1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano: Henne needs to make better decisions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 21, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Read the rest here: Sparano Q&A

ATVZ400, skippysphins and SICK like this.
  2. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    1st three quarters were pretty good? didnt he throw 2 of his INTs in the 1st three quarters? Didn't we score most of our points in the 4th?

Did I watch a different game?

Agua and Bpk like this.
  3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Not sure at all why Tony would go so far to protect his QB that he is distorting the truth. That's unlike Tony.

Henne lost us that effing game.

Even that fourth quarter comeback had some horrendous throws in it. Horrendous.

It made me question whether we are set at QB, truly. I would hate to spend four more years like this then realise Henne will always have great games, then bad games, then so-so games, etc.

I *think* he'll be great, but I have a shred of doubt now. In fact, one Michigan fan's blog offered a pre-draft scouting report of Henne that insisted Henne was frustrating for all four years at Michigan becuase he'd seem to mostly play smart, then make really stupid boneheaded decisions leading to INT's out of the blue. This is a pattern he's had his whole career and most likely, it is a mental process thing for him. Very possible this pattern keeps up.

We may see his QB rating climb to around 90 next year, but I don;t want him to become ALMOST great but always lose in the playoffs or some such crap. It takes years to develop another QB. I don;t think White nor Thigpen could be franchise QB's.

After next season, we'll know if Henne is going to progress. If he does progress, I'll be thrilled. If not, we'd need to draft another QB just in case.

That said, it took Vince Young 4 years to suddenly play QB decently at this level. It's unfair to expect more than a 70-something QB rating at this point in his career.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You are nuts my friend. There's only 2 -4 QB's that are better than "almost great". Given the mediocrity that we've suffered through since Danny left, I'll take almost great any day of the week. I doubt Henne ever reaches Manning or Brady level, but he can be Rothlisberger. I'll take that.

5. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    oh, i believe he can easily reach Brady level ... it's usually when he is trying to force something to happen when things go bad for him. when he is playing 'within himself' he is pretty darn good ... just not sure what you expect from a rookie ..... he is going to be very good.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'll say that Henne is getting a Grade A education in the pressure of being an NFL Qb in the middle of a playoff chase, a couple of bad throws and your team loses.

That sort of experience is impossible to duplicate.

Now Chad Henne has two more games, at home, to try and earn a playoff spot, it will be interesting to watch Henne to see how he responds to chance #3.

7. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    i'll take Marino's word for it.

dolphindebby likes this.
  8. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    You'll take Marino's word over Sparanos?

9. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    :sad::no:

I expected more out of you than this drivel.. But I forgive ya, nobody is perfect.. Stick to comedy :tongue2::knucks:

10. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I agree with that. Well, sort of. Although, after the way Big Ben played this past Sunday, you could make an argument he has reached Brady/Manning level. That was a heckuva game. And, that last TD pass to win the game was perfectly thrown.

Bottom line...if Henne ends up being what I'll term a "solid" starting QB that maybe doesn't put up the same sort of gaudy stats that Peyton usually does, and Brady has done in the past, as long as he helps us win more games than we lose, he continues to improve, and takes on a strong leadership role on our team, then I will be very happy indeed. Anything more will just be gravy.

I agree Padre. You know, you never want to see a guy get hurt. And, didn't we all cringe when we heard Penny was down for the season? But, man oh man...has it ever worked to our favor?! At least in terms of getting a real good hard look at Henne, and how this offense would perform with him at the helm. Even after a sub par performance this past weekend, I still really like what I see.

Re; evaluating a QB, and from one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game? In a word...yes. I will. :wink2:

11. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Look, I love Marino. Greatest QB to ever play the game. As far as providing sports commentary and player evaluations go he's not anywhere near as gifted.

