sure had he not gotten suspended he'd be further along this season but at this point coyles not concerning himself with dion Jordan.

In the time span that Jordan's been back, we've faced cutler, rivers, stafford, orton, and manning. Not a lot of time for coyle to concern himself with how he's going to work dion Jordan in more.

That said, Jordan has plenty of time to make an impact on the season. He should be fresher and hungrier than anyone else on the team.

6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This is one of the reasons I want Philbin gone... His stubborn *** won't move him when all the world knows he should.

miamiron, Da 'Fins and Unlucky 13 like this.
  7. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    When something seems this blatantly obvious I can't help but think there is a piece of the puzzle we don't know about.

8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Maybe he simply sucked as a LB and this is where the coaches are forced to play him

mbsinmisc and GARDENHEAD like this.
  9. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Not AGAIN !!! Come on guys we are rehashing old news really.IIRC the same sources said basically the same thing earlier this year. Until Dion Jordan grows some balls and goes directly to the Coaches and tells them that he is playing out of position and carrying too much weight, and TELLS them to play him where he fits best...OLB, then if they don't want to play him in best position for himself and the TEAM... Then Demand a trade if they won"t budge.

10. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    You may have just hit the nail on the head.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  11. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I've been screaming for ever he should be a LB. But like some have already said, he's been limited to mostly hand on the ground and get after the QB and he hasn't even done that well. Who knows if he would do well at LB at this point. He has the athleticism though for sure.

And for them to even call one play where Jordan is cover Megatron kind of makes me think they trust him in coverage. He needs to convert asap.

12. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I wonder what the Eagles would give us for him???

13. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Well, it looks like Dion has to weight yo-yo again and drop what he gained this off-season. He simply is not an nfl DE. Hopefully Fede can develop into what we need but regardless I would draft a RDE prospect.

14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I can't see how it's on philbin. I highly doubt Coyle has gone to philbin and suggested it but philbin refused. Coyle seems to have complete control of personnel of his unit.

I think it's time to face the reality that Jordan might not be very good and that nobody is holding him back but him.

He might be more effective at linebacker, but he shouldn't be a nobody as a pass rusher and right now he is

15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've said it before, but I don't think the attempt to get Jordan to gain weight was inherently a bad one. They thought they could turn him into a Mario Williams or Carlos Dunlap and put a guy opposite Wake in the technique they wanted, and it didn't work out. The shoulder issue and the suspension complicated and delayed figuring this out.

I think you could have developed him better and used him better, but I don't think there's been anything staggeringly bad. If this staff is retained and they try to keep moving forward with the experiment, then that's different.

16. Fins Hipster

Fins Hipster Banned

Nov 7, 2014
    It's entirely possible that Dion Jordan is simply just a flop.

17. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    This. He's been pretty elite covering top TE's and the larger WR's. There's a reason we are using him in that capacity. He's really good at it. Maybe they finally realized their mistake and are trying to fix it now. I don't have much faith in Joe Philbin, honestly...

18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The most astounding part of that article was the admission that Jeff Ireland's front office did indeed view Dion Jordan as a "havoc-wreaking outside linebacker".

Notable because that front office was supplying talent for Kevin Coyle's 4-3 defense and gave big contracts to outside linebacker Philip Wheeler, middle linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, and outside linebacker Koa Misi.

I guess Jeff Ireland can't count.

jim1, mbsinmisc, MonstBlitz and 3 others like this.
  19. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

No way you can say he's flop if he's being misused. Now maybe he will be. But I damn sure want to see him play at Lb before I just trade him for peanuts.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Maybe if he can start the season not being suspended he will get to fight for that spot but I see no need to criticize the coaching staff for not just turning a blind eye like all is fine on day one. In due time.

21. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Not only that but the coaches features him in LB, DT, DE packages. He does not have a fixed spot but plays at different spots. Giving him a full time spot at WILL or SAM just for the sake of it will not all of sudden make him worth #3 pick and the trade that was done. They bulked him up probably because they wanted him to play close to the line as well, to give them versatility.

DJ was a bust for where he was picked, coaches know what they are doing, he is being utilized in the best role he's suited for, and he is helping the team.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    imo, from a physiological and biomechanics perspective, it was the wrong choice to have him add weight..from a football perspective, it was obvious what he was good at in college, to move in a different direction then what some smart people were doing with him in college and being very successful doing so, was a mistake..

basically to try and take what you had and convert to a large def end was a mistake in player evaluation, and a mistake in exercise phis.

so now that we know it was a mistake, and have some good sources to reaffirm that position, lets try and salvage the situation..

if indeed he is at 290 Pate, like we have heard in certain circles..and noone is doing anything about changing that, then its the mistake that keeps giving.

23. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Hopefully that isn't the case. Because I don't ever see him being anything more than a very average or even below average DE in the NFL.

If the Dolphin coaches don't think Jordan can be an effective OLB, it would probably be wise of Hickey to see what he can get in a trade for him after this season is over.

