1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano doing one hell of a job

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MaddMatt, Nov 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    We have not lost a game we "shoulda" won going in. He has gotten the most he could have with the talent given to him.

We have also won games we should not have, on paper. Give our coaches the same talent, and we kick *** on a weekly basis.

Opinions?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

He's 3-0 in the division this year and that really counts.

Even if we lose to the Pats in Foxboro he clearly shows that he knows winning the division is important, and I like the fire he has.

He clearly understands the game and wants the players to go out and grind.

PhinsFanWife, Bpk, dolfan7171 and 2 others like this.
  3. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Aside from X & O, aside from whatever teaching and motivational skills the guy has, he absolutely has the best feel for the pulse of his team of about any coach I've seen. I think this is demonstrated in many ways but none so clearly as knowning when to go for a conversion on 4th down and when not too. There's a reason we've been so successful in that situation.

Bpk and dolfan7171 like this.
  4. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I think Sparano has done excellent things in many areas.

He's a guy who has layed a strong foundation of his brand of football, what he expects from his coaches and players.

He is also a classy individual when dealing with reporters.

He has a way of getting certain players to correct mistakes.

He actually trusts and listens to his coaches on angles they see and then more importantly implement those ideas into their gameplan. Again this shows me he is walking the walk that winning is the most important, his idea or not. Biggest trait i love about him.
    (See wildcat from last year after our terrible start)

He likes to get all players involved. Even if limited. But if he thinks a player has a trait that can help the team in any situation he's not afraid to give the player the opportunity.

He directed his team to sweep the Jets this year. God is THAT Sweet! Something Cam or Satan never did for our beloved dolphins. Oh and Tony Swept the Bills last year. Another thing Satan and Cam didn't do. Up next...the pats :)

He has passion on the sidelines. It's becoming a nice trait on the sidelines of our important successful plays to see him running down the sideline doing a fist through the air. That's awesome.

He recognizes his players in the locker room and gives credit where credit is due, all while talking about the team effort

His footaball fundamentals are great. He adapts his system to the strengths of his players. Instead of fitting a square through a round hole by making his current personnel and their traits adapt to his system. (another huge trait) See Zorn in washington, no JT you need to play the opposite side of the formation that you dominated your entire career because i said so, it might not work for you but it's MY system.

Man i can't wait till Tony signs a long term deal with us. The guys is nothing but taking this team on the up and up.

That's about all for now, i'm sure there are somethings i missed. haha.

PhinsFanWife, FinSane, Bpk and 6 others like this.
  5. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Give our coaching staff close to equal talent, and there is no limit to what they can do.

Remember two years ago? I do. It was going to take 3 years to be respectable, and I thought that was fair.

Tuna, Sparano, and the rest of the coaches and players disagree, TO THEIR CREDIT.

dolfan7171 and tinytown50 like this.
  6. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Sparano has done a MASTERFUL job with what he had to work with. The effort his team has put forth is far greater than their talent. At least for now. :)

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Overall I give him a B

I think he instills a good attitude. He has the players play intelligent for the most part. He's created the right atmosphere for a winner

His negatives IMO are

1) in game situations can get scary sometimes (not always but sometimes) The Colts two minute drive, The 2 pt conversion vs Jets, etc

2) seems terrified of putting in new players and I'm not sure if best players are playing(Clemons doesnt play until wk 8, Henne starts season on bench, Wake barely plays, Turner still not playing, Thigpen, White, Sheets...whats their story? Torbor seemed to play better than Ayedele to me yet he's ridden the bench for 1 1/2 years) Sparano may very well be correct here but you have to wonder when seeing Clemons, Torbor and Henne play well. Also why did Ginn get benched for Hartline again? Gotta be kidding on that one

3) 2nd half adjustments suck. we are getting killed defensively 2nd half

4) why do we start out so slow two years in a row? 2-4?

5) why is there no passing component to wildcat yet?

6) ginn started returning kicks what part of the season?

Overall he gets a good solid grade...a solid B. But he still has things to work on. He's a second year guy just like alot of our players

8. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I just wish he would calm down a little on the sidelines. Reminds me of Pete Carrol with the Jets, and we know how we felt about him.

I mean the other team misses a field goal in the 1st half and you'd think we just won the superbowl.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    HC Sparano has a huge test coming up this weekend, "yes" the Pats are favored and "yes" it is in Foxboro, we simply need to win this game though.

10. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    He is the best coach we've had since Shula. He is doing a great job and he is going to get better and better. Just watch!!:up:

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Sparano & Associates have done an excellent job, but the skipper of this ship is Bill Parcels

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Would you prefer someone who is stoic? The guy wears his heart on his sleeve and I like that

dolphindebby, Bpk and Crappy Tipper like this.
  13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    there is no problem with Sparano. he is the blue collar real deal

14. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    No, I don't want someone to act stoic like Belichick either, but how about celebrating in moderation. I just think he takes every good thing to the extreme.

The refs threw a flag in favor of Miami late in the game against the Jets and he was pointing at the flag and pumping his arms in celebration. That's excessive.