On top of that, I don't think that it's anywhere near appropriate to be telling a first year starter not to worry about forcing throws in a game where the guy threw three interceptions to pretty much doom us to another winter with no playoffs, especially when the head coach said the exact opposite. Just because Marino was a great QB doesn't mean that he's a great talent scout, and it certainly doesn't mean he's good coaching material.

dolfan7171 and The G Man like this.
  12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i think it is utterly ridiculous to blame henne for this team not making the playoffs
    there is some talk here of that being the case and it makes me wonder if people watch the games
    the defense stunk most of the season in the 4th quarter
    that is the glaring reason this team will not make the playoffs
    struggled stopping anyone early and mid season put together a few good games and back to their old self on sunday
    we gotta finish with the d to stand a chance with such a young qb

dolphindebby and dolfan7171 like this.
  13. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    you have to learn lessons, so forcing throws now will teach Henne what he can and can't expect to get away with.

clearly, some of his lessons shouldn't need to be learned - like trying to throw while being sacked and can't see the WR ... additionally, its a bad time to learn lessons - during a playoff run

a couple of his throws have been sheer stupidity - but otherwise, i can deal with the others.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    So, who else threw three interceptions for the Dolphins on Sunday? Did I watch a different game?

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the IceMan is doing just fine
    gains experience w/every game & can only improve
    he is the Franchise QB
    & we still could make the play-offs
    you never know what will happen
    the season isn't over yet

(winning & losing is a collective effort)

dolphindebby likes this.
  16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    to blame henne for the season is irrational
    yes he threw three picks in the game but the guy is still a kid and he deserves a pass
    you have to give these things time
    this team is young across the board and very inconsistent
    if you want to point fingers blame the veterans who havent stepped up like taylor or porter or even the coaching staff that jerks henne out of the ball game for white and a middle run of 1 yard to ruin his momentum.
    i dont blame henne for this team not making the playoffs
    that is just downright ridiculous

17. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have said that. Or, at least posted it that way. My bad emocomputerjock.

I guess what I was thinking, or trying to say is I believe Marino's perspective is valid (since he played the position, and quite well for years). But, truth is Marino made throws at times he shouldn't have (he also made throws he souldn't have, that no one else could, and got away with it more times that not). Call it a gunslinger mentality. But, you're right. So, is Sparano when he says Chad needs to make better decisions.

BUT...I also think some of this is just the nature of the maturation process. Keep in mind...Henne is still in his first year as a starter. And, he's what...7-4 as a starter? Or, something like that? And, he's already got 3-4 come from behind wins?

So, does he need to be smart? Absolutely. But, I would rather have him have to be reigned back in a little, than have him afraid to try and make plays when he thinks he can.

JMHO...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Hey, he plays well, and is making bone head throws that are mistakes, which he can learn to avoid.

But sometimes QBs never learn to avoid them. Until he eliminates those mistakes, you do NOT know if he will, or will not. That's the sad truth and it's the homer glasses that makes us think (or wish) or QB will be one of those who elevates the game, but until he does, don't be so sure he's an ace in the hole.

19. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I think Henne will work out and there is no limit on how far he can go, he has the tools and the right attitude.
    Although he made mistakes he also made plays and the mistakes can be eliminated as he matures.
    We were lucky to get this guy, look around the league even in our division there is little below Brady, Sanchez should be good but he cost the Jets the playoffs no doubt about it, the Bills are looking Edwards is not the guy.
    So lets feel a little lucky that since Dan this is the first time there is hope.

dolfan7171 and dolphindebby like this.
  20. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    He's a gunslinger that has confidence in his cannon of an arm.....those types of QB's don't hesitate to try and fit the ball into tight spaces. I think he'll be good.....but he's gonna throw INT's. It's just inherent for that style of play. Like a home run hitter, striking out more than a contact hitter.

21. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Then we need to change our offensive philosophy from a ball-control no mistake one to something that is a bit more forgiving and draft personnel accordingly.

jetssuck and dolfan7171 like this.
  22. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That makes sense....will they do that though?

23. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    A couple of big, play making targets would do wonders.....he'd no longer be throwing to guys who are sometimes running routes that are beyond their skill set or talent. His speed guy isn't consistent enough to stay on the field and he's left with two possession guys and a rookie that's just starting to develop. He's got a limited unit to work with right now, that's something that needs to be considered when evaluating him.

The only way we're ever gonna know if he's "the one", is to get him much better weapons. And IMO, as soon as possible.

24. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    To be honest, I don't know. While I expect them to try to improve the passing game I don't know if they want more of the offense we had last year with Pennington or more like the one we had with Frerotte. I think a playmaking TE would be important one way or the other.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  25. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I would love to see them break open the offense. It would be fun to watch though. :up: