1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano impressed with FA pickups except for.....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Oct 1, 2008.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    You guessed it .

• Though Miami's third-most expensive veteran offseason pickup (Ernest Wilford) has disappointed, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said he feels ''very good'' about the front office's most expensive veteran additions -- guard Justin Smiley (''been our most consistent starter on the offensive line,'' center Samson Satele said) and defensive end Randy Starks (sack and interception, and might be Miami's strongest player physically). ''All of a sudden the guy has really come on,'' coach Tony Sparano said of Starks. ``He's gotten in much better shape.''

UM's Shannon considers changes; Miami Dolphins' blackout streak at risk | MiamiHerald.com

Randy Starks has really come on strong and was a big part of the Patriots thrashing.Good signups overall IMO :yes:

azfinfanmang and baboo72 like this.
  2. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    Thanks crunch, I'm hoping that Wilford has been able to sort himself out over the bye and can start contributing. I had high hopes for him before pre-season

CrunchTime likes this.
  3. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    It hasnt been mentioned in the press but I am wondering if Wilfords problems are caused by his accumulated injuries.

I heard he almost did not pass his physical.

4. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    are metallic artifacts a scientific way of saying bullets?

5. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I edited my pot because I thought it might be misinterpreted.Not that I know of bro but he has had a lot of operations .

6. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    If I remember rightly he hurt his knee badly making a play late last year but after a few days it wasn't as serious as they thought? though with my memory being so bad it could have been the year before?! :no:

I'd love to see him on the field as an alternative to Fasano (big target) as I'm sure that the way he's been playing so far will see him getting a lot more attention. Hopefully an extra week with Chad P. will help as through camp the reps were split evenly so the receivers could never get used to one guy

7. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I'm keeping a close eye on Starks this season. So far he has been good, and I'd like to see that continue.

He's very young which is good and he had pretty high hopes coming out of college.

I'd be excited to see him emerge as a great DT. It would be one less issue that needs to be addressed during the draft and Free Agency

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im still wondering if Wilford maybe just isnt a practice type player. I say before we abandon him all together, lets put him on the field in game situations. I havent exactly seen him out there alot this year, mind you I havent been really looking for him either because I wasnt expecting to see him. Anyways though, lets just put him out there... see how he does in the game, with full reps. See how it goes, who knows, it could work out great. If he still majorly disappoints... then yeah, lets keep him on the bench. But there always seems to be guys that just dont practice well, but they perform during gametime. Maybe thats mr. wilford.... who knows...

9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Just keep that pot away from Ricky ...

:lol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Well he sure has been a disappointment so far, but I hope he gets a few more chances, I would like to see him turn things around and become a contributor. we need more and more successful hits in FA, to counteract all the failures of recent years. If I believed in Karma, I would say we were due.