Love the guy. Like the emotions...to an extent

15. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    All we need to concern ourselves with are the Ws & Ls. If he wants to ride a unicycle up and down the sideline, as long as the Ws far out weigh the Ls, and the talent continues to improve, I'm happy with him. I like his passion.

dolphindebby likes this.
  16. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Sparano 7-2 vs AFC East. Hopefully 8-2 after this weekend.

The Aqua Crush and Bpk like this.
  17. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I love every ounce of his enthusiasm for the smallest of plays. He cheers hard, coaches hard and from the look on his face chews *** hard when they make a mistake.

I like having a coach with an emotional investment in the smallest details. It means he won't overlook anything.

He may still make some young coaching mistakes but by virtue of his recent dominance in the division and overall record since he has taken over I think we are on strong footing as long as he is our coach.

Watch the players respond to him when he does a chest bump or high five....those guys are going to fight for that man and will not lay down in battle.

I honestly don't think we would have beaten the Jets in either game if it weren't for his emotion on that sideline and the players playing hard for him.

18. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Good job coach!

19. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    No coach is perfect. Anyone recall Mr Bill's halftime adjustments vs the Wild Cat a year ago? So much for genius. LOL

Can anyone point to a game which you believed, going in, we should have won, and did not? I can't.

We do not have the talent of some. We have the "potential" of having that talent but, it's not there yet. In the meantime, Sparano has gotten the most there was to get out of his players.

I do not believe there is a HC who could have done any better, considering what he had to work with than Tony The Tiger.

We are MOST FORTUNATE to have him. YA GOTTA LOVE THE GUY. :)

20. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Calm down? Hell, I wish some of the players would have the same emotion. He is what he is, and we could have not gotten better.

He is bringing out the best in our players and it ain't vanilla. LOL

dolphindebby likes this.
  21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    agreed :yes:

Themole likes this.
  22. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Football is an emotional game, and teams NEED emotional leaders. It does make a difference.

This is why we have upsets. Teams, with little chance on paper, kick it up a notch and out play guys with better talent.

Themole likes this.
  23. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Gotta get this team to close out in the fourth quarter. Can't let the likes of Manning, Brees, Brady etc kill us through the air. Our pass defense has to not let down the hard work Ronnie and Ricky do in the first 3 quarters any more. We shut those types of QBs down through pressure and coverages, we'll win.

Themole likes this.
  24. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I don't want a coach who just stands there with his arms crossed, not talking to the players when they come off the field etc. He is good, he's not a jerk, he's animated, he loves his guys and his team. I think showing all this is just what this team needed.

He's what I needed also. A coach I can stand behind right or wrong because I do know how much he loves our team.

I don't understand why it would be wrong to show emotion for something you love. IMO, let it out, be proud and let every one know you are the Miami Dolphins head coach.

As far as bp, I don't even think about him any more, this is Tony's team all the way. He knows it, the other coaches know it and best of all, his guys know it. He is the leader.

25. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    can't argue with his DIV record .....

it's a Parcells staple to not start rookies .... so i would expect that here as well -- unless given no choice. why do you think we sign a FA and draft players for the same position.

the only game that will come back to haunt us this year, and that we should not have lost, both on paper and talent was SD ..... equally, we lost our starting QB that game and had to play with an unprepared Henne. on paper, we were not supposed to win against INDY or NO, but clearly had the opportunity to win both ....

26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    was a shock of start for Dolfandom
    but we've got time to make up the difference
    starting with an upset win against
    the New England Cheaters:party:Miami by 10

27. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Overall my frustrations with the team are gone as well. EXCELLENT point on us not losing games that we should win....yes we've had some let downs (colts and Saints) but those were hard games and we played 'em to the wire. We came in with a plan in both cases and executed. We turned from an anemic team to one that puts points on the board, scrimping and clawing for each and every one. I love the smash mouth high octane culture that Sporano brought. We were a finesse team for too long IMO. We're young, fast, strong, and explosive.

Themole likes this.
  28. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Everything Sparano has done for us has been mentioned.

But the one thing I like about Tony is the fact that he has our players BELIEVING they can win, any game, against anyone. That confidence factor is something we've lacked for the longest time. RARELY have we've gotten blown out, we've been in almost every game since he's taken over as head coach. There have been alot of "what if" games with Sparano, but thats an improvement of what we've had to deal with in recent years. I think this is the coach who will take us all the way. Hes not infallible and I wouldnt want him to be. Hes supposed to make mistakes and learn, then adjust, like his players. The past few coaches were so stubborn and hard headed, it was detrimental to the team. Since last year, we've been in total reversal mode from the past. Lets continue onward, shall we?

Crappy Tipper and Themole like this.
  29. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    He has done a good job, but hasn't stepped in when he should of. Dan Henning's play calling has been down right awful a few games, and Tony didn't step in. He needs to have a tighter rein on the over all team. When the defense isn't going well, he needs to pay closer attention to those calls as well. He is the team manager and can do better.