Unfortunately because of his lack of production on the field and his problem this year of missing games because of his suspension, the Dolphins will be lucky to get a 5th round draft pick for him at this stage of his career.

I just find it hard to believe that Jordan can't be more effective than Wheeler at OLB.

24. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    No1 Draft pick and the Phins made him the "best" Defensive player taken with their Draft choice. We are still waiting. I actually expected some more imagination, knowledge and at what position the Dolphin experts had Jordan projected at playing let alone his performances which right now is zero because ""experts are still scratching their heads on how to use him. Not what i expect from a No1 pick and such a high pick. Jordan is proving to be an embarrassment the longer this circus goes on. Its alot easier to slot Jordan into a good Defense than a bad one. I'm still waiting. Regarding Jordan at Tight End position...thats desperate and embarrassing considering Jordans pick and round. He is not some project that was drafted in the 5th round.

25. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    He'll likely be used correctly next year with our new coaching staff.

26. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Firstly the grains of salt. The sources are keen to protect their own reputations and would prefer to say that DJ is being misused than to say DJ is a bust. DJs college tape shows him making incredible athletic plays when he is unblocked but I xdidnt see much evidence of him shedding blockers or diagnosing plays before they happened.

As qn athlete I think DJ would be a perfect OLB. Maybe our staff have come theconclusion that his limitations are from the neck up.

What would make me. very happy would be seeing DJ used as the kryptonite to the Gronk. We all know he has enough athleticism for the job.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    how can I think of the right analogy..hmm......we took a race horse, and we didn't let it run.

the strategy to make this player bulk up was a multimillion dollar mistake and someone on that stupid strength staff should fired, they should of known relative to his frame that that much weight would be counter productive to his movement and vision for the type of role they wanted him to be in, which is obviously multiple..

its a mess from top to bottom with this player..

I've said it a million times, they fu$$ed up thinking that he needed to get stronger, he didn't need to get stronger he needed to get his shoulder right, for crying out load the dude was playing with one shoulder last year..he just needed to keep his physique, one natural offseason he would of been good to go..plenty of strength at 255 to do whatever they wished, while still keeping his speed and explosiveness to be in coverage, to go sideline to sideline..

this is freestyle type player, run and chase big time is what he's all about..absolutely beautiful movement skills in coverage for a man that size, he could of redefined a position that has never been defined..

bottom line, somehow someway, someone let this kid get up to 290lbs...

game over..that body cannot hold that kind of weight, said that before in camp, and then what did we see in preseason?..complete sluggishness, dude could barely stand up over his feet, horrible balance, i saw plays and rewatched plays where he was pushed to the ground so easily it looked like he was getting bullied..

this staff needs to change the course of the player immediately, or else their gonna ruin a very valuable asset to this franchise.

DPlus47 and ToddPhin like this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    what games do you have us losing?

29. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    honestly the only thing i saw of him in college was a DE with incredible burst who had no move or technique other than to run around the DE. Zero inside moves. To me he was a poor man's Dwight Freeney and only if he learned some technique and got some strength. He did seem to be able to cover TEs well but that ability alone doesnt make a LB. They had a year with him at 255 and apparently didn't think much of him at that weight. Its possible they made a mistake but its also possible he just isnt that good

30. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Dion just needs to play better wherever they put him right now. Jeez.

I'm out. See yall in the game thread.

[​IMG]

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree DJ. Jordan wasn't a great pass rusher (no moves) coming out but he had elite speed as a pass rusher and excellent cover skills due to his length and overall athleticism. He was actually used effectively to cover TEs that first season. He was praised for that coverage ability and then told to gain weight this offseason and just be a DE. I could see some logic in limiting his responsibility if he's struggling with the mental side but there's no logic in taking a guy with elite size/speed ratio at one position and putting him at a weight that's likely to negate that speed. There's also no logic in seeing a player do something very well (coverage) and something he's average at (hand on the ground pass rush) and making him only do what he's average at. I guess you could say your developing that aspect but then you can't be disappointed when you don't see the elite skills.

I also don't see any problem with drafting an elite player at a game changing position when you have the chance even if you have your starters in place. In fact, I see that as a better strategy than drafting non game changing need players. The key is that the coaches have to use the player's skills to maximize their impact. What's happening with Jordan now is reminiscent of what we saw Sherman doing with RT. And the result is posts claiming he must be a bust much like you saw with RT before he got Lazor's system down. You get a coach who uses Jordan to his strengths and you may find that Jordan similarly has top 5 talent at his position.

jim1, DPlus47 and ToddPhin like this.
  32. JOHN_M

JOHN_M New Member

May 19, 2014
    Run the 34ord
    with jordan at olb vernon olb misi and mccain at ilb
    Cam at de odrick at de starks and Mitchell in the middle!
    Wa

K

SENT FROM MY LG G FLEX ON THE NOW NETWORK FROM SPRINT!✌

33. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    If he can average a punt block a game he can be a nice specialty player.

34. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Lost contain on the Salas run. Nice block though, too bad we couldn't capitalize on it.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He flashed a hell of a lot more last year than this year, hell of a lot.