1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano On The WC & Jason Allen

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    On Coach Sparano's local TV show yesterday, Kimbo ased him about the Wild Cat not doing as well as in the past, and about J Allen.

On the WC- We consider any play for 4 yards or more a plus play. So far this year we have run the WC 15 times, and 10 of those were plus plays. If this continues, we will continue using it.

On J Allen- After looking at the film, Jason Allen had two negative plays. On the Edwards TD, Jason knows that he HAS to make that tackle. It did not sound much like he cared about the turf or the slip.

He also did say that there were a lot of positives to build on from that game.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    kimbo slice hosts the tony sparano show?!

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    that would be awesome beyond belief :lol:

Two Tacos likes this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    im not being a dbag....thats the first thing i though of when i read that....i know now its probably kim bokamper......but i laughed hard picturing kimbo with rings and a huge necklace on, and his beard, asking sparano about the wildcat and getting a straight answer.

thats hilarious.

alen1, dolfan7171 and adamprez2003 like this.
  5. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Based on an over-hyped match, when I had the one and only displeasure in watching that Kimbo get his *** kicked, he would have been asking how Coach Ali was doing with this Packer team.

6. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    10 wildcat plays of 4 or more yards? That seems high. Perhaps the ones that were not positive plays were really bad so it feels worse than it is. I'm sure his calculations are correct.

Meaning: We shall still see more wildcat. I hope they made adjustments because teams have countered it much more effectively to stop the big play.

7. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    SICK, Although the post was a little "SICK," it was funny. And yes it was Bokamper, who may also be able to kick his ***. LOL

SICK likes this.
  8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    How about Kimbo Slice at Safety? :shifty:

9. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    The Wildcat in Miami has become the Mildcat. It scares no one. I am not being a wise *** - just stating the facts.

Stitches likes this.
  10. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I want to see the Wildcat return to the original Jet Sweep with Ricky in motion.

The direct snap with no motion is too easy to read.

11. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    At first, I thought so as well. However, he was there with his pad, stats, and likely had been prepped on the questions.

He may have some problems in time management but, knows how many snaps each player takes. Based on past success, 4 yards doesn't seem like much.

12. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I want the Wildcat to be a power-running formation - not a trick-play formation. The passing isn't even a problem to me - it is plays that take a long time to develop in the backfield.

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thats cause we have three new starters at both guard positions and center. once they jell they will get the drive needed to open the holes. so far its been about breakdowns of execution

14. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    So far this season, the WC seems out of sinc to me. Ronnie appears to be hesitating, similar to to White last year. I can't say if it's changes in our O, the D adapting, or Ronnie. It is not the same, although still not bad.

This cat may need a vet in Dr Thig but, will still show it's claws.

15. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    The funny thing is that there are half a dozen ways I could screw with the Wildcat to make it impossible to stop if I could have four backs in the backfield. Can anybody say quad read-option? Triple inside-outside option w/ a lead back? Hell, if you really want to **** with a defensive coordinator's head, the lead blocker could turn into a shovel pass option on the base I/O option play.

16. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I would like to see Polite lined up in the backfield behind Ronnie. Imagine, if you will, him leading Ronnie into a hole or, making one. Or, yeah let's take care of that CB blitz.

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'd like to see Ronnie lined up in the backfield behind Henne and have Chad play-action to Marshall for more than 4 yards. :shifty:

18. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    That's a great call, and I agree.

19. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I think Sparano's logic is that if you nail 4 yards on all 3 downs, you got yourself a new set and can keep marching up the field. Sure, that's great and dandy, but the wildcat in the way we're using it can't solely be measured on that.

A lot of argument has come up from the offense being taken out, and momentum being lost by changing into another package and subbing out personnel (mainly Henne). The interruption I'm sure can be taken care of by a big gain (8+ yards I'd say), but I don't think you can count 4 yards as a metric of success on drives like that.

I'm kind of up in the air with my opinion on it, but I don't think that 4 yard gains out of that formation equates to success. Maybe back when it was first used, but now from watching it just feels like a feast or famine formation.

20. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I understand, to an extent. If we run for 4 yards with or without Henne, how is it different?

21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    momentum, rythm.

Theres a reason dan marino said he would hate being taken out of the game when he got hot throwing the ball....messes with his momentum, rythm, and timing with the WRs

22. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Kim Bokamper assing me is definately not something I want to happen, poor Coach Sparano.

SICK likes this.
  23. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    lmfao :lol:

24. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm sure "Dan The Man" would say the same if he were cold, and just warming up. LOL

How does it differ from the end of a quarter or, a change of possession on a back to back turnover, which QB's deal with all the time?

25. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    DJ, Nice catch. LOL. However, you did add an s. Who care's? It was funny.

A wise man once said that if you forget to laugh, you forget to think.

26. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Well I think I was more trying to get at... 4 yards per attempt doesn't mean anything if it truly is (as many think) throwing our base offense off its rhythm in the next play or two and preventing that unit from averaging 4 per play.

27. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    That is a very fair point, and subject to debate. For me, I believe any Pro athlete can take a play off without losing what he has going. An incomplete pass does about the same other than going back and forth to the sidelines. Sometimes it "may" help. JMO

28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, and an offset i-formation is scary? Are there really any running formations that do scare people?

29. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    If it was up to Marino in his prime, he would have wanted to put 35 points on the scoreboard through the air all by himself before calling any running plays.

30. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    My problem isn't that they use the Wildcat. It's when they use the Wildcat.

Personally I'd rather just leave Henne on the field for 99% of the time. He's showing he can get it done now. Don't take him off the field. Keep he and his mind in the game. Put money in that play-action bank. Use the Wildcat on the goal line.

31. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's why I hate it the most.

I have a feeling we'll still get a heavy dose of it tonight though, especially if New England scores early.

32. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We had new starters last season too, at C and RG and it didn't seem to slow down the WC early.