1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sources: Tennessee could announce deal with Kiffin on Monday

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by alen1, Nov 28, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    ESPN - Sources: Tennessee Volunteers have agreement with Lane Kiffin

2. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Good for him.

He didn't deserve half the garbage Old Man River gave him. Hope he succeeds and brings Rocky Top back to respectability in the SEC.

3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well as a Tennessee fan I am excited and worried but more excited than anything. There are both pros and cons to this move which I think deserve attention.

Pros-Kiffin looked like he had potential in Oakland but was held back by Davis (I believe OAK was 2-2 at one point this year), also he learned under Pete Carroll for a while which will be great for anyone coaching college football.

Cons-Kiffin has potential but we all know potential doesn't equal success, so he still has to show success on the field and at UT he's going to have to do it quick. Also I wonder can Kiffin handle recruiting and all that, his inexperience as a college head coach could be big in that regard.

Overall I think Vols fans should be excited because there is at least a chance this team can be one of the best in the NCAA now. With Fulmer the last few years you expected to lose 3-4 games with less being unlikely and more being unlikely (well until the 2006 and 2008 seasons). Also with Fulmer you can count on a Florida loss every year as well as any big game, the fact is the SEC has caught up to Fulmer with Meyer, Miles, Saban, etc. and the Vols had to fire him. Ten years ago he was one of the best coaches in the NCAA and I respect all he has done for Tennessee but its time he leaves. Just this new era will create excitement going into next year and hopefully the honeymoon lasts.

4. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I'd be cautiously optimistic if I were a Vols fan. Seems like a bit of a gamble, but we'll see if he can capture some of that Pete Carroll magic.

5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I agree 100%.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    ESPN reports Monte Kiffin plans to follow Lane Kiffin to UT!